Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:54 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL, what makes you think that is even remotely true?

Not remotley true? Ok, so are you suggesting that a good amount of professional black men in Atlanta are not, in fact transplants from other cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:03 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Not remotley true? Ok, so are you suggesting that a good amount of professional black men in Atlanta are not, in fact transplants from other cities?
Even though I wasn't the poster that questioned your previous post, are you stating from other cities in general across the US, or from NYC and Chicago as you stated previously?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Thank you. Also very good points made by you. It seems that we have this attitude....live in the 5 boroughs or nothing. The upstate NY region is beautiful. A sister of a friend of mine works in a Manhattan hospital as a nurse and purchased a home in Middletown NY. She commutes to Manhattan everyday, has been commuting for years and does not have a problem with it.

It is all about peoples perception of a situation that makes all the difference. But it seems that some would rather complain about the cost of living here while doing nothing to find a solution to the problem.
True and places like Beacon, Peekskill, Nyack and parts of Orange County, among others, could be good alternatives. It would be interesting to see what happens if the high speed rail project actually happens too.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Even though I wasn't the poster that questioned your previous post, are you stating from other cities in general across the US, or from NYC and Chicago as you stated previously?
I had NYC (metro) and Chicago in mind, honestly I can't back it up with solid figures, but I would say its safe to say from different cities. Specifically Northern cities. Those two seem to be among the most common I've come across.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I had NYC (metro) and Chicago in mind, honestly I can't back it up with solid figures, but I would say its safe to say from different cities. Specifically Northern cities. Those two seem to be among the most common I've come across.
What about Washington DC. DC is loosiong thier black population. If I remember correctly there was a video posted on AOL about a predominatly black niegborhood in the DC and now they area has gentrifyed with many new comers from across the country while native residents are moving out elsewhere. For a while DC has been a Black city.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I guess I stand corrected. Black men are doing amazingly well here. They possess most of the positions of power in corporate america. They also own property and investments. What was I thinking to make such a ridiculous statement?

I just remembered what a friend of mine observed at a dinner party. I totally get it now. Thanks.
Sarcasm... We'll agree to disagree and leave it at that. Just know that your opinion does not blanket the entire black population.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times
Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Boooooohooooo.

People who can't afford the city are leaving. Black, purple, yellow, white, brown and orange. If they can't afford the city, they're doing the SMART thing and moving to a place that they CAN afford.

End of subject.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What about Washington DC. DC is loosiong thier black population. If I remember correctly there was a video posted on AOL about a predominatly black niegborhood in the DC and now they area has gentrifyed with many new comers from across the country while native residents are moving out elsewhere. For a while DC has been a Black city.

What's funny is DC is considered like an East Coast version of Atlanta. Alot of Black professionals are there and have relocated there from other places, however the black middle class, especially those who lived in the historic neighborhoods have been priced out in many areas, however unlike NY it seems most of them are moving to nearby suburbs like PG County and whatnot. And you're right, growing up I always remembered DC as a "Chocolate City".

Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
anon1, your entitled to your opinion but I just disagree with you a tad about what the motivating factors are. The main ones are economic. The jobs that were the base for the Black middle class just no longer exist in New York anymore. I don't really think it's sad because it's a normal chain of events. If people are better off elsewhere, more power to them.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM

233 posts, read 906,774 times
Default Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Boooooohooooo.

People who can't afford the city are leaving. Black, purple, yellow, white, brown and orange. If they can't afford the city, they're doing the SMART thing and moving to a place that they CAN afford.

End of subject.
I don't know if it is solely about not being able to afford, but more like wanting more bang for your buck.

1. Why pay $15k - $20K in property taxes when you can easily pay $1k elsewhere?

2. Why pay $2k for a cramped 1 bedroom when you can pay $800 for a 3 bedroom in a brand new development with a swimming pool, club house, theater room, Volley ball court and tennis court?

3. Why bother with alternate side street parking?

4. Why pay for the increasing transit fares?

I think NYC is fine if you are young and just want to have fun and don't mind having roommates or living in a small apartment. But, there comes a point when you would like to see the result of killing yourself working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City