Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:14 PM

233 posts, read 720,550 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an inexpensive place where I could get some dress shirts washed and pressed. I live in the financial district, but I'm not opposed to having the shirts picked up and delivered.

And I was wondering what the typical price for having your shirts washed and pressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
There's probably a place over in Battery Park City.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM

47 posts, read 143,669 times
Oh good, a thread about this.

So, I just moved to Dyker Heights and for the first time since l was a littttle kid, I now have to take my laundry out to a local laundromat to wash it. (My previous apartments all had either a laundry room or a washer/dryer in the unit. Ah, luxury.)

I'm pretty much living at the extent of my means, so to save money, obviously I'm going to take my laundry to one of the myriad laundromats along 13th ave. I did this yesterday (Sunday afternoon) - had 3 bags of laundry (about 2 weeks worth for me and my boyfriend) that fit into 3 of their "double load" machines at $1.50 a machine. (MUCH cheaper than what I paid in Hoboken - the machines in my building there required quarters.)

Each load took about 40 minutes to dry, at 25 cents per 8 minutes... so the total was $8.25 for 3 large loads of laundry. Not too shabby.

The annoying part, of course, was the time factor - took about 2 and half hours from leaving my apartment to going back in, including pushing the shopping cart full of clothes, waiting, folding, etc - and the place itself was tiny (limited seating) and crowded. So although it was cheap and easy, eventually I'd like to live the kind of life where I can drop my laundry off or send it out every couple weeks.

Does anyone do this? What are your experiences? Has anyone done it in Dyker Heights? The laundromat I went to yesterday has a drop-off service for .60/pound (cheapest I've seen), $6 minimum per order.

My bags were pretty heavy, representing 2 full hampers. I'd estimate about 40-50 pounds total for a 2-week supply. So I'm looking at $25-$30 per laundry order, as opposed to $8.25 for the whole lot if I do it myself.

Obviously it doesn't make financial sense for me to outsource this task for 3 times what it costs me to do it myself (and honestly, I could use the exercise of lugging/folding/lugging) but... just wanted to get some thoughts about it in case I ever upgrade to that Life of Luxury.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 PM

241 posts, read 591,641 times
I'm having that very debate myself. The time wasted in doing laundry. And then there is the folding. The part I've hated about laundry the most since the beginning of time is the folding part. And let me tell you, I cannot do folding like they can do folding. I've done wash&fold just once, and I am in love with the folding.

But it does cost like 3x as much.

Convenience vs costs...

this reminds me. My last load is still in basket unfolded.......

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
I'm having that very debate myself. The time wasted in doing laundry. And then there is the folding. The part I've hated about laundry the most since the beginning of time is the folding part. And let me tell you, I cannot do folding like they can do folding. I've done wash&fold just once, and I am in love with the folding.

Convenience vs costs...

I know, I hate the time investment needed. And I can't fold things NICELY - I just fold them well enough so they're not a total wrinkled mess when I want to wear them. Forget about sheets being folded nicely.

Downy Wrinkle Release is my best friend. seriously, we're going out for drinks later, me and Downy Wrinkle Release. Godsend. I never iron anything anymore.

Anyway - maybe a few raises down the line I'll be able to do drop-off service, but for now, 1/3 the cost is the winner.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post

Convenience vs costs...

I used to **** way hours of my precious weekend schlepping laundry to the laundromat, fighting viciously for an open washer and dryer before someone else could snipe it, and then tediously folding my garments in insufficient space. Not to mention the washers/dryers coin cost was outrageous for my neighborhood but there weren't many laundromats left to go to.

Then I did the math- between the cost of the machines, soap and softener doing drop of was adding $5 to the total cost but have someone do all the work for you. Worth it! Never looked back.

My only complaint is that they shrink a lot of my clothes. They must dry them in a blast furnace or something.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I used to **** way hours of my precious weekend schlepping laundry to the laundromat, fighting viciously for an open washer and dryer before someone else could snipe it, and then tediously folding my garments in insufficient space. Not to mention the washers/dryers coin cost was outrageous for my neighborhood but there weren't many laundromats left to go to.

Then I did the math- between the cost of the machines, soap and softener doing drop of was adding $5 to the total cost but have someone do all the work for you. Worth it! Never looked back.

My only complaint is that they shrink a lot of my clothes. They must dry them in a blast furnace or something.
Nah... Laundry detergent is like $12 for 150 oz at Pathmark; 120-count dryer sheets are currently 2 boxes for $5. Those will last you about 65 loads.

I still am not convinced that you're wrong, though. Having someone else do it still sounds like a slice of heaven to me.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavie View Post
Oh good, a thread about this.

So, I just moved to Dyker Heights and for the first time since l was a littttle kid, I now have to take my laundry out to a local laundromat to wash it. (My previous apartments all had either a laundry room or a washer/dryer in the unit. Ah, luxury.)

I'm pretty much living at the extent of my means, so to save money, obviously I'm going to take my laundry to one of the myriad laundromats along 13th ave. I did this yesterday (Sunday afternoon) - had 3 bags of laundry (about 2 weeks worth for me and my boyfriend) that fit into 3 of their "double load" machines at $1.50 a machine. (MUCH cheaper than what I paid in Hoboken - the machines in my building there required quarters.)

Each load took about 40 minutes to dry, at 25 cents per 8 minutes... so the total was $8.25 for 3 large loads of laundry. Not too shabby.

The annoying part, of course, was the time factor - took about 2 and half hours from leaving my apartment to going back in, including pushing the shopping cart full of clothes, waiting, folding, etc - and the place itself was tiny (limited seating) and crowded. So although it was cheap and easy, eventually I'd like to live the kind of life where I can drop my laundry off or send it out every couple weeks.

Does anyone do this? What are your experiences? Has anyone done it in Dyker Heights? The laundromat I went to yesterday has a drop-off service for .60/pound (cheapest I've seen), $6 minimum per order.

My bags were pretty heavy, representing 2 full hampers. I'd estimate about 40-50 pounds total for a 2-week supply. So I'm looking at $25-$30 per laundry order, as opposed to $8.25 for the whole lot if I do it myself.

Obviously it doesn't make financial sense for me to outsource this task for 3 times what it costs me to do it myself (and honestly, I could use the exercise of lugging/folding/lugging) but... just wanted to get some thoughts about it in case I ever upgrade to that Life of Luxury.

Thoughts? Experiences?
I use to live in Dyker Heights and the most I ever paid for laundry was about $25-30 dollars but it was one bag filled with laundry for husband, baby and I and another filled with duvets, pillow cases and sheets. On average it was always between $18-20 mark for wash, dry and fold. Personally I loved it. It gave me more time to do other things like grocery shopping.

Last edited by CD's Only Mrs. X; 11-15-2011 at 01:51 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I use to live in Dyker Heights and the most I ever for laundry was about $25-30 dollars but it was one bag filled with laundry for husband, baby and I and another filled with duvets, pillow cases and sheets. On average it was always between $18-20 mark for wash, dry and fold. Personally I loved it. It gave me more time to do other things like grocery shopping.
This is great to know!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times
use your bathtub, some soap and your fist. - old school type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City