Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 02:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
In Williamsburg, Brooklyn (275 North 8th Street). No where near East Williamsburg's Graham Avenue AKA Avenue of Puerto Rico.
True (its 4 or 5 blocks west of graham which I could walk in less than 5 mins), but its been going on for over a 100 years, probably before there was a difference between Williamsburg and east Williamsburg, and before any mention of an ave of Puerto Rico. Also not entirely sure whether graham aka via Vespucci would necessarily be considered east Williamsburg vs just plain old Williamsburg.

Going down graham, I don't get any feeling that it is any more Puerto Rican than many other parts of the city, which is a shame considering what the street signs say. Doesn't feel any more Puerto Rican (or Italian) as main st feels chinese, Manhattan ave polish, junction blvd mexican, 30th ave in Astoria greek, etc...

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 06-16-2013 at 03:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:50 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Aren't there US Census, NYC gov, or American Community Survey stats on East Williamsburg which would flat out say whether Puerto Ricans are 50% or more of the neighborhood?

I sometimes use this really cool site called city-data and I looked up East Williamsburg on it. It's using 2010 data, I believe, and it currently has the Hispanic (any race) population of East Williamsburg at about half. Now if the entire Hispanic population in East Williamsburg is Puerto Rican and nothing else and there haven't been any demographic changes since 2010 that would increase any other non-Puerto Rican group's proportion of the population, then Puerto Ricans making 50% of the population is true.

So, are the following two necessary conditions both true?
1) All hispanic people in East Williamsburg are Puerto Rican
2) The proportion of non-Puerto Ricans has not grown since 2010

From what I can tell, neither of those are true so I don't see how Puerto Ricans can be the majority population of East Williamsburg.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-16-2013 at 03:03 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Aren't there US Census, NYC gov, or American Community Survey stats on East Williamsburg which would flat out say whether Puerto Ricans are 50% or more of the neighborhood?

I sometimes use this really cool site called city-data and I looked up East Williamsburg on it. It's using 2010 data, I believe, and it currently has the Hispanic (any race) population of East Williamsburg at about half. Now if the entire Hispanic population in East Williamsburg is Puerto Rican and nothing else and that there haven't been any demographic changes since 2010 that would increase any other non-Puerto Rican group's proportion of the population, then Puerto Ricans making 50% of the population is true.

So, are the following two necessary conditions both true?
1) All hispanic people in East Williamsburg are Puerto Rican
2) The proportion of non-Puerto Ricans has not grown since 2010

From what I can tell, neither of those are true so I don't see how Puerto Ricans can be the majority population of East Williamsburg.
Makes too much sense to me, but unless you have some type of illustration that has colors of certain flags that would show otherwise, you'd have no proof according to some others.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,694,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I read a pdf about Puerto Ricans in Mott Haven, the pdf stated that the PR population dropped 60% and the Dominican population grew by 40% and the Mexican population grew by 125%. I think by the next decade Puerto Ricans wont be the majority in the South Bronx as the old timers die out and the ones living move to East Bronx or out of the city. Puerto Ricans dominate Bronx politics, whats going to happen to the Serranos, espadas, riveras, and diaz political machines that had their grip on the Bronx for sometime?
I do not see that many Puerto Ricans around anymore like before. I think that the Dominicans are the majority now of the Hispanics. On the block that I lived all Hispanics were almost only Puerto Ricans. Now for the most part all I see is Dominicans with a few Puerto Ricans... Even on the streets all I hear now is Bachata or Dominican Dembow (Reggaeton). I barely hear Hip Hop being played in the Bronx anymore. Most of the times, Puerto Ricans and African Americans people are the only ones that I hear with Hip Hop. The Puerto Rican population is soon going to be like the Italian population in the Bronx. Also, now In Spanish Harlem (East Harlem), all I see is Mexican and Dominican people. Even in the Bronx, I see more Mexicans as well. In Little Italy in the Bronx, I only see Mexican people living there now. It is stated that the Mexicans will replace the Dominicans in the future.

Why do you think the Puerto Rican population is heavily decreasing?

Dominicans Gaining on Puerto Ricans in City - NYTimes.com

FALLING BACK: A special report.; Puerto Rican Presence Wanes in New York - New York Times

Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 AM

84 posts, read 144,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Exactly. Puerto Ricans may not make up the majority of the total Hispanics in that neighborhood, let alone the total overall population.

Hopefully by now, most people have figured out that what you're saying is pure nonsense (and this post is no exception), so I'm not going to bother. You want to delude yourself into thinking that East Williamsburg is over 50% Puerto Rican, be my guest.
The Puertorican population in East Williamsburg don't have to be the only hispanic nationality in the neighborhood to be over 50%. Obviously, you have not visited East Williamsburg in a Saturday afternoon on a hot summer day to see what I'm commenting about. You just making assumptions based on neighborhood nationality population percentages that are not official (you have not posted any webpages and/or youtube videos to prove that your comments are official and obviously you don't work for the U.S. Census). There is not one webpage that proves that your calculations on the percentages of the Puertorican and other nationality populations in different neighborhoods of NYC is official, meanwhile I've been posting recent proof of what I'm commenting about with a youtube video and 3 webpages. I've even visited East Williamsburg in a Saturday afternoon as recent as this month, when my Puertorican brothers and sisters from East Williamsburg are shopping and hanging out on Graham Avenue and blocks nearby. So anything that anyone comment about online without any actual proof is realistically, pure nonsense. Adios.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do not see that many Puerto Ricans around anymore like before. I think that the Dominicans are the majority now of the Hispanics. On the block that I lived all Hispanics were almost only Puerto Ricans. Now for the most part all I see is Dominicans with a few Puerto Ricans... Even on the streets all I hear now is Bachata or Dominican Dembow (Reggaeton). I barely hear Hip Hop being played in the Bronx anymore. Most of the times, Puerto Ricans and African Americans people are the only ones that I hear with Hip Hop. The Puerto Rican population is soon going to be like the Italian population in the Bronx. Also, now In Spanish Harlem (East Harlem), all I see is Mexican and Dominican people. Even in the Bronx, I see more Mexicans as well. In Little Italy in the Bronx, I only see Mexican people living there now. It is stated that the Mexicans will replace the Dominicans in the future.

