Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,819 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My boyfriend, current roommate and I are relocating to Brooklyn. We're looking to move in mid-August. My boyfriend is completing his PhD at CUNY and we've pretty much decided to come along for the ride.
I'm a little concerned, though. The more I learn about NYC real estate the scarier it seems.
In Boston you typically pay first, last, security and sometimes a broker's fee (one month's rent or less). It's expensive but generally straightforward.
I've been reading that in NYC they ask for income verification, tax returns, etc! My roommate and I have a very small amount of money saved up for when we move, but will not have jobs until we get to the city. Will it be impossible to lock down an apartment in Brooklyn?
It also seems like craigslist is pretty scammy when it comes to NYC real estate. This is how I've always searched for places to live here in Boston, but these ads are especially deceptive.
My questions, I suppose, are as follows:
1.)What is the typical fee schedule for a Brooklyn apt?
2.) Is it realistic to look for a no-fee apartment? Am I just wasting my time?
3.) We're looking in Williamsburg and Prospect Heights for 3 bedroom apartments. Our max rent is $2,500. Is this realistic?
4.) Our priorities are accessibility to the MTA, price and safety. Are there are other neighborhoods that fit the bill that I haven't mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 AM

337 posts, read 966,552 times
why brooklyn?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 AM

337 posts, read 966,552 times
Is Brooklyn becoming a trendy address for transplants?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,192,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Is Brooklyn becoming a trendy address for transplants?
Are you really asking this lol??

But honestly, you'll get more bang for your buck in queens IMHO. Why everyone simply must live in brooklyn is beyond me...

Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 10,800 times
I think $2500 will do you very well in those neighborhoods. It's true that NY real estate is obnoxious, because they know there's so much demand. Craiglist is a horrible wasteland of lies and scams. Don't use craiglist. I like streeteasy.com--it has way more information and highlights no fee apartments. I think you'll find it far less depressing. When I got my apartment, we needed a lot of paperwork about income and stuff. What you guys need to get is a guarantor--do you have parents that would be willing to submit their tax returns? It doesn't cost them anything, it just bolsters your credibility as tenants.

If you're not finding good prospects in Brooklyn, you should also consider Morningside/Hamilton Heights or Astoria. Three people in a two-bedroom is a favorable position to be in. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM

824 posts, read 2,784,795 times
2.) Is it realistic to look for a no-fee apartment? Am I just wasting my time?

It all depends on how much work you are willing to do. Looking for an apartment without a broker involves a lot of shoe leather. In the old days this meant canvassing a neighborhood, knocking on doors, talking to doormen, talking to the super, following up on ads in the newspaper or telephone numbers on signs on the property saying apartment for rent. Nowadays it may still involve this, but there are more on websites now. Many management companies that own and/or maintain properties have websites where they list apartment availabilities, and you deal directly with them, bypassing a broker. You could do a google search for such companies. Then there are the listed by owner ads on Craigslist. Not all of them are scams.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by nyctc7; 06-26-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,348,135 times
i would work with a RE broker in Brooklyn. Fact call them let them know you do not have jobs but, are students. The school maybe able to help you.

I lived in the back bay of boston and a area of Brooklyn you may like is Brooklyn Heights.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Yeah because $2,500 will get you a 3 bedroom in brooklyn heights

Old 06-26-2011, 09:40 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,348,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yeah because $2,500 will get you a 3 bedroom in brooklyn heights

do your homework with a RE and you be surprised. there are not a lot but they do exist.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm way too lazy and I guess don't care THAT much, but see if you can link me to at least one if you could. I'm legitimately curious to see if that exists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: