Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well let's take it a step further. Why should we be obligated to even use our taxes to benefit others? Why should my tax dollars go to this country to help fight wars? I'm not fighting anybody. Why should money come out of my check for Social Security thats not mine, and I might not even have access to my own when I'm 65?

Let's not blame the government, but let's go after the 22 year old single mother of 2 who just happened to be buying her kids snacks when you walked through the front door of the bodega. Yeah, great idea guys!

These threads are getting more and more ridiculous. Its like NYC sucks so much we have to kick the people that are down already instead of going after the real bully. Sorry that certain people don't have a nice enough job, enough friends, or much of a life in general to really sit around and have such inconceivable thoughts like "shipping all the Section 8s to Staten Island" or "sanctioning food stamps." And blaming the people using them instead of the people that issue them.

If any of you who are denouncing what people spend their food stamps on would tell me that you would change your diet in an instant if u were on EBT, you're a liar.
This whole post is on point! I just can't understand the thrill people get out of minding someone's business when concerning the big picture, it has so little effect on them. The real important situations that people should be getting a rise over are just flying over their heads. Always easy to go after those who can't defend themselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
I think people care about this because it's their own money being spent. Of course, our taxes go to other outrageous things (like war), but in the case of food stamps/welfare, it's something a taxpayer can see right in front of their eyes. These programs are necessary and some who use them have paid into the system. But a lot of people who are working two jobs to put food on the table look at the "luxury items" being paid for with stamps and feel cheated.

Side note: "luxury" in this case means it's not necessary and it's extra, like dessert. No one's saying that you need to put on a tuxedo to eat a Snickers bar.

Not much one can do about it though. I just shrug, because I believe in survival of the fittest. People who choose to eat good food deserve their health. People who don't get to suffer the complications that come later on.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I think people care about this because it's their own money being spent. Of course, our taxes go to other outrageous things (like war), but in the case of food stamps/welfare, it's something a taxpayer can see right in front of their eyes.
So as long as somebody steals from me, and it's not blatant in front of my face, then I shouldn't stress it too much? Lol.
I'm not bashing you at all, as I completely understand the concept. I'm bashing those who are not seeing the bigger picture.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM

448 posts, read 685,267 times
I'm curious to know if any of you have even been on foodstamps? I'm currently gettin foodstamps, and #1 you have to WORKING or in a job search program to even get them.

And the person working two jobs "struggling" I'm pretty sure can qualify for foodstamps to keep food on her table for her family. Her silly pride is why is that is happening. If you need help, get it. Nothing wrong with that.

Me getting a 75 cent candy bar hardly dents your pockets...

So do I also not deserve to shop at whole foods or the farmers market(which I do since I'm a vegetarian) because the food is expensive? You do know that it actually cost MORE money to eat healthy then it does to eat unhealthy?

Just because of this thread, I'm gonna go to the store tommorow, purchase all the candy and loudly proclaim that I'm paying with ebt, and watch people look at me in disgust while I happily enjoy my future diabetes

Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I get a small amount of FS each month and I'm surprised at what is allowed on them. I fully expected that sweets and chips and such wouldn't be allowed, but they are.

They don't pay for toilet paper though. Go figure.
toilet paper is not food. UNLESS you're one of the few that eats yours after you use it for 2nd helpings of processed food.....

Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Agree 110%

I actually knew someone who tried to use food stamps at Omaha Steaks

*for those who aren't familiar with Omaha Steaks, it is a high end, gourmet food store. And most people who do not receive food stamps couldn't afford to eat there, let alone feed a family of four.

Omaha steaks is HIGH END...ROFLMAO....... Gosh then what is Peter Luger then

Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So as long as somebody steals from me, and it's not blatant in front of my face, then I shouldn't stress it too much? Lol.
I'm not bashing you at all, as I completely understand the concept. I'm bashing those who are not seeing the bigger picture.
You can have an opinion about the bigger picture and the little things at the same time. This thread just happens to be about the little thing.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,825 times
LMAO @ a candy bar being a luxury.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
So do I also not deserve to shop at whole foods or the farmers market(which I do since I'm a vegetarian) because the food is expensive? You do know that it actually cost MORE money to eat healthy then it does to eat unhealthy?
Funny, a week's worth of vegetables and other fresh food is cheaper for me than when I go on a junk food binge. Here's a secret tip: they sell that stuff at regular supermarkets, not just Whole Foods! Sometimes they even have sales!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
The government should not be responsible for feeding "the 22 year old single mother of 2", who should not be having children in the first place if she can't afford to provide a roof over their head on her own dollar, put food in their stomach on her own dollar and buy clothes for her children. Since, however, that is the case, then yes, there should be limits on the types of food that can be bought. Boy it must be nice buying chips, cookies and candy on the taxpayer's dollar while some of those taxpayers who are struggling, can't even buy the above foods to enjoy themselves cause they can't spare the extra money.
what if that 22 yr old lost her husband in war. Had everything and when she lost her husband she had no choice but to go on food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City