U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 10,756 times

Advertisements

I am 22 years old, no kids, no one to worry about but myself. I was considering moving to NYC. I already live in a fairly big city, but it's too slow for me and the thought of NYC being an urban jungle appeals to me. I have 3 years experience as a teller, and I feel that I'm pretty good at what I do.

But I need someone who lives in NYC to tell me like it is--let me know how the job market is, if maybe this wouldn't be such a good idea. I want to know what your daily life is like in NYC!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:31 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,490,524 times
Perhaps you should read thru the forum!

Btw, Tellers are poor and live in the Ghetto....

Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM

1,147 posts, read 3,180,218 times
Here's my advice: STAY WHERE YOU ARE!! lol.

Unless you have family here that will let you stay with them for free until you can get settled. You will not last that long here. Bank tellers in NYC get paid the same as everywhere else so there's really nothing much to gain by coming here if that's what's your plans are. In fact you're quality of life will be 10x's worse because of the high cost of living. What city do you live in now btw?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:29 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,095,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Here's my advice: STAY WHERE YOU ARE!! lol.

Unless you have family here that will let you stay with them for free until you can get settled. You will not last that long here. Bank tellers in NYC get paid the same as everywhere else so there's really nothing much to gain by coming here if that's what's your plans are. In fact you're quality of life will be 10x's worse because of the high cost of living. What city do you live in now btw?
Mayor is 100% correct.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 PM

340 posts, read 936,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An5380 View Post
I am 22 years old, no kids, no one to worry about but myself. I was considering moving to NYC. I already live in a fairly big city, but it's too slow for me and the thought of NYC being an urban jungle appeals to me. I have 3 years experience as a teller, and I feel that I'm pretty good at what I do.

But I need someone who lives in NYC to tell me like it is--let me know how the job market is, if maybe this wouldn't be such a good idea. I want to know what your daily life is like in NYC!

Thanks!
The job market is awful! Stay where you are. Besides we have more than enough transplants.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,095,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
The job market is awful! Stay where you are. Besides we have more than enough transplants.
Unfortunately it's true. The job market is terrible. I would be on the next flight outta here if I could be.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I live in Baltimore now. The cost of living here isn't as high as NYC. $1300 a month here can get you a luxury apartment downtown. I feel stuck and I need a change, but I do not want to make my quality of life worse. Thanks again for the input! I guess I'll just be visiting for the weekend! lol

Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM

9,168 posts, read 23,047,997 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys! I live in Baltimore now. The cost of living here isn't as high as NYC. $1300 a month here can get you a luxury apartment downtown. I feel stuck and I need a change, but I do not want to make my quality of life worse. Thanks again for the input! I guess I'll just be visiting for the weekend! lol
Quality of life has more to do with your state of mind than whatever luxuries you might get per dollar.

What kind of "quality" is there to your life if you are living in "a luxury apartment downtown" and are bored out of your mind,feeling unfulfilled and surrounded by people and a situation that doesn't feel you ? In such a case,"the luxury apartment downtown" is nothing more than a prison.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 AM

When I mentioned the luxury apartment, I was speaking in reference to the cost of living in NYC. I was simply making a comparison to what you can get here in Baltimore for $1300 compared to what you can get in NYC. Luxury means nothing to me, I never had it and probably never will. lol I am a person who is curious and wants to experience the world around me. But you are 100% right. People can have everything and still have nothing!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM

9,168 posts, read 23,047,997 times
Quote:
When I mentioned the luxury apartment, I was speaking in reference to the cost of living in NYC. I was simply making a comparison to what you can get here in Baltimore for $1300 compared to what you can get in NYC. Luxury means nothing to me, I never had it and probably never will. lol I am a person who is curious and wants to experience the world around me. But you are 100% right. People can have everything and still have nothing!
Good. So frequently on this site I see posts by people who desperately want to live in NYC for various reasons and all the naysayers pile on and tell them to forget it unless they will be making enough money to live in an expensive area of Manhattan or a trendy/expensive neighborhood in Brooklyn.Or they tell them they will never find a job or you have to have at least 10,000 in the bank as a cushion,the city will eat them up and spit them out,etc.Yet NYC is constantly being infused with new arrivals who manage to make a go of it and realize their dreams.

You will hear a lot from the defeated and disaffected and little from the happy and successful but it doesn't mean the former outnumber the latter.If you are young and have no family obligations and you want to live in and experience NYC and have the right attitude you can make it work.The wosrst thing that will happen is that you have to move back .Big deal at your age.I had no job when I moved to NYC and drove a taxi cab at night to pay the bills.

Americans have become so spoiled they are afraid to take chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City