Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 AM

288 posts, read 565,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Its already starting to happen in Astoria, which is a far cry from the South Bronx. White homeless transplants, a new species for NYC.
Hahahaha you really are the Fox News of City Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,959,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You think so?

Imagine the sort of person who needs to rent space in a $600 apartment in the South Bronx!!! Probably a crackhead for a LL/roommate.

You need to understand, at the money levels you are talking, make the slightest mistake and you will be homeless living on the streets of The South Bronx.

You should also realize the whole idea. Is a mistake, and you are likely to wind up homeless on the street.

Its already starting to happen in Astoria, which is a far cry from the South Bronx. White homeless transplants, a new species for NYC.
Yeah I heard about that from a doorman that works in Astoria that some new abandoned housing complexes housed homeless white transplants who squat inside these new buildings. Sad.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,735 times
thanks for the answers & suggestions. According to most of the replies, it seems like theres more cons than pros in the sbx, but the fact that the area would be really close of uptown manhattan is pretty interesting (i know people livin in the heights and in el barrio). talkin about living in a poor/high crime area, thats not a problem to me, i would mind my business like i always did, i feel comfortable in general, even in the middle of a grimy environment, no problem with that.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,280,254 times
Yea $600 won't get you much in the BX. I've seen ads for studios go for $650, but I'm sure that's not the norm. The best that kinda change will get you is a room or if you chip in with 2-3 roommates and get you a nice 2-3 bedroom in a nicer area or something. The good thing is that the areas you mentioned are like 5-10 mins by train to Manhattan and if you have a car you can drive to Jersey, Upstate NY, or CT very easily on the highways without paying a toll.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,218,331 times
Your new home. http://newyork.backpage.com/Apartmen...month/21966677 1 bedroom, 585/month!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM

337 posts, read 966,511 times
$600? Are you kidding? Tenements? Have you been watching old movies set in the Bronx? LOL. Where do these people get this stuff?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM

80 posts, read 173,867 times
It depends on the area (proximity to subway primarily and condition of the building that you live in). I also would not pay a lot considering their are significant quality of life issues in the area at this time. The neighborhoods that make the South Bronx are an incubator for a wide spectrum of social problems. There are a lot of trouble pockets in the city, but the South Bronx is among the largest. Some decent pockets in there but overall the situation is still bleak for the residents.

The South Bronx has a future as long as they keep building it dense with these new mixed zoned, green projects that have been going up lately; Via Verde for instance. It can become a continuation of upper Manhattan, especially if the Third Ave El was resurrected. However unlikely for some time.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,218,331 times
You have a point yourboy718...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,000,664 times
Quote:
Nelson Reeves, 17, lured the undercover cop into the building on Prospect Ave. in Crotona to sell him crack, police sources said. But once inside the lobby, Reeves tried to shake the undercover cop down for more cash, police sources said.

The teen then pulled out a .25-caliber pistol and tried to rob the undercover cop, the sources said.
Quote:
Residents said the block is plagued by the drug trade and related violence. Two women who live on the block said they weren't phased when they heard at least three gunshots ring out.

"I heard, but didn't even pay attention. It's nothing new around here," said one of the women, who asked to remain anonymous. "Drugs, guns, gangs - this block is bad."

Jasmin Guzman, 23, said she grew up on the block but was forced to move because of the persistent drug crime.

"All these young kids, drug activity - mostly marijuana," she said. "They're always fighting, shooting at each other. They all come up with their little gang names, their own little sets."

Read more: Undercover cop kills teen in Bronx; drug sting led to gun fight in apartment building
Good luck!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 10,735 times
it don't look like a nice area obviously (even though how could it be with such a low rent price), plus that part is nearly part of the central bronx so it starts to be a little too far from uptown manhattan, and one of the reason i wanted to move in the south of the borough was its proximity with the latino parts of manhattan like east harlem and washington heights, thats why im looking to mott haven, melrose or possibly around claremont village...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City