Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,887 times

Advertisements

Is South Ozone Park (11420) a good area to purchase a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
South Ozone Park has been declining for a while now and it's a pretty bad area today.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Define "good". The area is relatively safe (ie unlikely to receive gun shot wounds if you walk to the corner grocery store at 10 pm) but extremely congested. My parents live right next to Ozone Park and were considering buying a house there but this was almost 15 years ago before the majority of Ozone Park/Woodhaven/Richmond Hill experienced "white flight".

The neighborhood is mixed, lots of Indians/Southeast Asians (the part where it borders Richmond Hill is sometimes called "Little India" by some people), many Hispanics and Latin Americans as well - African Americans, not so much. The homes which have many residents of Indian descent tend to be well kept (pretty brickwork, granite staircases, remodeled windows/driveways, etc).

The houses will vary based on which section you are looking at - some blocks have better upkeep than others based on the residents who live on it...The only crappy part about is the parking spots - there are easily 2-4 cars per household which makes finding a spot in front of your house almost impossible unless you are vigilant every second. Unless you buy a home with a large driveway, you are at the mercy of off-street parking which is difficult to find after 6 or 7 pm on weekdays.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:49 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
By you're question i'm assuming you mean, is it a good investment... and the answer is no. Legaldiva is right in the sense that it's not a dangerous neighborhood though it's not great but the only transitioning it's doing is turning from a somewhat working class white area into a working class indian/hispanic/black area for the most part. It is mostly indian and hispanic but there is still a solid amount of black and white folk in the area as well...

There's just not much there in terms of development... If you're looking to settle down I'd say it's a pretty good area to do so but aside from that I wouldn't recommend it...

Old 06-20-2011, 04:54 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
One downside to this neighborhood is transportation. Personally I hate living in 2 fare zones (technically 1 fare now). You either have to take the Q9 to Jamaica for the E train or the Q7 to Rockaway Boulevard for the A train. If you work at JFK however its really convenient in that respect. I would say that the best part of the neighborhood is south of Rockaway Boulevard.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
as a person who is in Woodhaven now,( I am in 11421) I am leaving for greener pastures. The area you are speaking of is not dangerous, or I should say you don't have to take extra precaution, but it is not (IMHO) a good place to raise your kids or put down roots.

Super congested, a lot of low quality 99 cent stores and sub part supermarkets. No parking EVER. A lot of single family homes converted into SRO's (single room occupancy) Very noisy and on the main avenues very dirty.

And as far as I can see, the area is on a slow slide down.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Define "good". The area is relatively safe (ie unlikely to receive gun shot wounds if you walk to the corner grocery store at 10 pm) but extremely congested. My parents live right next to Ozone Park and were considering buying a house there but this was almost 15 years ago before the majority of Ozone Park/Woodhaven/Richmond Hill experienced "white flight".

The neighborhood is mixed, lots of Indians/Southeast Asians (the part where it borders Richmond Hill is sometimes called "Little India" by some people), many Hispanics and Latin Americans as well - African Americans, not so much. The homes which have many residents of Indian descent tend to be well kept (pretty brickwork, granite staircases, remodeled windows/driveways, etc).

The houses will vary based on which section you are looking at - some blocks have better upkeep than others based on the residents who live on it...The only crappy part about is the parking spots - there are easily 2-4 cars per household which makes finding a spot in front of your house almost impossible unless you are vigilant every second. Unless you buy a home with a large driveway, you are at the mercy of off-street parking which is difficult to find after 6 or 7 pm on weekdays.
Truth to be told "white flight" has been happening in SOP long before just 15 years ago. The area was started to go into transition as far back in the late 80s. In 1986 my ex and I were visiting New York and we took a wrong turn and got off the highway somewhere in Ozone Park. We have noticed the demographic change even back then ( of course there were still many "old school whites" left at the time). In fact we decided to have dinner nearby and not too far where we got off we have found a business district under the elevated tracks with alot of mom and pop restaurants of various ethnic cuisines. We chose a place that was an interesting combination of Chinese and Puerto Rican fare ( I have long forgotten the name of the place nor do I know if it is still there). The food was delicious and the service was relatively friendly, but our server had a hard time understanding English. Even back then ethnic change was inevitable.

Last edited by otters21; 06-22-2011 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM

70 posts, read 295,845 times
The area around Aqueduct Racetrack is pretty nice. I have a friend that lives in the area, rents an apartment in a private home and its always peaceful in the area.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I used to live in South Ozone Park (aka: Oz) a long time ago. About 3 years ago, I was looking for a new apartment and went to South Ozone Park --- I was in shock! The area is disgusting now. I wouldn't touch it with a 50 foot pole. No, an "investment property" in that area is NOT a good idea. It won't appreciate in value and the only tenants you're likely to get are Section 8 or welfare bums who will destroy the property.

As far as Woodhaven, Richmond Hill, etc.... They're just as bad. That entire area of Queens has gone completely downhill.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
I was in South Ozone Park not too long ago, it didn't seem bad at all but I wouldn't want to live there, it seems kind of boring and it's relatively far from Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City