U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 AM

111 posts, read 213,741 times

Advertisements

After watching Andrew Zimmern and Tony Bourdain visit a few bars and various 'street vendors' on an episode of Bizarre Food, the area of Red Hook seemd to me the perfect New York neighborhood, lively, close to Manhattan, diverse, different, great views etc. I guess it seemed a largely undiscovered yet fun place to visit and even to live.

Yet this forum paints a totally different picture of the area.

What is the real deal with Red Hook? Should I check it out for myself?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 AM

3,027 posts, read 6,545,901 times
Has two parts as is the case with most gentrified neighborhoods... Bushwick has its relatively small area from Dekalb to Jefferson which is still roughly 60% hispanic 15 % white but the rest are the transplants... Williamsburg has Northside, but southside for the most part remains largely ungentrified... LES aves A and B have gentrified a large amount but C and D remain largely untouched... Same situation for Red Hook, area by the IKEA have improved substantially but a large amount still retains that same gritty feel as in any Brooklyn hood though it has improved overall alot in recent years...

Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 AM

340 posts, read 932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
After watching Andrew Zimmern and Tony Bourdain visit a few bars and various 'street vendors' on an episode of Bizarre Food, the area of Red Hook seemd to me the perfect New York neighborhood, lively, close to Manhattan, diverse, different, great views etc. I guess it seemed a largely undiscovered yet fun place to visit and even to live.

Yet this forum paints a totally different picture of the area.

Its not undiscovered. Transplants are boosters are everywhere.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 AM

40,049 posts, read 33,225,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
Ah, so you've noticed that people don't hesitate to express their opinions...and those opinions aren't often unanimous. The answer to your question is a resounding "YES!" (Rule of thumb: never let other people tell you whether or not to visit a particular neighborhood, since everything they think about it is entirely subjective).

Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM

17,590 posts, read 29,612,117 times
I have discovered Red Hook 2 summers ago on my bike. It is the most fun place to ride, so much to discover. Old cobblestoned streets. Uniques places here and there. Ikea plaza has piers out into the water. Valentino pier, they go kayaking. We saw the Queen mary 2 and the 2 other ships last winter with the firework display at Miss Liberty.
Red Hook ball fields all the food vendors are there every weekend. Red Hook also has an olympic size pool. it is a great area!! Love it.....The only drawback is there are NO subway's there.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM

1,870 posts, read 4,073,931 times
I think Red Hook is yet another overlooked, somewhat affordable neighborhood. As Nightcrawler mentioned, there is no easy subway access. However, I'd just get a beater bike and take it to the subway everyday. Problem solved.

Honestly, I'd love to be close to IKEA--you could just carry your stuff home. I hate arranging for delivery or renting a car to go there.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM

288 posts, read 546,609 times
Trying to find an honest opinion about any neighborhood on this forum is like finding a needle in a haystack. Go look for yourself. I think it's a great neighborhood with a very unique feel. I would move there in a second if the subway access was better.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 AM

17,590 posts, read 29,612,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Trying to find an honest opinion about any neighborhood on this forum is like finding a needle in a haystack. Golook for yourself. I think it's a great neighborhood with a very unique feel. I would move there in a second if the subway access was better.

LOL, that is because everyone has a different idea of what is a good, nice, ok, bad, horrible neighborhood.

We all have very different standards of living.....Like I wouldnt touch Bushwick with a 100 foot pole.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM

288 posts, read 546,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LOL, that is because everyone has a different idea of what is a good, nice, ok, bad, horrible neighborhood.

We all have very different standards of living.....Like I wouldnt touch Bushwick with a 100 foot pole.
You're 100% right. That's why the only useful advice you can give someone is to go see for themselves. New York is such a diverse, interesting and mesmerizing city. Why spend your time on an internet forum with total strangers who's opinions you can only take with a huge huge grain of salt if you can explore for yourself and have a great and inspiring time?

That's all I'm saying.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 AM

4,988 posts, read 7,875,523 times
On one hand, it may be nice if the streetcar ever comes back to the area. On the other, I can easily see what will become of the neighborhood if it does. And it would most likely be annoying, pretentious, and just a sad sight to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City