Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 AM

171 posts, read 305,145 times

Advertisements

wow, i really always thought my hate of heat and humidity was weird and put me in some small minority, good to see there are many others like me. i try not to hate summer but i wind up hibernating when it gets anywhere over 85 or so.
if i didn't love the city so much and it wasn't home i would probably head to the pacific NW coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
IMO, the general rule for Manhattan (ESPECIALLY Midtown) during the summer months is this: whatever temperature it is, add 5-10 degrees. You have the summer humidity and heat + building density + people density. Not the greatest combo. The outer borough are almost always less humid than Manhattan is.

Quick subway tip: Avoid the Lex Av/59th St station. It's MISERABLE this time of year.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
^^^ Mostly all the subway stations are a hot, humid mess during the summer. Grand central is one of the few stations with ac.

I hate, hate, hate summer! I can't stand it! I have to go out in a few hours and I am dreading it. If I had a car then I wouldn't mind it as much but walking in the hot sun and waiting on the hot subway platform is torturous.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Last night which was humid but not hot yet was okay BUT I was shocked when I got off the #4 express at Union Square to change for the L-train (and over to the Joyce Theater.)
The Union Square station was already BROILING and the temps were still in the 70's..

p.s. That Grand Central A/C is more hype than reality. Like tying a couple waterwings to the TITANIC.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Last night which was humid but not hot yet was okay BUT I was shocked when I got off the #4 express at Union Square to change for the L-train (and over to the Joyce Theater.)
The Union Square station was already BROILING and the temps were still in the 70's..

p.s. That Grand Central A/C is more hype than reality. Like tying a couple waterwings to the TITANIC.
The AC in all of the train stations is a joke. I share your pain about the temp in Union Square, at the very least they do have some fans overhead on the platforms, but it's no respite when it's blowing 100degree air at you- it feels more like a convection oven. I've never had such a wicked case of swamp ass in a place that claims "AC!" like the damn subways.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
That's because they're air coolers and not air conditioners.

The ones in Grand Central are quite entertaining since they have a tendency to leak a whole lot of water sometimes.

I brought up Lex/59th in particular b/c of its depth. Union Square is pretty bad itself but not nearly as bad as Lex/59th can be.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
wow, i really always thought my hate of heat and humidity was weird and put me in some small minority, good to see there are many others like me. i try not to hate summer but i wind up hibernating when it gets anywhere over 85 or so.
if i didn't love the city so much and it wasn't home i would probably head to the pacific NW coast.
That is probably one of the best factors in the PacificNW, Portland would get maybe a week where it broke 90 for the summer and everyone would run out an buy air conditioners. Though the down side are those late starts to summer when you don't get to put away your winter clothes until almost July. Then there are recent summers where it never got summer like, just sort of spring/fall like which is annoying when there really isn't a break from the cold and rain.

Having a real spring this year has been a favorite of mine, but I grew up in Virginia so I am not looking forward to July and August when the east coast tends to hit that horrible heat and humidity weather.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Ugh !!

Hot as anything here today in Brooklyn. I can't wait to go home today and then go to the laundromat. I have 3 sets of sheets that will dry just nicely on my clothesline today.

Yay !!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is probably one of the best factors in the PacificNW, Portland would get maybe a week where it broke 90 for the summer and everyone would run out an buy air conditioners. Though the down side are those late starts to summer when you don't get to put away your winter clothes until almost July. Then there are recent summers where it never got summer like, just sort of spring/fall like which is annoying when there really isn't a break from the cold and rain.
I've never been to the west coast but that sounds like my kind of weather. I'm an anomaly in that I love the cold. I would love to move somewhere where there isn't a real summer. Summer is literally the worst time of year for me. I am completely miserable.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
I know the extreme heat is very uncomfortable but I'll take this over a normal mid January chill any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City