Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:07 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
im about to turn 25.

i make 65k here in the michigan, which is pretty good for my age and the cost of living... u can get a nice apartment for 600-700 / month.

of course, if i ever got a job in NYC, id ask for 80k (in hopes to pull in at least 75k)... i think 75k as a single person would be enough to live there, no?

ps. im applying for jobs there right now and i was born and raised in the city so its not something thats foreign to me.
You were born and raised in NY City? Or are you just referring to city life in general? NYC is like no other city in the US and probly the world. The onlyother cities that might compare to it in the US { cost-of-living wise } are San Fran or maybe D.C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM

16 posts, read 33,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You were born and raised in NY City? Or are you just referring to city life in general? NYC is like no other city in the US and probly the world. The onlyother cities that might compare to it in the US { cost-of-living wise } are San Fran or maybe D.C
DC isn't anywhere near NYC or San Francisco. LA and Boston are much more expensive than DC. Chicago, Philadelphia and Seattle are about the same. I am not even sure that DC is in the top ten most expensive US cities, but I might be wrong.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 AM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
Please don't. We have too many of your type here. I sometimes think half of Michigan is here. Nobody in ny will care that you're here. You will be another lonley transplant. You have watched too man videos and movies. Find happiness where you are. Isnt Chicago much closer if you feel the need to do some type of big city experiment?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 10,818 times
I think El's being a little harsh. We have too many of everything here :-)

If you move to New York, you should expect to look for a job for several months (it took my roommate 4 months) and you should definitely find a roommate. Living alone is VERY expensive, but the rent per person gets better the more roommates you have.

I don't think you need to assume you'd be lonely. If you're a fairly outgoing person, there are a lot of places to meet people in this city. Bars, free concerts, etc. There are also a lot of structured group activities (casual sports leagues, groups on meetup.com) You just never know.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
To the original poster. As you probably know by now, life in New York is not easy. But, what the heck, you're young. If you mess it up and it doesn't work out, you can always leave, go back to Michigan or go elsewhere, and start all over again.

Also think of it this way. With the economy in such a bad state, that also means one's opportunity costs are low. As Minnesota School economists would put it, leisure is cheap, so one should supply less labor input.

If it doesn't work out, at least you'll know that you tried, and your experiences, good and bad, will be ones that you'll always have and perhaps tell your grandkids someday.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
im about to turn 25.

i make 65k here in the michigan, which is pretty good for my age and the cost of living... u can get a nice apartment for 600-700 / month.

of course, if i ever got a job in NYC, id ask for 80k (in hopes to pull in at least 75k)... i think 75k as a single person would be enough to live there, no?
I don't believe a word of this.
Go ahead and ask for 80k.....go right ahead.
There's a 24 year old that will do it for 50k.
Am I the only one that smells a troll?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Please don't. We have too many of your type here. I sometimes think half of Michigan is here. Nobody in ny will care that you're here. You will be another lonley transplant. You have watched too man videos and movies. Find happiness where you are. Isnt Chicago much closer if you feel the need to do some type of big city experiment?
is your soul purpose on this forum to tell peopleto STAY OUT??? thats twice ive seen your posts doing that now.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The only problem with this is you work several yrs. and save alot of money in hopes of giving it a shot in the big apple, move there, things dont turn out nearly how you expected, and within the first 6-12 months of living there your completely broke and on the next greyhound back home right back where { or worse off } you started.

I really had hopes of moving to NYC at one point in my life and had several good reasons to do so, but I had to face reality and give up on those dreams.

Not trying to discourage anyone elses dreams though, if you think you got what it takes to make it in NYC, by all means, go for it. Just remember though, they dont say " if you can make it here you can make it anywhere " for nothing.
If the poster makes $65K, it shouldn't take him several years to save a few thou, nor will it bankrupt him if he blows it, nor will he be badly off if he's so skilled.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,060 times
First.........Don;t Give Up! Keep trying to find a job in NYC and start off maybe with a share then maybe a small apt in brooklyn/queens then save your money to maybe buy a place in nYc if you're still in love with it. Wishing you a lot of luck

Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM

121 posts, read 353,487 times
Have you tried using an IT recruiter? A friend of mine did HR in Chicago and was laid off in 2009, she could not find another job in Chicago so looked in NYC and found a job in 6mo through a recruiter. She was experienced in her field (10yrs) so perhaps that helped but I know she didn't get a salary increase. (have no idea was an HR director makes) She also paid for her own flights to NYC for the interview. She had 3 weeks to get there once she was made an offer. She flew up to NYC for the weekend and found a place right away. She got a place in the West Village $2400/mo for a yr lease. (it was a move-in special) She found a decent size studio 425 sq feet or so with an upgraded kitchen (stainless steel apps, granite countertops) hardwood floors and large windows. If you have never lived in a studio before it may take some time getting use to living in a small space but it's not bad and so many folks do it in the city.

If you want to live the Big City life do it now at your age.( Trust me! if only I was 25 again <<sigh>>) There is no other city that can replicate it. I moved to Chicago because I wanted to experience the "city life" w/o the NYC cost but I never felt that "high" you get quite like you do when you're in Manhattan..... like my dad always says: "Chicago's a nice town BUT NYC (manhattan) is a GREAT City! (he grew up in the Bronx back in the 1940's it was quite differ back then , a Fordham Grad and one of NYC Finest! now retired living in fl for the past 30 yrs

Last edited by jld13072; 06-26-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City