Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:09 PM

327 posts, read 880,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Where the Parasites live. What do they produce besides poverty for the working man
Irony + your head = over.

Assuming it is a Wall Street firm, apparently they can indirectly produce $400,000+ for an unproductive worker, let alone an actual working man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM

346 posts, read 1,254,220 times
Hey, cranes are a high risk, expensive material. You live in NYC, where buildings tend to be skyscrapers and thus require cranes, and there's a limited amount of trained crane operators avaiable. You can ***** and moan about the unions, but a lot of these reported wages are probably overtime, indicating that there's a shortage in the field and that developers need workers.

You people are so quick to uphold market economics, but are upset when the market values a job that you see as lower than yourself to be a higher wage earner than the job that you have. Do the unions help keep the wages up? Yes, but largely in accordance with the cost of living.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM

129 posts, read 372,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Go down to Wall Street, how many millionaires have ever actually produced a product. When the Crane operators job is done there is a job completed, a building built, etc. All the rich do is move digits around
Sorry, this is silly and extremely short sighted.

And truthfully, shows a complete lack of basic understanding of how the financial system works. I suggest you rethink this. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,790,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
also what's with the fascination traders and bankers...

...many of the pension contracts that union members are trying to keep and inflate were packaged and brokered by...

...Wall Street...

so if ya think everything Wall Street produces is garbage (which I generally agree with), do you also then think union members shouldn't be entitled to their pension package formulated by Wall Street?

Actually, you might be on to something.
You appear as if you must be intimately familiar with Cannabis.

WHAT does Investment firms have to do with Pension contracts?

Goldman Sachs, for example, has nothing whatsoever to do with Pension Contracts, Union Contracts nor any contracts to do with Unions!

IF what you are trying to express is that Bonds which back some pension benefits with income produced from the interest earned, then yes, specialized 'Bond Firms do package and market the Bonds. Pension Bonds are not and were not a part of the trend of re-packaging Tranches of different bond issues into new bond packages, as was done in regard to mortgage backed bonds.

The firms that do this type of business are NOT the firms involved in mortgage backed securities nor credit default swaps regarding mortgage backed securities. Entirely different businesses! Government Bonds/Pension Bond business is a rather staid and sure business, which does not the sort of profit multiples for Investment firms such as Goldmand Sachs.

You are thinkin crap and talking crap. Educate! Study! Gain knowledge and understanding and you will not be propagandized.

The ignorance is astounding, simply astounding.

You know, even though it was clear that you have a poor understanding of what you are pissed about, now that I think about it more, I think I get it.

You are pissed that Managers of Pension funds stupidly invested in mortgage backed securities that are now, at present, have little value (or to be accurate, a value that, as yet, cannot be determined). Some claim they are worthless. They do have value. That's another thread.

You do have a great justification to be angry and disgusted, BUT you are targeting the wrong party. It is the Pension Managers who bought the securities. No one put a gun to their heads. Literally, these people FAILED to execute their FIDUCIARY responsibility. It was their job to investigate the viability of investment proposals and to make sound decisions to the benefit of the funds they were responsible for.

The problem is, the Managers did not do their duty. They, as a group, purchased bond packages which they did not comprehend. Why wound responsible people make an investment which they don't understand? Good question, yet this is what they did, literally univrsally. Astounding.

What happened? Well, first they were lazy. Rather than do the homework which is their job, these managers relied on bond ratings issued by the rating agencies, such as Moody's. The rating agencies have the reputation of doing the due diligence (homework) which the fund managers s/h done themselves. Lazy!

So, if the Bond had the very best rating, AAA, then the managers invested. They like everyone else in the country acted with greed. They were offered an investment which promised very very attractiv e interest return, with seemingly little risk, as the AAA rating assured them. The problem is they NEVER attempted to corroborate the rating nor the risk, relying fully on the rating agencies' due diligence. Which we now know was no due diligence at all!

So who is responsible? The guy selling the con? Or, the guy buying the con? All cons work on the greed of the mark. If the pension managers had done their jobs, they would not have been suckered. Its that simple.

So, now, you should ask yourself, who were and are these Managers; more importantly, who the heck hire these idiots and put them in charge? These are the people who you SHOULD hold responsible. No one made them do it.

NOTE: one reality that allowed this to occur is that the guys on Wall Street are smarter than the guys who run the funds. Pension Fund managers are people who failed to get the big money jobs. People who failed to get on the investment desk of investment firms; failed to get on with private hedge funds. Sooo, they wind up as Pension and other similar type fund managers. They are second stringers at best.

They simply were incapable of comprehending mortgage back securities, and should not have made such an investment.

NOTE 2: these managers were, also, incented to seek high returns, as their compensation, to all or some degree, was tied to their respective fund's performance. The better the fund performed the better their compensation. So when the Bond salesman came calling the fund managers bought the promised returns lock, stock, and barrel.

Similarly, the rating agencies, not only acted corruptly, but also, their analyst are third stringers, who also were incapable of comprehending the risk involved with mortgage backed securities. They also relied upon the insurance (credit default swaps) which secured the bonds.

Of course, we all know that the nature of insurance requires that NOT ALL the insured demand payout at the same time. Which is precisely what happened. Not only did the insurer, AIG, over insure, they were hit with simultaneous payout demand. Obviously the could not pay---consequently the worth and value of the insured securities are effected.

That in a nutshell is the mortgage mess. Your venom, if you comprehend that s/b directed less at WALL STREET, and more toward the Pension Managers who wholly failed in their collective responsibility.

Wall Street's job is to sell investments. All investments are NOT equal, nor profitable. Investment Bankers sell investments, good and bad.

It is the Buyer's duty to judge good and bad; to invsetigat; do due diligence; HOMEWORK!

Sooo, you want to blame the Seller rather than the Buyer?

Does that really make sense?

Hey, did WALL STREET, at a certain point act whooly immorally? Certainly. Were they greedy? Certainly. Were they undisciplined in their actions, allowing basic human nature to prevail? Certainly.

But, I ask in what way is that different than the ordinary citizen who purchased real estate which they could not afford, was wholly above their station, and lied to do it?

It is all the same.

The only innocents in this entire fiasco, are the people who choose not to partake in the maddness, for reasons of prudence; or simply did not buy for reasons other.

Every single other person in this nation is culpable and should accept their culpability.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 PM

215 posts, read 518,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Hey, cranes are a high risk, expensive material. You live in NYC, where buildings tend to be skyscrapers and thus require cranes, and there's a limited amount of trained crane operators avaiable. You can ***** and moan about the unions, but a lot of these reported wages are probably overtime, indicating that there's a shortage in the field and that developers need workers.

You people are so quick to uphold market economics, but are upset when the market values a job that you see as lower than yourself to be a higher wage earner than the job that you have. Do the unions help keep the wages up? Yes, but largely in accordance with the cost of living.
It is not market that values a job. You said that unions help keep the wages up, which contradicts this.

And I am quite sure that operating a crane is much easier than piloting a plane. Have you guys ever seen the insides of pilot's cabin?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM

205 posts, read 506,890 times
I watched a movie/documentary called the INSIDE JOB. Was about the finiancial crisis, etc. I gotta tell you after watching that I cant believe people are blaming unions and blue collar workers. Now I do agree some union positions get paid a little bit more than what there worth. Corruption is all over the place but to put all the blame on them.........I dont think so.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,634,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
"The Real Estate Board there are currently 14 unproductive workers at the World Trade Center earning $400,000 or more in regular pay and overtime."

"The group says that some of the workers pulling down the biggest salaries at the World Trade Center aren't even operating equipment. It says about 50 workers are in unnecessary positions, such as relief crane operators, mandated by the union contract."

Efficiency? uhhhmmmmm....

Sucks for renters...

..looks like developers will double the rent just to cover costs.
They will double the rent regardless after all they get a tax break for btheir yacht.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,634,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowe224 View Post
Sorry, this is silly and extremely short sighted.

And truthfully, shows a complete lack of basic understanding of how the financial system works. I suggest you rethink this. Thanks.
I know the "Financial Sector" has sucked 40% out of the economy and given back nothing. They get loans for 0% from the government and lend the money out at rates that would make the Mafia Blush.
Apparently Bernie Madoff was the rule not the exception

Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 PM

327 posts, read 880,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You appear as if you must be intimately familiar with Cannabis.

WHAT does Investment firms have to do with Pension contracts?
Ahh college days, unfortunately I was never much into weed, I had other vices however...

Maybe you took my statement too literally..though WS may not sign off on pension portfolio, they obv run/manage the underlying funds that pension managers choose so there definitely IS a correlation (ie Blackstone backpeddling comments, etc Blackstone loses out on $150 million hedge-fund investment contract after irking city pension-fund trustees:sources - NYPOST.com)

..but that point is minute to my larger (albeit in sardonic tone) point to that poster of what I find ironic...

... that poster (and many other union members) I was replying too kept cursing "millionaires" on Wall Street, yet fails to realize Wall Street's partaking in the running the funds of which (as you note) pension managers have chosen...

..my greater point is said poster (assuming pension receiving union member or related) felt the need to bash "millionaire Wall Streeters" who create "nothing but garbage," then as a union member why not forfeit said "garbage pensions" of which they want to receive from the very hand (Wall Street) they ironically bite and publicly scowl?

In essence, they want to enjoy the taste of their fruit (pensions) yet curse the seed it was partly derived from (Wall Street)..

You are right though that city/state pension managers should be getting the public blame..

..but to many union members, bashing "millionaire" Wall Streeters sounds sexier than bashing one of their own kind.

Last edited by newjitty; 07-01-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: