Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiano 718 View Post
so what areas does dominicans and puerto ricans seems to move after new york
For example would they move to north jersey, long island , PHILADELPHIA or florida
Biggest shifts to other cities for Puerto Ricans and Domincans

Reading, PA
Poconos
Paterson, NJ
Parts of North and South Carolina
Orlando, Florida
Miami, Florida

Just off the top of my head these are some of the areas... That being said, as others have mentioned on here... The PR population in this city is still very strong, the only difference is that it isn't concentrated in certain pockets like it used to be...

Whereas in 1980 Let's say 60-70% of Bushwick's overall population was Puerto Rican, now it may be 25-30% Puerto Rican overall... But areas like Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth and even parts of Middle Village have significant Puerto Rican populations... This has happened in many areas across the city... Puerto Ricans are no longer moving into former PR strongholds but rather are either moving to other areas across the country or into more suburban quieter environments across the city...

Staten Island and Queens would be examples of this case...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM

31 posts, read 61,300 times
what about philadelphia

Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itiano 718 View Post
what about philadelphia
What about it?

I have a source that has the info by zip code, but I'm not sure where to find one for the whole city. (Probably one of those Census Summary file sheets).

I'd say it's increasing there. For instance, here is a zip code in Kensington (which has a large PR population), which went from 26% PR to 35% PR over the past 10 years. I'm sure if you check out other zip codes, you'll see a similar trend.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM

578 posts, read 962,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Yea in 2000 Puerto Ricans were pretty much the sole hispanic group in the neighborhood... Again not going on census tracts but just on living around the area i'd say it was somewhere around 60/35/5 Hispanic/Black/white and asian but about 70% of those 60% hispanics were Puerto Rican... the rest of the breakdown probably went somewhere around 15% Dominican out of the hispanics and 15% Ecuadorian/Mexican/everything else... They began to make their presence felt way more towards the mid 2000s but by the end of the 2000s it just seemed as if they had peaked already in the neighborhood... 2010 was like the last year where you saw a good amount of Dominicans in Bushwick... And the Trinitarios that used to have a real strong presence in Bushwick and Ridgewood since the mid 90s just either completely disappeared, cleaned up their act or got wiped out by other crews...

I know that in Ridgewood late 90s to early 2000s they had a couple of different chapters... They had the gates chapter on woodward and gates where they used to hang out next to that party hall spot and they had the himrod chapter not too far from where I live at between seneca and cypress and these guys were alot more active than the other chapters and they used to knock heads with kings and bloods all the time by Cleveland Park... They also had a small set on Grove St. but Grove was mixed between Kings and Trinitarios so that block was always hot especially from Onderdonk ave in Ridgewood down through Bushwick... same thing went for Palmetto, Madison, Cornelia and most of the blocks from George St. down to Cooper towards the Southwest end of Ridgewood...

That being said, the area has cleaned up alot since then... even though there seems to be a small resurgence resently in gang activity, it's still nowhere near what it used to be in the area 10-15 years ago... and I do think alot of it has to do with the trinitarios no longer being a major factor in the neighborhood... These guys were fearless, they used to go against anybody and everybody when they were active... It's probably why alot of them are in jail serving significant sentences...
Brooklyn has always had a lot of Panamanians as well!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

Another thing I noticed but I do think that this is more a sign of the advancement in technology is the fact that the new group of new yorkers (eastern europeans, south and central americans, and a new middle class group of african and caribbean folk (to a far lesser extent)), do not seek to get to know their neighbors or hang out with locals the way previous generation used to dobefore...
Maybe they are too busy working long hours to pay the high rents/mortgages and private school, given that most NYC public schools are substandard. They do not benefit from rent controlled housing that older groups do.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Most of the Southern Brooklyn communities will be overrun by Chinese in another 5-10 years. When I lived in Sheepshead Bay in 2000, it was only about 5 blocks of Chinese stores, today it is only 20+ blocks now and development there is increasing even faster. This is not including 8th ave + 60th street where there's already 20+ blocks of chinese stores and communities.

Russians, Italians, Hispanics are moving out of Brooklyn into SI and NJ.

Other than the white yuppies in downtown Brooklyn, no other ethnic group growing as fast as the Chinese in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City