Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:54 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times

Advertisements

so i think i saw one of the "mott haven yuppies" today. Total hipster getting off at 138th/concourse.

You have to give it up to the hipsters though. THey will move ANYWHERE. pink flip flops walking a dog in bedstuy .............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
Lol....I find the idea of a "hipster" funny. Just because you are a single, not ghetto...and not from the neighborhood you are quickly labled as something sinister...like a gentrifyer....a hipster...whatever. We are all human..and for the last person who doesn't know....Mott Haven and areas surrounding it in the Bronx...are pretty much the last truly affordable places to live. And EVERYONE, not just broke people of color...seek affordable housing in this city.

So yes you may see this person as a hipster...but more than likely he is just a guy trying to live cheaply in the city..and chose Mott Haven. Why is this a problem or something to be analyzed? There is room enough in Mott Haven, and the Bronx overall for the "hipsters", the wealthy, the poor, the middle, the blue color, families, yuppies, singles, and everythign else.

The Bronx is a bout inclusion, not exclusion..which is why you are now seeing those in flip flops! Everyone is welcome!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times
Default guy

Guy I didn't mean that in a bad context kinda way. It's just that when i've been down in bedstuy you see a few kids just minding their business and it's not exactly what I have been used to seeing down there. I am not saying i'm against it..... free nation right?

Somenoe made a point earlier (can't remember who) that, the "hipsters/yuppies" moving into bx areas like mott haven etc, cannot be good for the Neighborhoods. Because it raises rent, and pushes the locals out. so gentrification, as applied in this context, cannot be good for say.... MH.

I think another look at it will be why the poor stay poor and why the "locals" can't raise the neighborhoods by themselves.

anyway - please check your messages

Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
I know BX718...I am just bustin your ballz a bit. =) I understand that some people say that these new people moving in are bad for the neighborhood because they equate them moving in with hgiher rents, real estate values, and the unfounded fear of LLs forcing them out and being homeless.

These same people were the ones complaining about the immenses segregation that has occured, and the lack of resources in their communities. So if the new people and resources are not available..they complain..if the new people and resources come they complain...you will never win.

I welcome new people..as these communities have been isolated and extremely seregated for too long...which is why we have this intense and overwhelming sub-culture of ghetto behavior. The reintroduction of mainstream values and culturally accepted societal norms is critical to the members of these communities....and integrating these communities..instead of continuing to isolate them...is the only answer.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,075 times
To do this is a big mistake. Because if u put people with money in the area wat that does is raise the property value & once that goes up guess what that poor is **** out of luck because that raises the rent & the poor won't be able to pay the high rent that they want so the poor will have no choice but to move out!! Sad but this is tru for all the poor in NYC they are working on pushing us out.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,075 times
& yes it is a big mistake to let these people move into poor areas because at the end of the day they may have 200k or so to buy a condo. But the poor doesn't so what do u think will happen to them?? & with all the crime going on there how can u put people who dnt understand what life is like living in an area like Mott haven and expect them to live there in comfort? Or is the attitude now at days just lock up all the animals as these folks with money see us. What happens when one of them gets killed or robed? What are they gonna throw them under the jail for something that if it was done to a person of color or a person who is considered poor that he wud be out and givin a 2nd chance? It's a very big mistake but they dnt care because all they gonna do is lock up who ever messes with these Rich folks that are taking over the nieborhood. I suggest that every1 in the Mott haven area to find other places to move to because that is what they are working on its to bad that the poor has no voice!!!!! But when that rent goes up u all will see what I'm talking about.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebxbomber View Post
To do this is a big mistake. Because if u put people with money in the area wat that does is raise the property value & once that goes up guess what that poor is **** out of luck because that raises the rent & the poor won't be able to pay the high rent that they want so the poor will have no choice but to move out!! Sad but this is tru for all the poor in NYC they are working on pushing us out.
Quote:
& yes it is a big mistake to let these people move into poor areas because at the end of the day they may have 200k or so to buy a condo. But the poor doesn't so what do u think will happen to them?? & with all the crime going on there how can u put people who dnt understand what life is like living in an area like Mott haven and expect them to live there in comfort? Or is the attitude now at days just lock up all the animals as these folks with money see us. What happens when one of them gets killed or robed? What are they gonna throw them under the jail for something that if it was done to a person of color or a person who is considered poor that he wud be out and givin a 2nd chance? It's a very big mistake but they dnt care because all they gonna do is lock up who ever messes with these Rich folks that are taking over the nieborhood. I suggest that every1 in the Mott haven area to find other places to move to because that is what they are working on its to bad that the poor has no voice!!!!! But when that rent goes up u all will see what I'm talking about.
Bye, bye poor slum. Hello amenities and quality housing! We can only hope.

Poor ghettos are terrible, no matter the social problems remain. Most people in those areas do not advance. Mixed income is better. Mott Haven will be mixed income after gentrification thanks to the NYCHA. I hope all the slums in this city are gentrified. One can only hope. It benefits everyone.

I love "Hipsters" and "yuppies" or what I like to call them. Students and young professionals. Educated, trendy, and stand for what is in the city's best interest.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Half of my block in mott haven has already moved to florida and has no desires to move back. Alot of poor dominicans from washingtin heights and poor mexicans are moving into my block. If a white person gets harassed in mott haven which has happened I can tell you, cops wouldnt care, I told ya dont move here . Some cops in mott haven will tell white people dont move here its dangerous but the white folks dont listen.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Half of my block in mott haven has already moved to florida and has no desires to move back. Alot of poor dominicans from washingtin heights and poor mexicans are moving into my block. If a white person gets harassed in mott haven which has happened I can tell you, cops wouldnt care, I told ya dont move here . Some cops in mott haven will tell white people dont move here its dangerous but the white folks dont listen.
There have been Whites trickleing into the area for some time. Plus longstanding residents. Rates of violence on non-Hispanic Whites in low income sections of the city are minimal at best. Most violence here is young, poor Black or Hispanic male (of any race) on themselves. Not to mention many of the longstanding Puerto Rican residents are White; some "ghetto", some not, all New Yorker.

Mott Haven needs significant gentrification.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
There have been Whites trickleing into the area for some time. Plus longstanding residents. Rates of violence on non-Hispanic Whites in low income sections of the city are minimal at best. Most violence here is young, poor Black or Hispanic male (of any race) on themselves. Not to mention many of the longstanding Puerto Rican residents are White; some "ghetto", some not, all New Yorker.

Mott Haven needs significant gentrification.
Gentrification in mott haven has slowed but has stopped so far. Gentrification only spreaded to 134th street. There are some longstanding whites in mott haven. There is an irish family in thay area that has been a troubled family for almost a 100 years. There is also an old irish guy who still livea on my block. One of my first fights in mott haven was white people back in the early 90s they were serbs and they still live in the area and just as ghetto as the blacks. Believe or not most of the crime in mott have is comitted by blacks eventhough mott haven is majority hispanic. Mott haven will be a mixed income community in due time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City