Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,649,870 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/re...ref=realestate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM

435 posts, read 1,518,688 times
I'm glad they're cleaning up that area. I forsee the area south of the expressway getting better and better over the years.....

Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
I'm glad they're cleaning up that area. I forsee the area south of the expressway getting better and better over the years.....
....and don't complain when gentrification puts the neighborhood on lockdown!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:42 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,784,562 times
Who ever pays that much to live in that ****hole must love smoking the crack they will be selling on the stoop of their building.

Why don't they mention this building is across less then 100 yards from the Patterson Projects, two blocks from the Mitchell Projects, and 1 block from the Mott Haven projects.

Mott Haven doesn't have a "historical" district. They tore down half the neighborhood to building housing projects. The half with all the brownstones (the would be historical part). Only about 5 city blocks of brownstones remain in the whole neighborhood. The other side is all tenements with a mix of housing projects where vacant lots stood in the 60's and 70's. With a few newer subsidized apartment townhouses built in the late 90's.

One of the poorest neighborhoods in the USA having condos set for 300-700,000. I really hope the community fights this. It will in no way improve life for the residents of Mott Haven.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Who ever pays that much to live in that ****hole must love smoking the crack they will be selling on the stoop of their building.

Why don't they mention this building is across less then 100 yards from the Patterson Projects, two blocks from the Mitchell Projects, and 1 block from the Mott Haven projects.

Mott Haven doesn't have a "historical" district. They tore down half the neighborhood to building housing projects. The half with all the brownstones (the would be historical part). Only about 5 city blocks of brownstones remain in the whole neighborhood. The other side is all tenements with a mix of housing projects where vacant lots stood in the 60's and 70's. With a few newer subsidized apartment townhouses built in the late 90's.

One of the poorest neighborhoods in the USA having condos set for 300-700,000. I really hope the community fights this. It will in no way improve life for the residents of Mott Haven.
FYI, Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill in Brooklyn consist of Gowanus and Wycoff Houses, but both Carroll and Cobble are considered ultra-hip neibhborhoods! Anything is possible in this city!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
FYI, Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill in Brooklyn consist of Gowanus and Wycoff Houses, but both Carroll and Cobble are considered ultra-hip neibhborhoods! Anything is possible in this city!
Those neighborhoods are NOTHING like Mott Haven.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Those neighborhoods are NOTHING like Mott Haven.
....but them projects once had reps! And to some extent, still do!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
....but them projects once had reps! And to some extent, still do!
The difference is those neighborhoods you mentioned don't have nearly as much public housing. The vast majority of the housing in Mott Haven is low income. From over 10 huge different public housing developments, to numorous HUD, Section 8, SRO's, subsidized townhouses and many different forms of low income housing. This is why Mott Haven was declared in a study the poorest urban neighborhood in the USA.

Those areas you mentioned have maybe one NYCHA complex within the confines of the neighborhood. Mott Haven is basically made up of low income public housing.

Another difference is the type of housing. The majority of the residents in Mott Haven live in highrise NYCHA buildings. Next would be old run down pre war tenements. Then new construction low income apartment box buildings. Then subsidized new construction paper multifamily townhouses. A small minority live in brownstone style buildings (like I said only about 5 blocks left). Most of these dwellings are room for rent. Some are city SRO's. The bulk of Mott Havens brownstones were destroyed during the urban renewal days. Replaced by high rise public housing or destroyed by fires.

Mott Haven has been a ghetto for decades and will be for decades to come.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:29 AM

I'm not saying everything is perfect, but we've stopped partying like it's 1979 a long time ago!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,987,814 times
Hey scat I just came across this thread...I am a little late but here is my 2 cents. I read about the new condos going up and I was happy to see this kind of development coming to the community. Although some may see this as detrimental to the community..I see it as providing an alternate type of housing for those with the resources that may move out the community rather than stay and keep the money local, or to those that have otherwise shunned the community and may not consider it.

Why keep creating the endless low-income housing...healthy communities have a mix of housing....Mott Haven is heavily weighted towards the bottom..so why not mix in other types of housing to help intergate the neighborhood more..and bring some more money too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City