Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 06:30 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

At least the NYP had the decency divulge the piece was written by a staffer's daughter.
https://nypost.com/2018/03/31/i-lear...-high-schools/

Maybe the NYP should pay this staffer more so she could have afforded to send her precious daughter to a private high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 01:15 PM

804 posts, read 546,260 times
What I learned from this article?

Adderall must invest in Adderall. Better then coffee? Adderall must invest.

Just like charter schools they pass ( ignore if they are absent ) the kids even if they are not prepared ( that is how they stay on top charts ).

This writer studied French ( or speaks French ) in a school.

Principal is corrupted.

The students are corrupted

The writer thinks they are better or greater then her younger variants.

Note France is a really small place. So a top school is not to hard to find.

The writer thinks she is Condalisa Rice.

Admits her parents can not teach her how to use a credit-card, income-tax, mortgage, and also admits the teacher parent system fails.

Makes a big problem with community college??? Community college might have elderly people, ex-cons, mentally insane, and disabled people. However all colleges are the same when it comes to grades. That is what they care about.

Because people gave her a hard time in the high-school. Then looked at her stupid for not being corrupted.

Yes she is right. Many of the boomers do not care. But the boomers are waining and now we have the early Xers to think about.

The writer thinks there generation are special. I mean omgsh like if the last generation was not special, or the one before that.

Also college is a business. The idea is you go to expensive schools and then get into a specific areas

How about administrators and teachers start helping kids get more internships and open them up to different ways of thriving without a university degree?

My HS is one of the most biggest and worst on the list. It had programs, and all kinds of options for students. The problem was the parents did not attend.

Yes I am sure people will make an impact even if they get down on there knees and open there mouths. Especially from a her perspective. It does not mean you have big income in short time. Which is the goal.

Hannah Milic is the daughter of Isabel Vincent who works in the post.

For some reason Hannah is able to burn time learning martial arts from famous anime and is able to tour the world and nation without being concerned for money.

She can also afford college in Europe. Hurray.

Hannah is an ungrateful yuppie scum whining about something that clearly has no negative or positive impact on anybodies life at all.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:57 PM

983 posts, read 932,695 times
I teach at CUNY and a lot of people seem like they should be high school freshmen, not college freshmen... actually, not TOO many are like that, but more than I expected.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I teach at CUNY and a lot of people seem like they should be high school freshmen, not college freshmen... actually, not TOO many are like that, but more than I expected.

Leaving aside a few good programs (Hunter for nursing, Baruch for business), large swaths of CUNY especially the community colleges are what they are; refuge for NYC public and some private high school grads who have few to nil other options.

If you graduate from a NYC high school CUNY *must* accept; the only question is where the kid ends up; a two or four year school.

Things got so bad with CUNY's four year schools that former chancellor told NYC high schools/board of education they would stop mandatory acceptance all together unless high schools began graduating students better prepared to begin college level work. You have no idea how many NYC high school graduates, especially from public needed one, two or more semesters of remedial classes before they could even take a 100 level math, English or science class.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/23/n...to-meddle.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...lleges/384451/

Dropping the ball - NY Daily News

Open admissions killed City University of New York, that is a fact.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:18 PM

Back on topic...

Am still wondering why this chick's parents after spending all that money for Lycée Français de New York put her into a NYC public high school. I mean surely anyone with half a brain would have realized.......

If anything it is done the other way round; send your kid to the best public grade school you can get into; then private for middle/high school. That or move to the suburbs.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:55 PM

983 posts, read 932,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Leaving aside a few good programs (Hunter for nursing, Baruch for business), large swaths of CUNY especially the community colleges are what they are; refuge for NYC public and some private high school grads who have few to nil other options.

If you graduate from a NYC high school CUNY *must* accept
That hasn't been true since about 1995. But when it was true, it was a disaster.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
At least the NYP had the decency divulge the piece was written by a staffer's daughter.
https://nypost.com/2018/03/31/i-lear...-high-schools/

Maybe the NYP should pay this staffer more so she could have afforded to send her precious daughter to a private high school.
Beacon is probably as well regarded or more than any private high school here. The lines for open houses extend for blocks. I was a little turned off by the students who happened to be speaking at our open house? It was like every sentence sounded like a question? And I was like who talks like that in New York?

Last edited by yodel; 04-02-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:

Open admissions killed City University of New York, that is a fact.
I think they should keep open admission for Community colleges, with an option to transfer to the 4-year college if your grades are good enough.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Beacon is probably as well regarded or more than any private high school here.
No it is not, it is only well regarded in the context of being a good public school in an area with a scarcity for decent education and having the majority of families not be able to afford private school tuition ($52K+ annually). The admission rate says more about how bad the school options are in NYC than it does about the quality of the school.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Did Son Goku beat Jiren?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City