Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,557,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFam View Post
Like I said in my reply, there is 15 feet between our houses, and he pounds on the walls so hard that our house is vibrating, I seriously doubt that earplugs will help.

We are considering moving.
Earplugs really do help. The reason I suggested it was from recent experience. My husband and I recently stayed at a family member's country house that was right on train tracks. Throughout the night, anything from passenger to freight trains would go by, some that seemed to last for 10 minutes with the little house just rattling so much that sometimes things would fall off the shelves. The first night we were just thinking what a huge mistake to stay there, and got no sleep. The next night, earplugs, and slept wonderfully. (Still, I wouldn't stay there again) I doubt the 14 year old can shake the house as much as that train did, so even if moving is the ultimate option, it's not overnight, so at least this can possibly help them get some sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,217,520 times
Quote:
(the dad's pants were constantly falling down, too and I was subjected to a half moon while he was doing this) They strike me as the non-negotiable type.

lol!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,382,858 times
Earplugs may be a temporary solution but they also interfere w/ many sounds such as someone knocking on the door, the doorbell ringing, the phone ringing etc not to mention simply watching tv - while they may be doable for a visit, no one should be subjected to all that noise indefinitely. I gave a family member a pair of earplugs b/c she was complaining about being able to hear the neighbor downstairs tv late at nite - she just couldnt get used to them. Believe me, it was nothing like what the OP is going thru (to the point of the house shaking, yikes!)

Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,557,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Earplugs may be a temporary solution but they also interfere w/ many sounds such as someone knocking on the door, the doorbell ringing, the phone ringing etc not to mention simply watching tv - while they may be doable for a visit, no one should be subjected to all that noise indefinitely. I gave a family member a pair of earplugs b/c she was complaining about being able to hear the neighbor downstairs tv late at nite - she just couldnt get used to them. Believe me, it was nothing like what the OP is going thru (to the point of the house shaking, yikes!)
I'm talking about using them just when you're sleeping in the middle of the night. (There better not be someone knocking on my door then!) During the day I agree that earplugs are definitely not a viable solution.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 19,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Or even an intruder in the house, or perhaps something with MY children. I have two boys who are also subjected to this. Or a smoke detector???!?!?! or my alarm clock!!!!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM

263 posts, read 1,002,481 times
Quote:
Or even an intruder in the house, or perhaps something with MY children. I have two boys who are also subjected to this. Or a smoke detector???!?!?! or my alarm clock!!!!
For eight years I have been working the night shift (6pm to 6am) and sleep during the day. There is a rather busy road in my back yard and I need to sleep with earplugs.

I can tell you from experience that earplugs do not isolate you from all noise in the world. Low level noises go unnoticed but if a big truck goes by, or one of those no-muffler Harleys, you will certainly hear it. And there's no problem hearing the alarm clock.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,772,319 times
So sorry to hear about this situation! If I were in your shoes, I would just move! Earplugs don't do much and is only a temporary stopgap measure.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,439,490 times
In addition to the advice above, I would take lots of photos, lots of video, lots of audio. I would then turn these morons in to Child Protective Services. There's obviously some issue if this kid is howling in the middle of the night, pounding on walls, etc. Also, he's not a fully functioning person and should NOT be left in a pool unsupervised.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,217,520 times
The worst scenario is that the kid is taken away and put to some institution.

Everyday you see the parents with tears in their eyes and wonder: Did I do the right thing?

But I agree that something must be done. This unbearable situation can't go on anymore.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 06-24-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM

11 posts, read 19,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
So sorry to hear about this situation! If I were in your shoes, I would just move! Earplugs don't do much and is only a temporary stopgap measure.
I know I know, we just bought the house 1.5 years ago...have to wait a little while. Gonna lose on this whole deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City