Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

I am planning my first trip into NYC and found a good rate downtown Lower Manhattan near Ground Zero ... Could anyone advise me whether this is a safe area for a single traveler and how difficult would it be to get around to the major NYC attractions via mass transit. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 24,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I am planning my first trip into NYC and found a good rate downtown Lower Manhattan near Ground Zero ... Could anyone advise me whether this is a safe area for a single traveler and how difficult would it be to get around to the major NYC attractions via mass transit. Thank you.
That would put you in the Financial District. My wife and I have lived in the neighborhood for several years and we never had any incidents that made us feel unsafe. It's also very convenient transit-wise since most of the subway lines all converge to within walking distance of each other in this part of the island.

You should feel happy with your choice of location . Have a great visit to NYC!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
DM sent Chatt

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM

58 posts, read 287,278 times
You're lucky that you got a good rate for hotels in that area, don't let it scare you after the 911 attack, the area is very safe and most of the tourist places in downtown are within walking distance from there such as Wall St, Seaport, Statue of Liberty ferry, and all major subway lines are in that area if you want to explore uptown. Definitely book it.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:27 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
The area is fine--and most of the subway lines in the city pass through the area, so mass transit is exceptionally convenient both coming and going. (Coming from your hometown to mine, however, means that you'll be at risk for being banned ).

Old 06-16-2011, 03:53 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
its a very safe area and transit is GREAT you have a lot of options with subways lines and buses Have fun

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The area is fine--and most of the subway lines in the city pass through the area, so mass transit is exceptionally convenient both coming and going. (Coming from your hometown to mine, however, means that you'll be at risk for being banned ).
Hahahaha! No dear Fred, I'm coming specifically to ban YOU! LOL!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
No, no, no--you can't ban me in my own home town. (You think I'm making this up? Wait 'til you get to the border!)

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
It's my favorite part of Manhattan. With the exception of Century 21 it is relatively quiet on weekends. I like that you are in close proximity to all the subway lines and I love running the Brooklyn Bridge in the morning. Nothing like seeing the sun come up over the Statue of Liberty!

Some of the prettiest architecture in the city is in the Financial District. Don't forget to ride the free Staten Island Ferry at dusk for amazing views of the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge PLUS the city lighting up for the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City