Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about NYC?
Like 53 62.35%
Dislike 17 20.00%
Neutral 15 17.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:03 AM

11 posts, read 16,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourboy718 View Post
That is so not true. NYC is still culturally unique. Only now there is more drive to make this city truly great.
He does not understand that and all he sees is hate. There is no getting thru to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,726 times
The Modern Architecture is awful, there squeezed into these tiny lots and block the view of the "beautiful older structures and landmarks" it would actually be decent if these condos weren't just thrown anywhere it was possible (i.e. next to projects, brownstones, abandoned buildings etc...) and there was an actual clever placement behind it....The racism is another issue, the older ny'ers may have their views of another ethnic group (not necessarily racist)but they've lived here long enough to get over it for the most part, way better than transplants, with some of them its like they can't properly interact with someone not white...or have never seen a black person before they got here...kinda makes you wonder

Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 AM

80 posts, read 174,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rela View Post
The Modern Architecture is awful, there squeezed into these tiny lots and block the view of the "beautiful older structures and landmarks" it would actually be decent if these condos weren't just thrown anywhere it was possible (i.e. next to projects, brownstones, abandoned buildings etc...) and there was an actual clever placement behind it....The racism is another issue, the older ny'ers may have their views of another ethnic group (not necessarily racist)but they've lived here long enough to get over it for the most part, way better than transplants, with some of them its like they can't properly interact with someone not white...or have never seen a black person before they got here...kinda makes you wonder
They are building plenty of great looking apartment buildings all over the city. NYC building style is mixed, we have a lot of different construction over a number of eras.

Some are pretty crappy though, mostly in the outer boroughs. The Fedders style homes are awful and should be banned. Should we have centralized A/C in all new construction? Why would you build plain boxes on historical rows?

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SLICES/95th/14.fedders.jpg (broken link)
Out of place? You think? these are scars.

The problem is it is NEW YORKERS moving into this crappy construction and no one coming together to stop this ****. The luxury condos many "transplant" young professionals are moving into are very good looking and urban.

Mod edit: copyrighted photo

Also most of the transplants are not W.A.S.P. There is quiet a mix of people, from eastern and western Euros, Latin Americans, Asians, and even Africans. Most are highly educated, professionals, millennials, open minded. Old school New Yorkers are much more likely to be ghetto, old school conservative, RACIST, poor mannered, uneducated (do an education comparison yourself).

Source? Born and raised in NYC yet took the time to travel the country and overseas.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 07-22-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I've seen plenty of older construction that looks terrible also. It's much too expensive these days to build massive marble apartment buildings on every corner in the city to satisfy the aesthetic tastes of some residents--though that seems to be what they want.

I think that older, beautiful buildings should be preserved wherever possible and feasible -- but the city has a housing problem and we need to not be so picky. There needs to be a sense of economy in building construction and I'm afraid that most it often doesn't result in buildings you'd find in "Architectural Digest". I think its better to focus on green spaces around such structures.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Well y'all know my vote. I'm over it! lol
However, I respect peoples decision to continue living here and moving here. I definitely do not envy them, though, and I'm excited to leave in a few years. IMO, the cons far outweigh the pros in this city.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM

80 posts, read 174,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I've seen plenty of older construction that looks terrible also. It's much too expensive these days to build massive marble apartment buildings on every corner in the city to satisfy the aesthetic tastes of some residents--though that seems to be what they want.

I think that older, beautiful buildings should be preserved wherever possible and feasible -- but the city has a housing problem and we need to not be so picky. There needs to be a sense of economy in building construction and I'm afraid that most it often doesn't result in buildings you'd find in "Architectural Digest". I think its better to focus on green spaces around such structures.
The thing is that affordable housing does not need to be ugly, out of place, and terribly planned.

http://www.nychdc.com/images/boricua%20village%20rendering%201.JPG (broken link)

Two examples of excellent affordable housing.

Blame the developers, NIMBYS, and residents that settle for less. Fedders type homes should be banned, there is no excuse.

Plus residential structures are more permanent than greenspace.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:03 PM

224 posts, read 1,084,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rela View Post
Yeah, well I am an "old school NYer" and damn proud of it. If you despise us so much, why not leave??? You know your the ones forcing everyone out of their old neighborhoods, I much more despise you then anybody else, but thats just me.... I find you "transplants" quite strange, riding your $2000 bike thru the ghettos, $4000 a month rents, viewing the world thru rose colored glasses, DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT REALITY??!... you are taking the pride and soul out of what was once a great city and you call New Yorkers as myself "racists"... Please!! Keep watching Bronx Tale and West Side Story!!! Have you ever been to an actual "Ethnic Enclave"??? You sound like YOU are prejudice towards us, maybe its a complex you have? Your never going to be a NEW YORKER, we are not "old new yorkers" we are NEW YORKERS, you are the weird transplants wannabes trying to be like us!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Yeah, well I am an "old school NYer" and damn proud of it. If you despise us so much, why not leave??? You know your the ones forcing everyone out of their old neighborhoods, I much more despise you then anybody else, but thats just me.... I find you "transplants" quite strange, riding your $2000 bike thru the ghettos, $4000 a month rents, viewing the world thru rose colored glasses, DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT REALITY??!... you are taking the pride and soul out of what was once a great city and you call New Yorkers as myself "racists"... Please!! Keep watching Bronx Tale and West Side Story!!! Have you ever been to an actual "Ethnic Enclave"??? You sound like YOU are prejudice towards us, maybe its a complex you have? Your never going to be a NEW YORKER, we are not "old new yorkers" we are NEW YORKERS, you are the weird transplants wannabes trying to be like us!!!
Good point. I guess what you trying to say is for the transplants to think outside of the box and see things from not a different angle but from a perspective.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Bronx Tale. Heard of it. Maybe I'll watch it on Netflix tonight.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Bronx Tale. Heard of it. Maybe I'll watch it on Netflix tonight.
Also check out goodfellas. Goodfellas and Bronxtale is one of the best Italian mafia movies out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City