Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 PM

10 posts, read 125,827 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to promote my music and I want to personally hand out 1,000 demo tapes to people in large cities around the world. While filming a little bit of my adventures for youtube videos.

This is a very broad question and I realize hundreds of people do this on a daily basis in New York but somehow I feel I could make it special.

Do you think New Yorkers would be up for something like this and what's the best part of town to do something like this?

I'm thinking of staying at a hostel that's located in Upper West Side Manhattan, that's where all the rich people are right? I'm wanting to have a little fun while I'm in town as well. Where are some good clubs for a 20 year old male?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowpow View Post
I'm trying to promote my music and I want to personally hand out 1,000 demo tapes to people in large cities around the world. While filming a little bit of my adventures for youtube videos.

This is a very broad question and I realize hundreds of people do this on a daily basis in New York but somehow I feel I could make it special.

Do you think New Yorkers would be up for something like this and what's the best part of town to do something like this?

I'm thinking of staying at a hostel that's located in Upper West Side Manhattan, that's where all the rich people are right? I'm wanting to have a little fun while I'm in town as well. Where are some good clubs for a 20 year old male?
Quote:
I realize hundreds of people do this on a daily basis in New York
Seems like you answered your own question.

Lol but seriously, you will seem just like those who are already here. Be creative find a different way so that you won't blend in. THAT'S how you will make it here. Perform for free, perform for free, perform for free until people know your name. Create a buzz also, read a book on the industry, please. Know what business this is and what it consists of.

Lastly, you can't just go where the rich people are. Lol, you have to find where your target audience lives/hang out. Then you perform there, etc. It seems you have a lot to read up on.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 PM

I actually didn't bring up rich people because that's where I want to stay, I'm just asking that's generally where they are.

I don't think I'll have the ability to bring all of my gear up there due to me living in Florida and having to travel by plane.

Basically what I'm asking is are New Yorkers generally accepting of this kind of thing?

Last edited by Bowpow; 07-01-2011 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowpow View Post
I actually didn't bring up rich people because that's where I want to stay, I'm just asking that's generally where they are.

I don't think I'll have the ability to bring all of my gear up there due to me living in Florida and having to travel by plane.

Basically what I'm asking is New Yorkers are generally accepting of this kind of thing.
Short answer: No.

Will people take your demos: Probably.

Will they actually listen: Maybe

Chance of getting signed/famous from this: 7% Chance

Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 PM

So they are not accepting but will take my tape?

I'm not looking to ever get signed. My goal is to have 500 new likes on Facebook from 1000 demo tapes with a Facebook address on it. The same goes for the other cities I'll be visiting.

Thanks for the input

Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,803 times
I would stay and do this in Williamsburg, Brooklyn...you could hand them out at the Bedford L train station. Also try Union Square (L train area or up top between L and 4/5/6)---Union Square is a popular place for this kind of thing.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Be sure to include your facebook info on the cd. Also, I would say expect to have about a 10% success rate, not 50%.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:32 AM

Exception: if you can somehow figure out something new and different to tape during this that then makes the video go viral.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
It sounds like you are more interested in having your own reality show than being a musician. New Yorkers are used to being bombarded with someone standing on the street pushing their junk, free tickets, and flyers. Most people find it irritating and ignore it. I doubt if the people who take your CD, will even play it Who listens to music on CDs any more anyway. The Upper Westside is not exclusively rich. It has all types of people from various econmic classes. The richer people there would be too old to be interested in a 20 year old's music. As for clubs, you will have to find one that allows entry to an under 21 year old. They do exist, but you have to know which ones.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
Be sure to include your facebook info on the cd. Also, I would say expect to have about a 10% success rate, not 50%.
Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
I would stay and do this in Williamsburg, Brooklyn...you could hand them out at the Bedford L train station. Also try Union Square (L train area or up top between L and 4/5/6)---Union Square is a popular place for this kind of thing.
I'll hit those spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It sounds like you are more interested in having your own reality show than being a musician. New Yorkers are used to being bombarded with someone standing on the street pushing their junk, free tickets, and flyers. Most people find it irritating and ignore it. I doubt if the people who take your CD, will even play it Who listens to music on CDs any more anyway. The Upper Westside is not exclusively rich. It has all types of people from various econmic classes. The richer people there would be too old to be interested in a 20 year old's music. As for clubs, you will have to find one that allows entry to an under 21 year old. They do exist, but you have to know which ones.
I don't plan on standing on a street corner and I wouldn't want to pass out my CD to older richer people; no offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: