Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 31,687 times

Advertisements

I have Jury Duty next week in Brooklyn , this is my first time going and I am nervous. I am a college student and taking a summer class , so I cannot serve on a case , but is that a valid excuse? I also work. How long is a typical case? What is it like there? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:03 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo100 View Post
I have Jury Duty next week in Brooklyn , this is my first time going and I am nervous. I am a college student and taking a summer class , so I cannot serve on a case , but is that a valid excuse? I also work. How long is a typical case? What is it like there? Thank you.
They're not going to take to because you're a student. Just show up so you can get dismissed.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They're not going to take to because you're a student. Just show up so you can get dismissed.
Thank you , can I be sure of this? Who will question me?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo100 View Post
Thank you , can I be sure of this? Who will question me?
When I was in college I was dismissed because I was a student. I hope you will not require anymore reassurance.
As for who will ask you, there are clerks that process everybody incoming.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
When I was in college I was dismissed because I was a student. I hope you will not require anymore reassurance.
As for who will ask you, there are clerks that process everybody incoming.
Thank you for your help.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 PM

14 posts, read 38,016 times
The summons lists who is exempt and how to postpone.

The most you will have to do is a day of voire dire questioning or waiting. Jurors are called in randomly from the waiting room to a jury panel for voire dire questioning. The lawyers select some or none of them. The rejects are returned to the waiting room and wait to be called to another jury panel.

Brooklyn has the largest jury pool and they don't need most of the people called. Brooklyn courts are dead in the summer. There are not many trials in session. The lawyers will ask the group during voire dire who doesn't want to be on that jury. They'll mention how long. Just tell them you're a working student and they will cut you loose. They have plenty of other people to choose from.

Everyone left in the waiting room is given a proof of service letter and dismissed that afternoon. This is for Brooklyn only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City