Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you want to do it on your own, make sure to have a Stud Finder,
Electric Drill, and Socket Wrench first. You can easily find them from
your local hardware stores. And watch some youtube video on how
other people do it.
I've got all that stuff and am pretty good about getting studs with drywall screws. But help me out with one point: When you buy a mount do the bolts that go into the TV come with the mount? Are they all standard or do you get a gazillion bolts to pick and choose from?
My main fear is damaging the TV with the bolts.

I envision there is a bracket you attach to the TV and a bracket you attach to the wall and then last attach one to the other. Is that close to corrrect?

Fortunately everything is HDMI so there aren't too many wires to hide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,283,573 times
What ever you do, be gentle while mounting your tv!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 AM

916 posts, read 2,241,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I've got all that stuff and am pretty good about getting studs with drywall screws. But help me out with one point: When you buy a mount do the bolts that go into the TV come with the mount? Are they all standard or do you get a gazillion bolts to pick and choose from?
My main fear is damaging the TV with the bolts.

I envision there is a bracket you attach to the TV and a bracket you attach to the wall and then last attach one to the other. Is that close to corrrect?

Fortunately everything is HDMI so there aren't too many wires to hide
Yes, your envision is correct. And most brackets today are build
universally. So, as long as you have the correct brackets for the
size and weight limit of your TV you should be fine. The package
should have included screws with your brackets, just pick the ones
that fits the screw holes on the back of your TV.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Thank you.
I am a recent Manhattan move-in and have downsized from a larger NJ apartment, natch. I just cannot figure out where to fit a sofa (I have 2 huge recliners.)
After weeks of gnashing my teeth I realized that if I get The 46 inch Bravia on the wall and toss out the (beautiful) component cabinet underneath, I could get a sofa under the TV...sort of 2 for 1 on space.+
It's nervous-making but I think possible.

For TV watching the recliners will still face the TV. With guests on the sofa, the entertainment will be talking (and drinking!)

Is one brand of mount supposed to be much better than the others?

I'm starting to get excited over this...like finding more space in my apartment.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-15-2011 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 09:05 AM

916 posts, read 2,241,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thank you.
I am a recent Manhattan move-in and have downsized from a larger NJ apartment, natch. I just cannot figure out where to fit a sofa (I have 2 huge recliners.)
After weeks of gnashing my teeth I realized that if I get The 46 inch Bravia on the wall and toss out the (beautiful) component cabinet underneath, I could get a sofa under the TV.
It's nervous-making but I think possible.

For TV watching the recliners will still face the TV. With guests on the sofa, the entertainment will be talking (and drinking!)

Is one brand of mount supposed to be much better than the others?

I'm starting to get excited over this...like finding more space in my apartment.
You usually get what you pay for, I don't think different brand make
that much of a difference as compare to price. It's a little different
than buying HDTV or Monitors, where a reputed brand is always a
better and safer choice.

You can also add some pictures or a large mirror to the wall to make
the room feel more spacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City