Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 12,896 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm an advanced art student looking to start attending the Art Students League by the fall of 2012.
Of course, my plans are to come with enough savings to carry me for two school semesters (about six months) minimum. Beyond that, I'm worried about whether or not I'd be able to find sufficient work of any kind to live on, or have to leave after only one school year.

Do portrait sketch artists still exist in NYC? I'm talking about people who specifically do it in public for money.
I'm thinking a possible supplement to my income could be doing portrait sketches in public for tourists or others, but I'm not sure what the situation is with that these days...it would be great way to keep my abilities sharp when outside of classes, too.
I know that NYC has a busker audition for the MUNY, but do sketch artists have to audition for certain spots in the city, like I've heard they do in New Orleans, or can you just do it wherever it's allowed with a street performer permit, like in Chicago?
OR...have the police simply run off all the sketch artists under threat of arrest?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting to clutter the streets with junk art.
I'm only wanting to go to the Art Students League for as long as necessary, and then GTHO of NYC, but still afford to eat some peanut butter and jelly while I'm in school. Just considering the alternatives if the unemployment rate is still just as high a year and a half from now.

I've tried to find info on this, but the only recent stuff I can find is articles and websites for buskers, not for sketch artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:42 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times
Heya,

It is brutal here for artists because the arena is flooded. It may be hard to claw out a niche for yourself in that environment even if your work is supurb.

It's been many years since I've seen a portrait artist, my stomping grounds are the union square area. Maybe others can report in on different areas.

There may be licencing involved, most people who I see selling art in Union Square have to get permission to set up shop. I'm not sure what the fees or procedure is. If you get a chance, maybe visit some of the artists there and ask how biz has been and what you can expect.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
I see them all the time on Central Park South, by 6th Avenue.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM

263 posts, read 1,004,963 times
I see quite a few on 5th Avenue, just north of Central Park South.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Okay, thanks for the info. I figured there would be artists in Central Park, if there were any at all, but you just don't hear about them on the internet very often.

@Alkonost: Yeah, I figured that the competition might be fierce, but I'm only thinking of a backup plan, really. I'd still like to keep all legal options open in case times get a little bit hard.
Most of the time when I'm painting out in the open, I get inquiries about selling my art. That's mostly dealing off the street at a later time, rather than a direct sale.
Good thing life portraits are my specialty. At least nobody would be offended because I sucked. I hate those "I drew your portrait, even if it's not so good, so pay up" guys that used to try and scam people in Chicago.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
I googled the area that I always see them at and sure enough you can see how many there usually are

Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM

I just saw some video from last year posted on the Central Park Portrait Exchange website.

Dang! Those artists literally have to run to stake out their territory when the park opens! New Bloomberg rules, from what it says. Guess there was a big to-do about it last year, with protests and everything, but the artists still lost the court battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City