Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times

Advertisements

I am all for foodstamps aka EBT as long as they are going to people in need and the people in need are using them for the sole purpose of food and nothing but food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
That's only your personal story though. There are many people who, without food stamps and other government assistance, they and their families would go hungry & have even a less chance of rising out of poverty. It's easy to say "pull yourself by your bootstraps" as if government action doesn't play a part of how people ended up in generational poverty.
Oh I'm not alone, I think you'd be surprised how many people there are like me who have gotten screwed. Poverty doesn't discriminate, and yet the system does.

It also appears as though you're contradicting yourself. You praise the government's welfare system, and then condemn the govt for keeping generations in poverty. The action you applaud directly contributes directly to the situation you criticize.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I have absolutely no problem with anyone getting FS. If you're in need, you're in need. I know there are plenty of working families that need them and it's great that it's available to help get them over the rough times.

What I DO have a problem with is the generational thing where generation after generation is living off the system, bilking the taxpayers out of free housing, food, etc while they are more than capable of working and providing for themselves.
Unfortunately, breaking that cycle is harder than telling them..go get a job at Walmart...
There is an initiative called Circles here's a link to a local one (for me)
About the Adams County Circles Initiative It's people helping families out of poverty by giving them support (not financial) and it works

Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Oh I'm not alone, I think you'd be surprised how many people there are like me who have gotten screwed. Poverty doesn't discriminate, and yet the system does.

It also appears as though you're contradicting yourself. You praise the government's welfare system, and then condemn the govt for keeping generations in poverty. The action you applaud directly contributes directly to the situation you criticize.
I was once housemates with these people...witnessed the third generation on welfare being born.

They were decent enough people. But, so far as making good life decisions, they were basket cases.

Anything negative you do to them will make their kids life a misery.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyrobeson View Post
Why not just give people who are down on their luck a decent amount of money to live on so they don't have to humiliate themselves with food stamps and people deciding what they should and shouldn't buy?!
Yeah let's just give them money to spend however they like. That way, whether they want to buy drugs, go to the movies or take a nice fluffy vacation--the money will be there.

Now that you mention it, maybe we should give them bonuses too

Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I was once housemates with these people...witnessed the third generation on welfare being born.

They were decent enough people. But, so far as making good life decisions, they were basket cases.

Anything negative you do to them will make their kids life a misery.
I do feel bad for the kids, but they're not a good reason to perpetuate a broken system that just encourages the downward spiral. I wish there were some better options out there.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:05 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yeah let's just give them money to spend however they like. That way, whether they want to buy drugs, go to the movies or take a nice fluffy vacation--the money will be there.

Now that you mention it, maybe we should give them bonuses too
The poster has a point though. You can't get out of poverty without earning the wages necessary to get out of it. It's not the complete answer, but it's a necessary part of it.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post

Don't get me confused: I'm not saying the government's welfare system is spectacular but I acknowledge that it legitimately provide for those who are in deep poverty. IMO, it's not a contradiction as the reason many families (and I'm referring specifically to black and Latino lower income families) are in generational poverty have very little to do with welfare, section 8, or any government program. The government is responsible for redlining and discriminatory acts that kept families from reaching middle class status for decades: that is what I'm condemning.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Wondering why the OP is so worried about how others live and what they foods they choose to purchase.

There are many food stamp recipients who do WORK and receive benefits. Hell I WISH I COULD QUALIFY FOR FOOD STAMPS with the way food prices are rising.

I mean dayum how would you like me to look into your shopping cart and say you shouldn't be buying that gallon of Merlot, or Zinfindel.
They are probably worried because it is their right to and because they support the system with their work wages.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 PM

448 posts, read 685,048 times
This is still going?

Anyways I got some fresh salmon for dinner and brownie mix and icecream for dessert!

Thank you EBT god!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City