Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have lived rodent free in my 6th floor apartment for 6 years thank God. In our laundry room on the ground floor which was extensively redone 2 years ago i notice traps everywhere and frequently foul smells, obviously from dead rodents, which the super removes

These rodents obviously get in through the mega holes in the ceilings and around the big pipes that run thru the ceilings and walls.

why doesn't the super/landlord just plug them with steel wool or get some kind of sealing clamps (like bathtubs around the faucets do to seal the openings)?

2 weeks ago i was throwing out trash, turned on the light and as soon as my bag hit the pail a rodent came scampering out and out into the hallway where there are also apartments. i felt bad that i caused a rodent to come out into the hallway and possible into someone's apartment(and may have awakened someone with my odd sounding yell and running like a bat out of hell!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM

87 posts, read 204,872 times
Lots of buildings here have mice or rats. It's really not that big a deal. The neighborhood is probably infested and the super realizes that plugging holes would be futile and just prompt the mice (or rats) to gnaw new ones, causing further damage to the building and more expense and hassle.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Hi. I have lived rodent free in my 6th floor apartment for 6 years thank God. In our laundry room on the ground floor which was extensively redone 2 years ago i notice traps everywhere and frequently foul smells, obviously from dead rodents, which the super removes

These rodents obviously get in through the mega holes in the ceilings and around the big pipes that run thru the ceilings and walls.

why doesn't the super/landlord just plug them with steel wool or get some kind of sealing clamps (like bathtubs around the faucets do to seal the openings)?

2 weeks ago i was throwing out trash, turned on the light and as soon as my bag hit the pail a rodent came scampering out and out into the hallway where there are also apartments. i felt bad that i caused a rodent to come out into the hallway and possible into someone's apartment(and may have awakened someone with my odd sounding yell and running like a bat out of hell!!).
What do you expect its a basement for christ sake. YOu dont see Mr. Klebowitz complaining about rodents while he reads the NYT while doing laundry in his UWS basement.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Rats and mice (especially mice) are unfortunately everywhere in the city, especially near basements. If you see the super, you can casually mention to him that you thought you saw a mouse coming in through one of the holes. Not sure if he will pay any attention. But it would definitely help if he plugged up those holes.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
The trick is to immerse the steel wool in ammonia for a minute or two before plugging the hole. They will try to gnaw at it and get a mouthful of poison. That's rodenticide for you....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM

106 posts, read 251,465 times
Rodents are everywhere. city suburbs if there is food they are there. It is just a matter of controlling them. lol that sounds like a good rodenticide

Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
A cat in the laundry room works pretty well.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,823 times
which rodent do you have mice or rats? You should take photos, contact your landlord with the proof and call 311 and see if this is a health hazard since they do drop feces.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM

316 posts, read 989,742 times
I think you should contact your super, not an anonymous internet forum.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
In our laundry room on the ground floor which was extensively redone 2 years ago i notice traps everywhere and frequently foul smells, obviously from dead rodents, which the super removes
If they have started to smell, I don't think he removes them very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City