Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 AM

29 posts, read 118,502 times

Advertisements

I am moving and I need to transport a small sofa, a closet cabinet and some other small stuff.

What is cheapest van/small truck renting service? I am in Brooklyn, btw.

Thanks in advance.

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5182 View Post
I am moving and I need to transport a small sofa, a closet cabinet and some other small stuff.

What is cheapest van/small truck renting service? I am in Brooklyn, btw.

Thanks in advance.

David
Why don't you just get a U-Haul Cargo van.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM

106 posts, read 251,465 times
I think U haul has pretty decent rates.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I have used U-Haul before, and I was very happy.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
U-Haul and Penske use similar pricing policies whereby the van is rented at one rate, and mileage charged. However, Enterprise also rents cargo vans and you can get a flat rate that includes mileage. Budget also rents cargo vans, so it's worth comparing rates, projected mileage, etc. to accurately find the least expensive price, but also factor convenience as some only rent cargo vans at certain locations that have variable hours, not like other rental locations. That may require a trip to the van, or keeping it until the rental location reopens on a Monday, if they have limited weekend hours, for example.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for advice. I went with U-Haul. I rented a Cargo Van for $19.99 + $0.99/mile (+ $11 for insurance).

I am renting for 12 hours and I plan to keep the van parked on the street (non-meter) in a residential neighborhood for a couple of hours. Does anyone know if this is permissible as far as NYC parking laws are concerned? Could I be ticketed or even worse have the NYPD tow the van? I mean will NYPD consider this a commercial vehicle and thus not eligible to be parked on a street like any other private vehicle?

Thanks.

David

Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
You should have no problems with the U-Haul, even if it has commercial plates on it, because you will be in the residential area for a couple of hours. I believe it's three hours before a commercial vehicle needs to be moved, so provided that you are legally parked, you should not get a ticket. I would, however, put a sign on the dashboard that states that you are a private party renter and that the truck is engaged in a non-commercial activity. Overnight parking may be where you would run into problems, especially with larger trucks, neither of which apply in your situation with a twelve-hour rental period.

You can also call the local precinct where you would be parked in the residential zone and ask them where you should park, and what information to include on the sign on the dashboard regarding the non-commercial use of the vehicle. Be sure to get the name and date of the person to whom you speak, and perhaps even send a follow up e-mail to thank them for their information, restating what you were told over the phone. That way, if you do run into a problem, you can show that you contacted the proper authorities for advice and followed what you were told to do.

I really don't think you will have a problem, but there are many NYPD traffic agents who write tickets that are not valid, such as not understanding that it's perfectly legal to stand at a hydrant from sunrise to sunset provided the driver is ready and able to move the car if required to do so. Said driver must not leave the vehicle for a millisecond, and must be behind the wheel (passengers don't count) with the keys and documentation for the vehicle, and possess a valid driver's license. If you need to stand the van, you may do so, provided you have a driver who can remain in the vehicle at all times, from sunrise to sunset on streets where parking is ordinarily permitted, save for the hydrant zone. So, there could be a similar misunderstanding with the U-Haul, and I would err in favor of clarification before any potential issue, since you don't want your move to be disrupted by unforeseen traffic agent difficulties.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Thank you. Advice is greatly appreciated.

One more question. I am moving from Brooklyn to Staten Island. Can I use the EZPass tag from my car when going through the toll with the U-Haul van?

Thanks.

David

Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5182 View Post
Thank you. Advice is greatly appreciated.

One more question. I am moving from Brooklyn to Staten Island. Can I use the EZPass tag from my car when going through the toll with the U-Haul van?

Thanks.

David
It's a violation because of different class between your car and the van.
They charge you different prices for the car, the van and track.

Class Mismatch: When the vehicle class of the tag you are using
does not match that of the vehicle you are driving.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:39 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
You are good parking the rental van on a residential street during the day.
However overnight is where you might run into problems, they will give you a ticket if you are parked overnight in a residential area. I expect your bill to be around $80.00 including gas, tax.

The going rate for a move like yours for a man with van service from Craigslist would be at least $125.00 since nobody likes to go into Staten
Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City