Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 PM

82 posts, read 175,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Very bad neighborhood. It was nice back when I grew up there. It was mostly working class Irish and Italian. Then the hideous "Brownstoners" came in the mid to late sixties and pushed out the street gangs.
Say what? :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 PM

518 posts, read 825,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedisahellofadrug_ View Post
Say what? :/

It's true. The Slope was at one time full of guys named Lefty and
Whitey.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Park Slope is one of the best neighborhoods in New York City.
It is also probably the best neighborhood in the outer boroughs of NYC outside Manhattan.

I like the architecture in Park Slope with the brownstones as well as some of the art deco architecture.

Also, I like Prospect Park which is one of the best urban parks ever. I especially like the area of Prospect Park around Grand Army Plaza with the cool monument structures there and Prospect Park West. Also the Brooklyn public library and Brooklyn museums is close by from there.

Also, Park Slope in the past few years seems like it is getting a lot more racial integration for whites, asians, blacks, and hispanics. It used to be kind of segregated as recently as a decade ago but definitely becoming much more racially integrated.

It is also close in distance to other great neighborhoods such as the great neighborhoods in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Park Slope also has a low crime rate.

It is such a great role model for what a good neighborhood can be like.

I can easily say lots of equally great things like this about plenty of other neighborhoods in New York such as for the Upper West Side, Upper East Side, East Village, West Village, Tribeca, Soho/Noho, Williamsburg, and some others. But this is about Park Slope in particular.

So yeah. Park Slope is not the only place where I have such positive opinions about.
Park slope is relatively safe and it's a really nice area. You have to have money to live over there. Park slope also has nice restaurants and a lot of things to do. I agree with everything you said.

Quote:
Very bad neighborhood. It was nice back when I grew up there. It was mostly working class Irish and Italian. Then the hideous "Brownstoners" came in the mid to late sixties and pushed out the street gangs.
There are gangs everywhere in NYC. It's not a bad area.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:31 PM

88 posts, read 311,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Thanks.

Which years do you think Park Slope got gentrified, more higher income, more racially integrated, and becoming more community oriented/vibrant/attractive to all sectors of the NYC population?

I thought Park Slope was like that for a long time like since the 1970s or even earlier than that. But is it really more recent than that?

However, what seems recent without doubt is the racial integration in Park Slope. This seemed to happen in the past few years and since the early 2000s.

Yeah, since Park Slope is such a desirable neighborhood I am worried that prices will go up in Park Slope. But at this point, it seems more affordable than most areas of Manhattan. I hope it stays that way and prices don't go up.
I can remember when I was in high school back in the late 50's, meeting a girl at a party in nearby Windsor Terrace. After we fooled around for a while on a Prospect Park bench, some friends of hers came by in a car and we ended up going to another party at a gorgeous brownstone in Park Slope. For me, it was like another world compared to my neighborhood.

So I would say the part of park Slope with the biggest, nicest brownstones was pretty exclusive going back to at least the 40's, and it was certainly the nicest neighborhood in Brooklyn going at least that far back . I think gentrification of the nearby areas (what I would call southern Park Slope) began probably in the 60's, but I can't be sure.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkBorough View Post
Yes! Big, brick and foreboding---urban. What I meant is that because people read about all of the amenities and that it's a little ways from Manhattan they assume it has a feel like, I don't know, Kew Gardens? I've heard this kind of disappointment more than once. Like I said I like Park Slope but it's more city-like than the stuff transplants read about it leads them to believe. That's all!
That's from nit-wits whose only 'urban' knowledge is of suburban cities, which really aren't cities at all.

Transplants do not read about any such thing, as such is never nor has been writtin. The nit wits simply have no urban base of reference. Consequently, they apply and extrapolate their narrow knowledge and experience.

They really s/n have come. Only the stupid would find the Montauk Club foreboding. BOO!

This is precisely the sort of thing the original gentrifiers, with their 'Back to the City' movement, intended to forestall in their children----narrowness of mind and experience!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Park Slope Pro
1. Considered best neighborhood in NYC
2. Shops, amenities, Prospect Park
3. great transportation options (15 minutes to city)

Park Slope Con
1. Expensive
2. Lack of racial diversity over years
3. Condo glut!
Not all true.

It is NOT the best in NYC! It is the second best neighborhood in Brooklyn, and, rivals the UWS.

It is roughly 30 minutes to Manhattan, IF you can manage to squeeze onto a train during morning rush. Significant issue.

True, diversity has eroded over time and so has the true nature of the neighborhhood.

Few new condo/coops are found int the heart of the neighborhood. Most have been built on the periphery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkBorough View Post
Yes there used to be more of a Latin flavor back when I was a kid, especially along Fifth! Now you mostly hear skanks bragging about their pilates classes in English on that thoroughfare!
5th Ave, form Flatbush to 9th St. used to be a South Bronx like ghetto too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
excellent points, the pastpresentandfuture...

Park Slope is one of those areas that got "gentrified" in a short period of time...Great because it made the area safe and more community oriented/vibrant/attractive to all sectors of the NYC population, but bad because prices are through the roof for lower middle income households.
Park Slope began a period of 'urban pioneering' during the white flight of the 70s. Later during the 80s began the original gentrification period. What you are familiar with is a third wave. Brooklyn Heights was the first gentrified neighorhood in the country originating the concept of, 'authentic'. Park Slope was the second. BTW, PS, particularly the North Slope was never intended as an area for the middle income. As far as income, it is what it was intended to be.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Park Slope is where most of the residents from the Upper East/West side of Manhattan now live after being priced out of the city...
Its a nice area, parking around there is a real PITA but if you can afford to live there - knock yourself out. It has gorgeous historic brownstone buildings that are very appealing.
That is only true of those on a Brownstone hunt.

Most move to PS, from those areas, because of its rep as a (liberal progressive) place of nesting, family and community, along with hopes of enrolling their children in one of the best public elementary schools in the city.

All of that plus more is in VERY high demand, so comes at significant cost to own and/or to rent. It has been this way for more than 20 years now.

It is very much like the UWS and/or the West Village, but on a smaller less dense scale.

Brooklyn Heights is a very similar neighborhood, but is even more expensive.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 30,344 times
Park Slope is a great place to live but expensive...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:38 AM

337 posts, read 968,961 times
Think Michigan,Ohio,or Minnesota cause thats where most of the residents are from.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
I agree, horrible neighborhood. No gangs, very little crime, mostly upper class residents, well kept homes, and plently of awful nightlife. I would choose Brownsville or East New York anyday of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City