Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
If they knew there was even a 1% chance of the towers collapsing then 99% wouldn't have gone in. I wouldn't blame them either. No one is suicidal and it would've been a fruitless effort anyhow. They woudn't have been sent in in the first place.

There are some real selfless, balls out guys and gals who still would've ventured in but the vast majority would not.

So please stop feeding these bull****, outlier arguments.
It's a fact that being a cop is less dangerous than more than a handful of other jobs out there that pay less in total compensation.

Also, how many cops are actually on the beat and how many are desk jockeys? Riddle me that. Hint: more desk jockeys than front line cops. The joke at the NYPD is that for the first 5 years you get to play cops and robbers and then you retire at a desk (this came from a NYPD sergeant that I know).

What I bolded up there explains everything about these jobs. You never know what is going to happen. The guys running into any burning structure never know if the whole thing is going to collapse on them. The cop answering a domestic dispute call never knows if they are going to be greeted with a 9mm in there face or be pushed off a ledge to their death (sound familiar?). Do you comprehend this? Any call can be the last one. To say that "if they knew that there was even a 1% chance blah blah blah" is the epitome of a "lame argument" as you like to say. This is the nature of the job, genius.

Maybe being a cop is statistically less dangerous than being an Alaskan king crab fisherman. Ok, what is your point? Those guys deserve what they get and believe me they can make a whole hell of a lot more than a civil servant in NYC. Especially when you take COL into account. The compensation for the majority of these guys is really not that high. It affords a middle class lifestyle at best. Until you've walked the beat on a humid August night in the south bronx or east new york projects, or until you raced into a blazing inferno; you don't know what you're talking about. Sure, some guys promote up to a desk after a number of years. But it's not the majority as you say. In your own words, that is a joke...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
What I bolded up there explains everything about these jobs. You never know what is going to happen. The guys running into any burning structure never know if the whole thing is going to collapse on them. The cop answering a domestic dispute call never knows if they are going to be greeted with a 9mm in there face or be pushed off a ledge to their death (sound familiar?). Do you comprehend this? Any call can be the last one. To say that "if they knew that there was even a 1% chance blah blah blah" is the epitome of a "lame argument" as you like to say. This is the nature of the job, genius.

Maybe being a cop is statistically less dangerous than being an Alaskan king crab fisherman. Ok, what is your point? Those guys deserve what they get and believe me they can make a whole hell of a lot more than a civil servant in NYC. Especially when you take COL into account. The compensation for the majority of these guys is really not that high. It affords a middle class lifestyle at best. Until you've walked the beat on a humid August night in the south bronx or east new york projects, or until you raced into a blazing inferno; you don't know what you're talking about. Sure, some guys promote up to a desk after a number of years. But it's not the majority as you say. In your own words, that is a joke...

First off, more bs.

A lot of jobs have risks. My father works in commercial construction going on 23 years and he's had 2 close calls and numerous injuries throughout. Just 4 months ago he had a piece of scaffolding fall 20 ft and hit him in the back of the neck. He was lucky it was a glancing blow and his hard hat took the brunt of the damage. In fact, it's a more dangerous job than being a cop.

Taking into account outlier circumstances is a moot point because it goes for virtually any job. Point of fact is that being a cop is less dangerous than other jobs. That's not debatable.

Also, you're out of your mind if you think a lot of these guys can do better. The private sector is not a nice place nowadays. Maybe 50 years ago they could do better when you traded public sector job security for private sector pay and benefits but that doesn't hold anymore.

Most of these guys wouldn't be able to get anything but 30k jobs nowadays. even with the more stringent requirements and better selection as a result of the current economic climate, only 30% of this years recruits have a college degree. Go into the private sector and virtually anyone starting with 40k + benefits has at least a college degree.

Don't kid yourself. Most go in because they're getting better pay, job security, and benefits than they'd otherwise be able to get int he private sector. Making 36k + health benefits + pension + virtual 100% job security unless you're a total **** up is not too shabby for a start.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:28 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
First off, more bs.

A lot of jobs have risks. My father works in commercial construction going on 23 years and he's had 2 close calls and numerous injuries throughout. Just 4 months ago he had a piece of scaffolding fall 20 ft and hit him in the back of the neck. He was lucky it was a glancing blow and his hard hat took the brunt of the damage. In fact, it's a more dangerous job than being a cop.

Taking into account outlier circumstances is a moot point because it goes for virtually any job. Point of fact is that being a cop is less dangerous than other jobs. That's not debatable.

Holy **** dude, you're reading comprehension skills are questionable at best. I was specifically addressing your point that "even if there was a 1% chance blah blah blah..." I never said that these jobs are more dangerous statistically than other jobs. Please, please stop putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

Quote:
Also, you're out of your mind if you think a lot of these guys can do better. The private sector is not a nice place nowadays. Maybe 50 years ago they could do better when you traded public sector job security for private sector pay and benefits but that doesn't hold anymore.

Most of these guys wouldn't be able to get anything but 30k jobs nowadays. even with the more stringent requirements and better selection as a result of the current economic climate, only 30% of this years recruits have a college degree. Go into the private sector and virtually anyone starting with 40k + benefits has at least a college degree.

Don't kid yourself. Most go in because they're getting better pay, job security, and benefits than they'd otherwise be able to get int he private sector. Making 36k + health benefits + pension + virtual 100% job security unless you're a total **** up is not too shabby for a start.

Where did I say that "a lot of these guys can do better"? WTF??

Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This should not be an attack on the police, it is really a corrupt system that needs to be fixed, and I think available can agree with that. We don't have to get rid of the union, but we should if it chooses to encourage, support, and ultimately reward this behavior. Furthermore, I don't think in 2011 anyone "deserves" to be in a union, this is not a right, it is just an option, and at this point this option is proving to be a big negative.

If they were the first in line to correct this problem, I would be on their side, but to demand he gets his pension back and/or another city job after he defrauded the city and failed a drug test is really ludicrous. A reasonable person should understand this, and any group that chooses to reward this behavior is no friend of ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: