U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,873,292 times

Advertisements

i love the city and ive been to NY probably around 6-7 times.

id love to work and live in a decent 1 bedroom apartment.

the problem is getting a job. specially if ur out of state.

i live a little west of Detroit and I work in IT. there are a ton of IT jobs in NYC but most of the time when they see you're from out of state, they disregard you...

do you guys have any tips for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,778,917 times
Visiting and living somewhere are two very different things. Do you have any friends or family that live in NYC currently? NYC is also a big place. By NY do you mean Manhattan?

Your income, experience, age, and flexibility are all very big factors.

A 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan will cost you between $2,000-3,000 a month. Then you have the cost of transportation, food, taxes, etc. Without the guarantee of a secure job with a very good salary, moving will be very difficult.

Visiting 6-7 times may not have given you a lot of information about actually living in NY. You should definitely do a large amount of research before giving up what you currently have in Michigan.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM

11,184 posts, read 10,268,957 times
Depending on your age and income, moving to NYC and immediately getting a "decent" one-bedrom may not be realistic. You would probably do best to start saving your money, and when you're ready to give it a shot, with several thousand dollars in your pocket, make a move to NYC, get a sublet for a few months, and see if you can score a job once you have a NYC address.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,873,292 times
im about to turn 25.

i make 65k here in the michigan, which is pretty good for my age and the cost of living... u can get a nice apartment for 600-700 / month.

of course, if i ever got a job in NYC, id ask for 80k (in hopes to pull in at least 75k)... i think 75k as a single person would be enough to live there, no?

ps. im applying for jobs there right now and i was born and raised in the city so its not something thats foreign to me.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM

7,755 posts, read 7,147,764 times
Well, temper your expectations would be my recommendation. You make $65k at your job in Detroit because you've probably been there a worked your way up a bit. If somebody offered you a shot starting at $50-55k in NYC are you going to turn it down if living there is a goal of yours?

You'd want to avoid signing any long-term lease commitments until you were a bit settled also. Don't make that mistake either.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:11 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,778,917 times
If you're going to live by yourself, you might want to look at studios instead of one-bedrooms. That will save you some money. Also make sure you start to research neighborhoods in the boroughs.

It is a very tough job environment right now. Do you have any contacts in NY?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:11 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,369,830 times
If I were you, I will deal and move with a roommate for 1 year and then save some money and then start preparing to look for a 1 studio for yourself. Start looking at neighborhoods and see which ones do you like. Then when your lease is about to come up look for that one studio in those neighborhoods.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM

750 posts, read 2,241,338 times
Just save up at minimum $10,000 and sublet a room in Queens, Brooklyn or NJ for 800 a month. You can look on Craigslist. After that you have to hustle hard and pound the pavement for a job. Try temp agencies and cold call people aggressively. It will be next to impossible to get a job from out of state unless you can transfer internally or you are just graduating from a top school. Then if you're lucky enough to get a job, live well below your means and save a lot so that you have a safety net. That may sound obvious, but you might not be prepared for the rapid turnover that can occur in the NYC job market. If you can survive for over 2 years in your position consider yourself lucky (and talented). Across all industries highly qualified people are laid off constantly - much more so than in other cities, so you have to be prepared to be unemployed and looking for a job again at all times. People are cut throat here, I think because lots of them have taken big risks to come here and don't want to lose their spot, lol.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 PM

13,900 posts, read 11,366,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Depending on your age and income, moving to NYC and immediately getting a "decent" one-bedrom may not be realistic. You would probably do best to start saving your money, and when you're ready to give it a shot, with several thousand dollars in your pocket, make a move to NYC, get a sublet for a few months, and see if you can score a job once you have a NYC address.
The only problem with this is you work several yrs. and save alot of money in hopes of giving it a shot in the big apple, move there, things dont turn out nearly how you expected, and within the first 6-12 months of living there your completely broke and on the next greyhound back home right back where { or worse off } you started.

I really had hopes of moving to NYC at one point in my life and had several good reasons to do so, but I had to face reality and give up on those dreams.

Not trying to discourage anyone elses dreams though, if you think you got what it takes to make it in NYC, by all means, go for it. Just remember though, they dont say " if you can make it here you can make it anywhere " for nothing.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM

750 posts, read 2,241,338 times
Yeah you gotta be willing to take a risk to get a reward. Nothing good ever comes out of what if? Just plan well and be prepared and give it your best shot and things should work out. The universe clears the path for people to achieve their goals as long as they prepare and practice.

You could fail but the thrill of living and succeeding in NYC is worth the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or