Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times

Advertisements

The rental car company will pay the ticket, as they want nothing outstanding that could potentially affect the registration of the vehicle. You will likely be assessed a fee by the rental agency, and it was likely disclosed in the rental agreement when you signed/initialed places on the agreement. It does not matter if the ticket was a photo ticket, or a traditional ticket, as the ticket policy is the same, and by renting the car you agreed to pay any/all fines, so they will just charge your credit card with an amended rental fee.

Contact the rental car company and ask for an address to which you can send documentation of your appeal, if you plan to appeal the ticket. You will need to keep them appraised of the situation, however, and know that you will have to pay the fines levied if the appeal fails. You may get a one-time offer of a reduction in fine, prior to the case being reviewed by a hearing officer, and if I were in the same situation, I'd be inclined to take any deal offered. The money paid for the tow is gone, so any potential reduction would be on the fine levied for the parking violation. They will also not take into account the towing fees with respect to offering any reduction in the parking ticket.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
The rental car company will pay the ticket, as they want nothing outstanding that could potentially affect the registration of the vehicle. You will likely be assessed a fee by the rental agency, and it was likely disclosed in the rental agreement when you signed/initialed places on the agreement. It does not matter if the ticket was a photo ticket, or a traditional ticket, as the ticket policy is the same, and by renting the car you agreed to pay any/all fines, so they will just charge your credit card with an amended rental fee.
He is correct. Once the rental company pays for the ticket the legal proceedings are over. They pay NYC and you pay your credit card company. Its over. They paid the ticket on your behalf. Go on with your life and chaulk it up to experience.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 30,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Yup, contact the rental company and resign yourself to paying the fine.
Why should I resign myself to paying the fine? I can do it on my own with my credit card over the website, right? Letting the car company do it for me and be additionally charged for that is the last thing I want

I would really want to do everything (write a letter and appeal, pay for the ticket and stuff) on my own as I believe car company would charge me additionally.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
He is correct. Once the rental company pays for the ticket the legal proceedings are over. They pay NYC and you pay your credit card company. Its over. They paid the ticket on your behalf. Go on with your life and chaulk it up to experience.
Hmm, but it's me who's having the ticket (piece of paper I mean). Rental company won't be noticed until payment period expires, right?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Rental company won't be noticed until payment period expires, right?
The rental company is the registered owner of the car. So they will get the mailed ticket. You were lucky is happened in NY. In numerous other states you have to pay for the ticket first. Then take take the proof of payment to the tow yard and then pay them their part before you can get the car back.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM

OK, so you suggest to get in touch with rental company about issue (which I already did) and wait what they say? I was thinking to start sorting things out directly with NYC right away.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
OK, so you suggest to get in touch with rental company about issue (which I already did) and wait what they say? I was thinking to start sorting things out directly with NYC right away.
There is nothing to get in touch with. Sometime in the next two months you will have a charge on your credit card and then you'll need to pay the credit card company.

Its like when I was in Warsaw last year. My incidental bills didn't show up for two billing cycles. I got charged fees by my credit card company that added 3% to the charge. The credit card will add fees for the transaction and for the money conversion.

So don't give it another thought. The bill will come when it comes.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 AM

OK. Now I am unsure how to handle appealing process. I'd like to do it. Should I do it via rental company or directly with NYC? If I start it directly with NYC will rental company hold on with charging me for the ticket?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM

How can you not understand bureaucracy ? Its been paid by the credit card company and now you have to repay them and thats it.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Rental company has answered. They don't pay tickets. Everyone has to do it on its own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City