Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM

30 posts, read 99,465 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
My friend and I just decided to plan a trip to New York around the 27th of December through the 5th of January. It's our goal to spend New Year's and my b-day there. It has been my dream to see The Nutcracker and Swan Lake since I was a child, but for the sake of keeping costs down, I need to pick one. Does anyone know if either ballet will be going on this year? If so, where are they generally held and what do tickets usually go for?
We don't know anyone there, so we would need to stay somewhere not too fancy. Can anyone give us some ideas of where we can find some modest motels/hotels? Can anyone rate their hostel experiene if possible? Could we find places under $75 per night? Like I mentioned earlier, we don't want anything fancy. Which borough (still close enough to Manhattan) would be the best bet?
Given our possible time frame, do the cost of plan tickets decrease after Christmas and New Year's? I don't fly much (deathly afraid), so I'm pretty curious about that.
So to sum everything up and cover points not mentioned above: we want to visit after Christmas for maybe 8 days, see either Swan Lake or The Nutcracker(on Broadway?), enjoy young nightlife (we're 24 and 21) at both 'straight' and gay bars/clubs, stay somewhere under $75 if possible, would like to know if plane tickets will be cheaper, and would like to know where are some nice non-touristie spots to give us a better NY experience. Also, can we pull this off for around $2, 500 (only taking my plane far into consideration)?
Sorry for the silly questions, I have never been to New York and I am just super excited! Just answer what you can. We are open to any suggestions and criticism We are flexible with our trip plans. Please let me know if you need any clarification. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:15 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I somehow get the feeling that you are just starting to ask about this now. Why don't you instead start by looking at a batch of guidebooks and checking around the internet specifically at travel sites. Likely there are places where you'd be far more likely to get current opinion on hostels, rather than asking people who live here.

I love the idea of your yearning to come for the ballet. I don't know about Swan Lake, but I believe that Nutcracker plays every year. However, one thing you might investigate is whether there are multiple places with performances. Also, since your budget is so tight, you might inquire if there are any routes to cheaper tickets - such as standing room.

I don't know what "only taking my plane far into consideration" means - do you mean including or not including fare?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Cida, yes I meant 'fare'
Thank you for the tips. I started looking online about two months ago for the majority of the info that I just asked, but I got overwhelmed and just sort of gave up. I will resume my online research and hopefully I'll receive some more great info on here as well.
I'm a little worried that travel guides will just point me towards tourists' spots :/
But as far as flying, I just thought more seasoned travelers would be able to offer their opinion on that.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Christmas and New Year's are the end of the high season in NYC. Do you intend on paying $75 each or $75 total? I can't imagine where you could pay that little - maybe a room on airbnb.

New York City Ballet does the Nutcracker every year, but their finances are a bit iffy right now.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:45 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
ABT website: American Ballet Theatre

The Nutcracker is performed at Christmas time, but I'm not sure when. Their December calendar isn't posted yet. I would suggest emailing them.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.
I guess $50-75 each per night for a room makes more sense...

Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest that you stay at the Vanderbilt Y (on East 47th Street in Midtown Manhattan) if you don't mind shared bathrooms. My uncle used to stay there every time he was in NYC and liked it. Each room has cable TV. There is a gym for guests usage and a self-service cafeteria to buy food in the building. See Manhattan Hostels | Vanderbilt Rooms | NYC Hotels near Grand Central - Vanderbilt - YMCA of Greater New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City