Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,478 times

Advertisements

i am look at a house on roe street and delafield, how is the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
I assume you're talking about Staten Island?

Personally I would recommend NOT buying in the area unless you are comfortable living in a low income neighborhood. I think West Brighton Houses are the worst pjs in SI after Stapleton.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
Yeah, but at that location the OP could live their life never dealing with the projects. Most of West Brighton is fairly nice and practically a world away from Broadway/Henderson/Castelton/Alaska. Delafield is pretty nice to me. Idk, it really depends on what you want. Would you have some undesirable neighbors over that way? Probably. Would the majority of them be unsavory? I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Anything real specific you want to know about the area?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I assume you're talking about Staten Island?

Personally I would recommend NOT buying in the area unless you are comfortable living in a low income neighborhood. I think West Brighton Houses are the worst pjs in SI after Stapleton.
Park Hill is up there too...

Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 PM

Mariners Harbor Houses, Stapleton Houses, Richmond Terrace Houses, Parkhill Houses and West Brighton Houses are all about equally as bad, statistically (or at least the stats of their general areas say so). Ranking them from 1-5 depends largely on personal experiences with each area/development and personal comfort level, typically.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
Really bad area

Old 07-04-2011, 11:40 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Mariners Harbor Houses, Stapleton Houses, Richmond Terrace Houses, Parkhill Houses and West Brighton Houses are all about equally as bad, statistically (or at least the stats of their general areas say so). Ranking them from 1-5 depends largely on personal experiences with each area/development and personal comfort level, typically.
Do you have a source that lists crimes by neighborhood? The 120th precinct has the highest crime rate (which is to be expected, since is has all but 3 of the housing projects on SI), but I can't find a breakdown further than by precinct.

In any case, I think the Delafield Avenue area is alright. Crime from the projects seems to be contained in a small area, say between Richmond Terrace and Post Avenue.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
NYPD - Office of the Chief of Department

Staten Island is on the bottom... only three precincts... And when you check on nyc.gov and type in the precinct number it'll tell you what area it covers in full...

Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Do you have a source that lists crimes by neighborhood? The 120th precinct has the highest crime rate (which is to be expected, since is has all but 3 of the housing projects on SI), but I can't find a breakdown further than by precinct.

In any case, I think the Delafield Avenue area is alright. Crime from the projects seems to be contained in a small area, say between Richmond Terrace and Post Avenue.

There was some website that ranked the 100 or so Census tracts on Staten Island by crime rate (I believe that's where I saw that), but I can't remember what site it was. I know it wasn't Census-related though. I'll look around a little...

Old 07-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Actually, I was thinking, and it might have been a website that had zip code crime rates rather than Census tract crime rates. I know that that doesn't help much since I also don't remember where I found that but I just felt the need to clarify... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City