U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM

559 posts, read 1,011,162 times

Advertisements

Folks: Does one have a choice of broadband connection, or are apartments tied to a particular company? If one does have a choice, which company would you recommend? By the way, I don't intend to contract for cable since I don't have a TV, so I'm in the market for a plain-vanilla broadband connection.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM

3,327 posts, read 3,792,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Folks: Does one have a choice of broadband connection, or are apartments tied to a particular company? If one does have a choice, which company would you recommend? By the way, I don't intend to contract for cable since I don't have a TV, so I'm in the market for a plain-vanilla broadband connection.

Tethering through your cell phone would be cheaper and your best bet.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM

963 posts, read 2,106,619 times
I have used Clear 4G wireless network for the past 6 months and couldn't be happier. For $60 per month I get wireless 4g that is good anywhere in the country along with back up 3g wireless if ever the 4G is unavailable. I depend on a daily broadband signal as a web designer, and this has worked brilliantly. I keep the usb dongle with my laptop and use the connection wherever I travel. Plus, there is no contract. It is so good that I cancelled my cable broadband service.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 3,873,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Depends where in NYC you live. You may options or you may not have any choice in the matter. Generally your two choices will be Verizon and Time Warner. There are smaller providers like RCN but not widely available.

As for vanilla broadband, it also depends what you want out of it. Just websurf and no streaming, heavy download, or gaming action? If you download a lot and are heavy into gaming, Fios is way to go but it is premium. If you just surf web and don't care to stream anything or download much then lowest tier available like cheapo dsl or lowerst tier roadrunner, or even tethering (if your service provider allows).

Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,818,373 times
I use RCN and only have Internet. $26.99, $5 more if you need to rent a cable modem from then. I've got 15Mbps down and (I think) 5 up, although I think that plan is now a little more expensive and I'm grandfathered into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City