Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM

128 posts, read 250,635 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Brooklyn and work in downtown Manhattan. I will be moving next summer and really wanted to find a place in a rural area but I'm worried about commuting to work . All my life I've been using public transportation to get to school/work and never driven car but I think it's time I get that driver's license I just really wanted to find an area that is nice and peaceful, maybe a forest or a lake. I guess I'm dreaming too much Are there any options I could look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM

58 posts, read 287,271 times
You might want to consider Arverne By the Sea in Rockaway Queens, it's a new neighborhood in development for the last few years. I was looking for some rural area as well and thinking of moving to Philly, NJ or upstate NY, but after I went to their open house then I immediately fell in love with it. It's right next to a the boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean so it will perfect for the summer. It's close to the A train so you don't need to drive to work, but far enough from Manhattan that you still feel like in a rural area. I bought my first house there last year and planning to movein by yearend.

Link: Arverne by the Sea, New York City's Oceanfront Community

Old 06-23-2011, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 32,609 times
Not sure how expensive it is but Fieldston in the Bronx is the closest thing to rural I have seen within city limits.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 PM

125 posts, read 333,671 times
I'm not sure rural is the right term, but there's Latourette Park and William T Davis Wildlife refugee in Staten Island. Also, Oakwood Beach.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
You obviously are not a new yorker.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Move to Staten Island and take the ferry to work.There are some beautiful areas of SI.

Or you could move to my neighborhood in The Bronx, across the street from The Botanical Garden.There is a real virgin forest with a river, with rapids and waterfalls, in there.... less than a 10 minute walk.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 PM

82 posts, read 175,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by post67 View Post
You might want to consider Arverne By the Sea in Rockaway Queens, it's a new neighborhood in development for the last few years. I was looking for some rural area as well and thinking of moving to Philly, NJ or upstate NY, but after I went to their open house then I immediately fell in love with it. It's right next to a the boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean so it will perfect for the summer. It's close to the A train so you don't need to drive to work, but far enough from Manhattan that you still feel like in a rural area. I bought my first house there last year and planning to movein by yearend.

Link: Arverne by the Sea, New York City's Oceanfront Community
No disrespect but I lived in the rockaways for 12 years and its pretty far from rural. In 2005 when I first noticed they were doing construction I saw how cheap and half-assed they were building those homes. Those pieces of sh.its went up faster than I could blink my eyes. NO LIE OR EXAGGERATION. I used to go to Stella Maris h.s. and I would drive through arverne everyday and actually witness these homes being built. Horrible quality and built in a rush.
I was also on Google street view and was looking through the rockaways. It's all construction and garbage. If the rumors are true about the rockaways going through some sort of gentrification, its not quite there yet and I wouldn't invest my money in a home that is built from ****, so that hurricane bob can come and blow it to hell.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedisahellofadrug_ View Post
No disrespect but I lived in the rockaways for 12 years and its pretty far from rural. In 2005 when I first noticed they were doing construction I saw how cheap and half-assed they were building those homes. Those pieces of sh.its went up faster than I could blink my eyes. NO LIE OR EXAGGERATION. I used to go to Stella Maris h.s. and I would drive through arverne everyday and actually witness these homes being built. Horrible quality and built in a rush.
I was also on Google street view and was looking through the rockaways. It's all construction and garbage. If the rumors are true about the rockaways going through some sort of gentrification, its not quite there yet and I wouldn't invest my money in a home that is built from ****, so that hurricane bob can come and blow it to hell.
Have you been in any of the homes built at Arverne by the Sea? I actually went in all 6 models and the craftsmanship seemed quite solid; my firm deals with architecture/engineering. You were able to tell the quality from Google Street views? Impressive. I guess weed is a hell of a drug after all.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-23-2011, 08:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedisahellofadrug_ View Post
I lived not too far away from the Rockaways and agree with this. The area is crappy, regardless of how fancy the marketing materials for Arverne by the Sea or those new condos are. I wouldn't want to live there and neither do most native NYers.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM

82 posts, read 175,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Have you been in any of the homes built at Arverne by the Sea? I actually went in all 6 models and the craftsmanship seemed quite solid; my firm deals with architecture/engineering. You were able to tell the quality from Google Street views? Impressive. I guess weed is a hell of a drug after all.
Lmao, feisty today aren't we?
It's one thing to get upset because I bad mouthed your neighborhood, but its another to disrespect someone you don't even know over the computer about something that had absolutely nothing to do with you. I'm almost 20 and I know that's a big no no. Come on Mr Firm you must be over half my age, where's the common sense?
I didn't have to go in any of them to know that they are cardboard boxes.
& I wasn't referring to the structual integrity of the homes when I mentioned street view.
I was speaking for the neighborhood in it self.
It "seemed" quite solid when you went in them but it "seemed" like cheap sh.it when I witnessed with my own pretty brown eyes 5 days a week/2 times a day how they were built when I either drove or took the Q22.
But allow me to apologize for offending you seeing as this thread is solely about you and your opinion.
My understanding was that we were all entitled to one.
& yes, weed is a hell of a drug, that's why I stay away from it.
Rawrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City