Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM

31 posts, read 66,191 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I have a possible job offer from an international organization in NYC. I'm based in London, married with two kids, with combined take-home income of about $5500 and we manage fine on that.

So the job offer in NYC would give us:
about $7500 take home pay per month (just me)
for the first 4 years, they'll a % of rent - the calculation is complicated but works out best for us to rent in the region of $5000 and we'd pay $3000 with organization paying the rest.
Health insurance is excellent (zero deductibles etc) but contribution of about $700 a month
They also pay 75% of private school tuition and my two are due to start K and grade 2 in the fall.

OK, so that's the package. My partner would want to work so once he gets himself set up we'll have that income. We have the 4 years rent subsidy that gives us the breathing space until he starts earning.

So, my questions for you lovely and knowledgeable folk are:

*If you've lived in London and NYC, do you think they're comparable in price? If we manage in London, will we be OK in NYC, especially since we'll be earning more (although we live in suburbs in London - couldn't afford the rent anywhere more central)?
*Is $5000 per month reasonable for a nice Manhattan apartment, easy travelling to midtown east? Should we look outside of Manhattan? Any areas you'd recommend (LIC, Astoria, Roosevelt Island???)?
*I can't get my head around the health insurance stuff. Completely bonkers! Do you guys really pay that kind of money for health? Is that normal?
*What are the public schools like? Are we guaranteed a certain school if we just roll up mid-year? Do we have a hope in hell of getting in to a decent private school? I've heard it's insane and there's some kind of NYC baby boom. As we're not super-duper rich, would my kids feel out of place? They go to public school here in London.
*What would be a reasonable monthly food bill? I've budgeted for $1000.

Thank you so so much! Any info will be incredibly helpful. I'm really torn about this decision. I love London but NYC seems pretty good as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
$5000 will get you a very good large two bedroom apartment apartment almost anywhere in the city, and a 3 bedroom flat in all but the most expensive neighborhoods, though you're selection will be more limited. So your housing budget is solid--and your're lucky to have your health care costs taken care of because they can be substantial here. I'm sure you read about the fight Obama had to get health care reform passed. $250 per week for a family of four sounds good too, and you will learn where the more reasonable places to shop are. (Hint: avoid Gristedes and Whole Foods on a regular basis)

Your biggest problem in Manhattan, at least, will be your kids' education. The better public schools in nice neighborhoods have been putting kids on waiting lists becuse more and more middle class families have been staying in the city in the past decade vs moving to the suburbs. There is some "melt" as they call it during the summer when waiting list kids move to private schools, church schools, or out of town. In NYC most young kids go to zoned schools--the one nearest where they live. The school system will not even THINK about enrolling yr kid however until you have proof of a local address.

Though there are some exceptions, most public elementary schools in downtown Manhattan and the Upper East Side (called District 2) and the Upper West Side (District 3) are pretty good. The Dept. of Education is, however obligated to find a spot for your kid if you are legally domiciled here. Though it may not be the one nearest your home if there is a waiting list, it will almost certainly be in the district.

I don't know much about the private schools except to say that many are almost certainly booked by now. The only one I know or personally that that you might consider is the UN International school, which caters to expats, has a good reputation, and is located on the East Side at 25th St. There is also the British International School in the same neighborhood, though I don't know much about that one. I'd guess that you could also get an apartment within yr budget (maybe just barely) in the neighborhoods near to this like Kips Bay or Murray Hill.

Of course housing becomes much less an issue when you leave Manhattan, and (public) schooling and housing both become easier if you leave the city altogether for the 'burbs, though many parents don't like to work in the city and leave the kids all day so far away.

ONe quick additional thought: You might also consider the Financial District and Battery Park City too for a 2-3 bdrm place. The school down there are quite popular and I just remembered that they have just built a new school to serve the area at 87 Spruce St -- a brand new very very expensive likely beyond yr budget residential tower by Frank Gehry -- so there could actually be space w/o the drama of waiting lists.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Just noticed the part pf the question about whether yr kids will feel out of place at public schools because you are not wealthy. Emphatically not. The public elementary schools in NYC cater to everyone from the wealthiest to the poorest and everyone inbetween. Remember: many parents in affluent neighborhoods here are not rich, rich but "apartment rich"-- middle class people who bought or rented their places years ago before they had families and before the huge rise in real estate prices. I think sometimes these middle class parents may feel more out of place with their wealthier neighbors, but its unlikelly to mean anything at all to kids as young as yours.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Good to know that I can get a decent apartment and that my food budget is reasonable.

I saw the UN school and British school - and both look great. Guess I'll need to make some phone calls to really grasp the schooling situation.

BTW, I was worried about the private school situation and my kids fitting in, not the public schools. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM

174 posts, read 415,049 times
Hi There,

We are relocated from Australia and we have our daughter in a Public school. We live in district 3 and she attends one of the 2 best ones here in NYC. We love it! She did attend a private school back home however I feel the standard here is as good if not better. I know a lot has to do with the parent involvement and fund raising that goes on. There is actually a few celebrities who have their kids in the same school.
For a family I feel the Upper West Side is the place to be. We are so glad we choose this area as its just a child's paradise here.
Good luck with the move NYC is a great city!! We love it and have been here now for 7 months.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks for that info! Was it hard to get your daughter into the school? How did you know it was one of the best?

Child paradise certainly sounds good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: