U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 23,185 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of renting an apartment at W 112th and 7th Avenue. I haven't been to see it yet, and I want to make sure it's worth a viewing. How safe is this area? Would I be ok taking the subway home at 1 or 2am? I'm a petite female in her mid-20s, but I sort of look more like I'm 16-18. I currently live in the 70s on the UWS, which I know is ridiculously safe, but I can't afford to stay here. Also, what are the restaurants and shopping like? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:36 PM

2,521 posts, read 4,814,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betonseligkeit View Post
I'm thinking of renting an apartment at W 112th and 7th Avenue. I haven't been to see it yet, and I want to make sure it's worth a viewing. How safe is this area? Would I be ok taking the subway home at 1 or 2am? I'm a petite female in her mid-20s, but I sort of look more like I'm 16-18. I currently live in the 70s on the UWS, which I know is ridiculously safe, but I can't afford to stay here. Also, what are the restaurants and shopping like? Thanks!
My girlfriend was in a similar situation. She's 27, but about 100lbs and looks around 16 or so. Bartenders often refuse to serve her, no matter how many forms of ID she has...

She used to live around the corner from there at Lenox and 113th. I was never thrilled with the area, but I can't say I ever saw any serious crime. Also, you'd be a block to the west, and the further west you go the nicer it gets. The fried chicken places get swapped out for Starbucks.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 PM

3,039 posts, read 6,216,744 times
And that is why Harlem is going downhill... Not talking about the fried chicken joints here but it really is a shame to see the culture of a neighborhood that's been around for nearly 100 years slowly get wiped out for what has traditionally been considered the more important race even though they by far are still the minority in the area (only accounting for about 9% of the population)...

Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM

I'd prefer if this didn't turn into a race relations/white people are ruining the neighborhood thread. I'm really just interested in whether or not this would be a safe place for me to live.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 PM

963 posts, read 2,105,842 times
Harlem, like most historic and cultural neighborhoods in New York City will become a landmark known more for what it once was than what it is. That is inevitable. You'll be able to tell your children what it was like "back in the day."

All of Manhattan is changing. It is losing its rich ethnic culture and becoming an urban suburb. A very expensive suburb. I saw a story recently about a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment in Greenwich Villlage selling for 2 million. The real story lies in our job market. The New York City economy is not immune to what is happening in the national and international economy, and cannot sustain prosperity in an ever shrinking job market. We're going to see some real economic hardship in this city in the near future.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Does anyone else have some opinions on this? So far I've only gotten one answer that's helpful. Anyone live near there?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM

982 posts, read 2,937,178 times
My friend is short, and white and looks very young. She lives on 110th and 7th and she feels safe. She even takes the 2/3 subway after midnight and walks home. Of course, always be on alert.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,781,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betonseligkeit View Post
Does anyone else have some opinions on this? So far I've only gotten one answer that's helpful. Anyone live near there?
I live just west of there but I am in that area just about every day and have been for years. You should not necessarily listen to brokers or the development-interested press. It is not a great area. There is a minimum security prison on 110th, just east of ACP, but this is actually the least of your problems. St. Nicholas - not good. Lenox - not good.

If you must, I would look on FDB, bearing in mind that 114th Street is not good either (at all). But if you have walked around, you know this already. All of the side streets, off FDB, are variable, but mostly tend to be better moving west. The good thing about FDB: You need not go off the Blvd. for the subway. On the other hand, there are "grab and run" robberies quite frequently on FDB and on the subway platforms, so keep your valuables carefully if you do move there. These are not openly discussed, or at least not enough, but I have witnessed several and heard about many more.

113th off FDB is okay, many places on Morningside Avenue are okay below 116th, but there have been a number of shootings (by teenagers) lately, and the park is destroyed each weekend by the barbecue and motor bike-friendly crowd.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,781,192 times
I realized that I did not comment about shopping and restaurants.
We do most of that elsewhere.

Shopping is not good even on FDB, with the exception of the pet store just below 116th ("Posh Paws"). A new supermarket opened close to 110th, on St. Nicholas - Pioneer (?) I think. or another lower-end market brand.

The restaurants are vastly over-rated. Somehow, a different standard is applied here than is the case elsewhere in NYC. A kind of "new" Harlem is being hyped with great enthusiasm, and raving about third-rate food and non-existent service apparently plays a central role.

In most of the restaurants, service is normally abysmal, food okay at best. The best restaurant is perhaps Bad Horse Pizza, which has the drawback of being very expensive for what it is (123rd and FDB). I have not yet tried Harlem Tavern, on FDB and 116th. It got mixed reviews for food and bad reviews for service.

A new restaurant just opened in the exact area you mentioned - no idea how good, have not been there. Unfortunately, there was a shooting outside over the weekend.

There is a yoga studio somewhere on Lenox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City