Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do they have any prepared food options for the lunch crowd?
The Broadway store had a food bar that looked good. But except that it was very high, I forget the exact per pound price.
Yes, you will be able to put together a nice hot lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The Broadway store had a food bar that looked good. But except that it was very high, I forget the exact per pound price.
Yes, you will be able to put together a nice hot lunch.
Thanks for the 411. I will check it out when they open next week. I'm sick of the crummy delis in the area.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
I like Fairway and I regularly patronize the Red Hook location but I wouldn't call it cheap.

Some things are reasonably prices but many are on the expensive side.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I've given up on Fairway. I remember when I went there for the first time - the prices were really quite good. I used to have a friend who sometimes did catering and used to buy everything there because of the prices. After they expanded, that all took a nose-dive, plus which its staff now seems to be composed only of people who don't speak even the most basic English and people who speak English but don't have even the most basic interest in being helpful.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 PM

113 posts, read 291,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've given up on Fairway. I remember when I went there for the first time - the prices were really quite good. I used to have a friend who sometimes did catering and used to buy everything there because of the prices. After they expanded, that all took a nose-dive, plus which its staff now seems to be composed only of people who don't speak even the most basic English and people who speak English but don't have even the most basic interest in being helpful.
Compared to the much better educated, much more friendly and helpful people at your typical NYC supermarket? On the contrary, I find that the people at Fairway (at all three locations) at least don't treat you like you are an inconvenience to their at-work socializing. They may not be the overly friendly Moonie-esque help at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, but they're certainly better than the run-of-the-mill supermarket "help".

While I like the overall experience of shopping at Trader Joe's, I find the "friendliness" of the checkout staff a bit creepy at times. Why are you asking me about the salsa I just bought? Are you going to follow me home next to try it out?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 AM

Well, I guess in 2 days we'll get the poop on the new store...see you at the wine bar.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 PM

113 posts, read 291,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Well, I guess in 2 days we'll get the poop on the new store...see you at the wine bar.
I think you're thinking of that upscale Duane Reade downtown.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
I went to the Fairway on the UES today, since it was the grand opening I expected it to be crowded.... and it was, so I didn't get to take a good look around. I was only interested in picking up a few things for lunch, so I didn't browse their downstairs area.

First impressions get a thumbs up. I grabbed a bag of cherries (3.99 a lb) to take home to my poor spouse who is passing kidney stones. Also go a salmon sashimi tray (10), a container of fresh watermelon (2.50) and a couple other misc thingies.

I wasn't expecting anything special but the salmon sashimi turned out to be much better than I expected: fresh, tender and fatty. They had your typical selection of rolls available too, but I wasn't too interested in those since most places don't know how to make sushi rice.

They had a very good section for olives, smoked fish, fruits and veggies, and a hot food section (small selection, price 6.99 a lb)... Not bad, I'll head back there tomorrow for another sashimi tray.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM

I went late morning, the line was around the block and down Second Avenue. It was hot so I walked home.
Maybe next week.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 AM

I went back and found the store lovely but the prices preposterous.
I bought a peach and some puffed wheat on "sale" and that will be my total purchases for 2011...the peach was good but cost $.90.

Not for me until I win a lottery or a rich relative I am unaware of kicks off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City