Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

65 posts, read 147,172 times

Advertisements

While I am not a New Yorker I am pretty familiar with the city. I grew up 45 mins outside of Manhattan, have worked in SOHO, and have gotten drunk all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. I am now looking to move into the city and find myself very conflicted as to what neighborhood would be best for me.

$1700 is the max amount I can spend on rent.

The neighborhoods I am most seriously considering in no particular order are:

- Lower East Side
- Upper East Side
- Murray Hill
- Astoria
- Williamsburg (Very concerned about all the hipsters though)
- Carroll Gardens
- Cobble Hill
- Park Slope

Characteristics I am looking for in a neighborhood are:

- Other young people
- Plentiful nightlife options
- Lots of cafes/restaurants
- Generally lively
- Safe
- Reasonable commute to Manhattan

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you help me make a choice… I’ll buy you a beer in my new neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM

559 posts, read 1,107,496 times
I suggest Astoria. It has lots of youngsters and a burgeoning night life and it's a reasonable commute to Manhattan.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Does Astoria actually have a lot of nightlife? I understand if it’s not as popping as LES or other parts of Manhattan, but if I were to live there I would want to make sure there was enough diversity in the way of night life.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,778,676 times
Your focus s/b finding a decent quality place in a fairly safe neighborhood.

As you appear to have experienced, from living in the burbs, public transport, car, or taxi, will get you to whereever the party is and back. So, neighborhood nightlife isn't that important.

1700 is not a lot, but is enough for a fair place in a fair neighborhood. Astoria is the best option for the money, if your intention is to live alone. Less trendy neighborhoods will get you a nicer apt. If you choose to share, then all those neighborhoods are an option.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Thank you for the input. I understand what you are saying about public transport, still I like the idea of not always having to go to other neighborhoods just to have fun. I am just trying to figure out if Astoria has enough to keep me occupied most of the time.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM

559 posts, read 1,107,496 times
I could be wrong, but I have the impression that Astoria is fast-changing and could become the next East Village. Wouldn't you want to be a pioneer and settle in an up-and-coming neighborhood for cheap, rather than pay through the nose for an established hot spot?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 PM

650 posts, read 2,509,116 times
I assume you are ok with a small studio? you are generally listing pricey areas.
Not a Manhattan fan but I like Cobble Hill the best on the list, awesome area

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,871,664 times
Astoria. You will not find a place for $1700 a month in Park Slope or the Upper East Side, trust me.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,344,359 times
I suggest finding a place that is close to your job and your social life. This will cut a lot of travel time and Taxi $$$

Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 AM

@urbanintllctl
I rather not have you push your agenda on me. As I am living with a female, it is important to live in a safe neighborhood. If I were to live alone I would consider places like Bushwick, East Harlem, Hamilton Heights, etc… (not to say you can't be safe in these neighborhoods) However I will not be alone, so I will leave being a pioneer to you.

@pureistheword and DoomDan515
In both Astoria and Upper East Side I have personally seen real 1 bedrooms within this price range. They did not have stainless steel appliances, and granite countertops, but I will say this. The APT’s in the Upper East Side were good enough, whereas the ones in the Astoria were kind of charming. The other neighborhoods I listed I need to do more research on concerning rent prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City