Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Really? Thugs are a byproduct of being poor? Garfield, Nj is relatively low income. Yet, it is one of the safest towns in America.

Also, They don't all go down south or PA. They also move to poorer parts of the city. They will just moved to Queens, Staten Island or South Bronx.
They don't just up and leave NY. A good deal of them stay.
We're talking about NY not NJ but what's the racial demographics of Garfield, NJ? I don't know that area to speak on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Ummm... Thugs have no necessary race, so "racial demographics" would be useless there.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Really? Thugs are a byproduct of being poor? Garfield, Nj is relatively low income. Yet, it is one of the safest towns in America.
Not all poor people are thugs, I agree with that. Just look at the state of West Virginia, very poor, but one of the safest states in the nation. Being poor does not equal being ghetto.

Quote:
Also, They don't all go down south or PA. They also move to poorer parts of the city. They will just moved to Queens, Staten Island or South Bronx.
They don't just up and leave NY. A good deal of them stay.
Unfortunately.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
We're talking about NY not NJ but what's the racial demographics of Garfield, NJ? I don't know that area to speak on it.
You will only see a few black areas but it does have a growing Hispanic population that is sizable. The rest is white. Garfield is really diverse.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Manchester, Ct has some poor parts of the town where a bunch of poor people are cluttered together. Most of them are Minorities too. But, crime is almost Non-Existent in that town.

Wealthy areas have crime too.

For Example:

South Orange, Nj

It's a somewhat wealthy town in Essex county NJ. It's mostly white too. But it has more Crime them some of the poorer suburbs near it.

Also, the neighborhoods were arleady poor and ugly when the "ghettos" moved in. Most of them used to be Jewish or Italian areas where the Mob ran about. Don't act like everything was okay before.
Looking at this map (Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com), no parts of Manchester could really be considered "poor", just working-class. The median income in the area you describe is around $42,000.

And South Orange's crime rate isn't that high. And it definitely isn't higher than Orange or East Orange (they are the only ones that could realistically be considered "poorer". Most of the other towns still have a fairly high income, even if it isn't quite as high as South Orange. At that point, you're just splitting hairs, and South Orange's crime rate could be more due to its proximity to Orange/East Orange than any other factor)

Quote:
Garfield isn't low-income. It's $50,000, which is more or less the median income for this region: //www.city-data.com/city/Garfield-New-Jersey.html

In any case, I'll agree with you that under the right circumstances, poor areas aren't always dangerous.

Quote:
You will only see a few black areas but it does have a growing Hispanic population that is sizable. The rest is white. Garfield is really diverse.
Garfield is too small to have any "black areas". They are just mixed throughout the town. It only really has one "Hispanic area" by the southern end of the town, and the rest are just mixed in with the Whites.

So Garfield is diverse both wholistically and looking at the individual areas (unlike NYC, which is diverse wholistically, but is relatively segregated when looking at the individual neighborhoods)

Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Yeah I looked up Garfield earlier and that isn't a poor area. The average median income is higher then my area.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yeah I looked up Garfield earlier and that isn't a poor area. The average median income is higher then my area.
So Garfield NJ isn't poor and doesn't have thugs roaming the street like areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn. So I stand by my earlier statement of displacing these thugs elsewhere where they wont effect the quality of life of NYers

Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Looking at this map (Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com), no parts of Manchester could really be considered "poor", just working-class. The median income in the area you describe is around $42,000.

And South Orange's crime rate isn't that high. And it definitely isn't higher than Orange or East Orange (they are the only ones that could realistically be considered "poorer". Most of the other towns still have a fairly high income, even if it isn't quite as high as South Orange. At that point, you're just splitting hairs, and South Orange's crime rate could be more due to its proximity to Orange/East Orange than any other factor)

Garfield isn't low-income. It's $50,000, which is more or less the median income for this region: //www.city-data.com/city/Garfield-New-Jersey.html

In any case, I'll agree with you that under the right circumstances, poor areas aren't always dangerous.

Garfield is too small to have any "black areas". They are just mixed throughout the town. It only really has one "Hispanic area" by the southern end of the town, and the rest are just mixed in with the Whites.

So Garfield is diverse both wholistically and looking at the individual areas (unlike NYC, which is diverse wholistically, but is relatively segregated when looking at the individual neighborhoods)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
So Garfield NJ isn't poor and doesn't have thugs roaming the street like areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn. So I stand by my earlier statement of displacing these thugs elsewhere where they wont effect the quality of life of NYers

I never said South Oranges crime rate was high. I said that it has more crime than some of the poorer suburbs in Nj.

That whole neighborhood is not poor in Manchester. Matter of fact, I don't even recall using the word "Poor". I said Low income. Poor would mostly describe thos below the poverty line. You don't have to be below the poverty line to be Low of income.Anyways, Part of Spruce, Pearl, and Bissel and a few other places are what i'm talking about. All the "poor" people, as you would say it, live close together. Of course this neighborhood has Middle class in it. But, it also has more low income residents than any other part of town.

If you look at this
//www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...ew-Jersey.html
Garfield has a bigger percentage of residents below the poverty line than the state of Nj.

Also, look at West Virginia. Poor but Safe. I don't see many thugs roaming around there.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Eh, it's only a little bit higher than the state of NJ's poverty rate. It's not like it's double or triple the poverty rate.

In any case, I guess you could compare Garfield to Irvington. The median income is $43,942 in Irvington vs. $50,635 in Garfield, and yet the crime rate is almost 6 times as much in Irvington despite having only a marginally lower income.

I mean, I agree with you that income isn't always the determining factor in the safety of an area, but I just don't think you're using the best examples (other than the West Virginia example).

Actually, I remember reading an article about a school in rural Kansas which had an extremely high poverty rate and low income among the students, and yet it had very few problems because the environment was very different than a comparable school in an urban area, so the same thing applies to crime: Other factors also have an effect.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
Default Gentrification vs. Ghettofication

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
The difference is when hood people try to "preserve" their communities (ie. do things to make their neighborhood seem as unsafe as possible), they are considered by the status quo as fighting on the side of justice.
If you are someone from a middle class community and you do what it takes to drive off the mobs of thugs invading, you are considered a RACIST.
The middle class has been rendered defenseless from all sides. Ghettofication has destroyed more culture by turning things only black or Afro-Caribbean instead of the multitude of ethnicities that used to thrive in the city. The city is surrounded by hoods in Harlem, Bronx, Jamaica, ENY, and a big soulless, commercial center for Wall Street types. Everyone else is being squeezed out.
I am by no means a person of means, but I sure do understand what you mean.

I moved from San Francisco to Orlando 3 years ago. San Francisco has been making nationwide headlines for "gentrification", which is a very racist term as it is never applied to wealthy black people moving in to formerly blue-collar neighborhoods. I left my community if the Sunset District, where I lived for 23 years, after watching it decline from the predominately Asian neighborhood that it was when I moved in to a haven for Homies. The neighborhood had once been all European-American and still had a significant minority of European-Americans, especially Irish; and the mostly Chinese population did take good care of the property in the neibhborhood. Sadly the black population moving in did not care. This was frustrating because many were coming from bad neighborhoods and should have been glad to be coming into what had been a clean and quiet one. I would not want to go back to my old neighborhood now.

The same allegations of "gentrification" have been made here in Orlando but to a much smaller degree than in San Francisco. No, as a matter of fact, we cannot all get along. Unfortunately practically every ethnic groups seems to hate everybody else. However, it is liberal cities which have the most racial tensions. I am seeing better manners on average among the black people here in Orlando and haven't had problems with my black neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City