Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times

Advertisements

I've never got any soft pretzels from street vendors before.
I always end up throwing them away after few minutes of
chewing. Since then, I give up on street pretzels all together.
From my own experience all the good soft preztels I had were
all from stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
I've noticed the quality of everything in NYC going down the toilet over the past 30 years... Pretzels are just another casualty of the great force of suck that plagues the area.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
In philly the fresh soft pretzals are 25 cents a piece, if you were to buy a stack from the factory direct, it'd probably be a dime or a nickle each. And it's much better than Aunt Annies. AA's runs about $3-4 per pretzle dipped in oil, butter and covered in cinnamon--no thanks.

The pizza is overrated (and over priced), and so are the water ices.

The only food stands out in NYC are the variety of it's highend restaurants, nothing else really.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 PM

58 posts, read 117,649 times
Those of you who can't find any good food in NYC are either extremely lazy or jumping to conclusions based on limited experience. You guys are seriously telling me there is no good affordable food in all of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and all the other areas in NY?

It's harder to find cheap, good food in Manhattan nowadays, but hardly impossible. There are literally like a million options if you include all the street carts. Maybe you guys just have outrageous standards?

And as for pizza, there is some outstanding pizza in NY. I guess it is overrated in that there are way too many mediocre pizza places popping up, but if you look even a little can easily find some good stuff.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 PM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
I always buy them when I'm in the city. I have noticed that some places are much better than others. They taste great after a few drinks.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensres View Post
Those of you who can't find any good food in NYC are either extremely lazy or jumping to conclusions based on limited experience. You guys are seriously telling me there is no good affordable food in all of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and all the other areas in NY?

It's harder to find cheap, good food in Manhattan nowadays, but hardly impossible. There are literally like a million options if you include all the street carts. Maybe you guys just have outrageous standards?

And as for pizza, there is some outstanding pizza in NY. I guess it is overrated in that there are way too many mediocre pizza places popping up, but if you look even a little can easily find some good stuff.
No... I think NYC got the best foods in the world. We are talking
about pretzels from street vendors sucking big time only.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Disappointing from carts:

Pretzels, candied nuts of any kind (bait-n-switch with a smaller bag than on display), chestnuts (tiny bag, half of them are rotten or raw), hot dogs (just meh)

Great from carts:

Coffee!! (I don't care where you go, it's hot and good, a buck a cup, and skillful flirting by the cart guy!), pastries (also a buck and fresh)

Could go either way:

Falafel, shawarma / gyros, tacos

Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
just go to auntie annes or pretzel time, the street pretzels are trash.

Aunt Annies pretzels are great --- but NOTHING beats a NYC street vendor pretzel (at least the ones "back in the day"). I know what the OP is talking about. A couple of weeks ago, I just had a taste for a pretzel and it was disgusting: hard as a rock, dry as all heck, and no taste at all. It could have been a piece of cardboard with rock salt on it for all I knew. I tossed it out --- I don't even think the pigeons would have wanted it!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM

58 posts, read 117,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
No... I think NYC got the best foods in the world. We are talking
about pretzels from street vendors sucking big time only.
Pretty sure he was refering to all food in Nyc. I never get anything from those pretzel carts, so I can't really comment on that.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensres View Post
Pretty sure he was refering to all food in Nyc. I never get anything from those pretzel carts, so I can't really comment on that.
Even if he did, it is getting tougher to find good cheap eats. You're right that it is out there and you have to look hard, but I have noticed a decline.

Hubs and I ordered take out twice in one night on Saturday; twice because the first was so terrible we couldn't eat it, and the second order from a different place was terrible also. After spending $70 on takeout that sucked, we just gave up and went to bed hungry. Almost all take out/cheap places that we've enjoyed for years are really slipping and harder to replace.

As for the pretzels, it's been years since I had a good one from a cart. I gave up on that too. They used to be a staple of mine for after-school eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City