Why do you think the Puerto Rican population is heavily decreasing?

Dominicans Gaining on Puerto Ricans in City - NYTimes.com

FALLING BACK: A special report.; Puerto Rican Presence Wanes in New York - New York Times
You have a lot of South and Central Americans moving to the Bronx too. Its got the cheapest rent in the city. As for the Blacks in the Bronx, a lot of Black Americans have moved out, and you know have a lot of Caribbean Blacks, Black Hispanics, and African Blacks.

Why did a lot of Puerto Ricans and Black Americans move out? I think a lot of Black and Puerto Rican families were in these neighborhoods back in the day when it was easy welfare and during the peak of the crack epidemic. I think many people lost people due to crime, the prison system, and Aids. So I think people wanted to moved on to greener pastures and better lifestyles. Ironically, as the newer arrivals tend to work (and as easy welfare is all but gone) these areas are a lot nicer these days.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
The Puertorican population in East Williamsburg don't have to be the only hispanic nationality in the neighborhood to be over 50%. Obviously, you have not visited East Williamsburg in a Saturday afternoon on a hot summer day to see what I'm commenting about. You just making assumptions based on neighborhood nationality population percentages that are not official (you have not posted any webpages and/or youtube videos to prove that your comments are official and obviously you don't work for the U.S. Census). There is not one webpage that proves that your calculations on the percentages of the Puertorican and other nationality populations in different neighborhoods of NYC is official, meanwhile I've been posting recent proof of what I'm commenting about with a youtube video and 3 webpages. I've even visited East Williamsburg in a Saturday afternoon as recent as this month, when my Puertorican brothers and sisters from East Williamsburg are shopping and hanging out on Graham Avenue and blocks nearby. So anything that anyone comment about online without any actual proof is realistically, pure nonsense. Adios.
How would someone know just by visiting the neighborhood where the Hispanic population there is still mostly Puerto Rican? When I've been buy Graham Avenue, though I did see Hispanics in the area, I also saw lots of hipsters (of all races). And I don't assume anyone's ethnicity by looking at them. A very black or a very white person could be hispanic. Just because there a lot of Hispanics in a NYC neighborhood doesn't make them Puerto Rican, as Puerto Rican doesn't equal Hispanic.

You've not demonstrated any statistical evidence to show that the Hispanic community there is mostly Puerto Rican, or that the area is still mostly Hispanic. You're going on a mad national pride thing (yes, I know Puerto Rico really isn't a nation) and the problem is, when people go on mad national pride/racial/ethnic things, they become completely irrational.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
True (its 4 or 5 blocks west of graham which I could walk in less than 5 mins), but its been going on for over a 100 years, probably before there was a difference between Williamsburg and east Williamsburg, and before any mention of an ave of Puerto Rico. Also not entirely sure whether graham aka via Vespucci would necessarily be considered east Williamsburg vs just plain old Williamsburg.

Going down graham, I don't get any feeling that it is any more Puerto Rican than many other parts of the city, which is a shame considering what the street signs say. Doesn't feel any more Puerto Rican (or Italian) as main st feels chinese, Manhattan ave polish, junction blvd mexican, 30th ave in Astoria greek, etc...
Yeah because you not going to find Puertoricans or Italians on every block of East Williamsburg. It's certain blocks where Puertoricans and Italians be at and that's in any neighborhood. The best day and time to really know what's happening in any neighborhood (especially in a neighborhood like East Williamsburg) is on a Saturday afternoon in the summertime. Have a nice suntan, a nice delicious dinner at one of our neighborhood restaurants, a Puertorican Coqui souvenir, a Fania All Stars salsa CD at the Moore Street Market and enjoy.

Manny's Record Shop at Brooklyn's Moore Street Market - YouTube

Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How would someone know just by visiting the neighborhood where the Hispanic population there is still mostly Puerto Rican? When I've been buy Graham Avenue, though I did see Hispanics in the area, I also saw lots of hipsters (of all races). And I don't assume anyone's ethnicity by looking at them. A very black or a very white person could be hispanic. Just because there a lot of Hispanics in a NYC neighborhood doesn't make them Puerto Rican, as Puerto Rican doesn't equal Hispanic.

You've not demonstrated any statistical evidence to show that the Hispanic community there is mostly Puerto Rican, or that the area is still mostly Hispanic. You're going on a mad national pride thing (yes, I know Puerto Rico really isn't a nation) and the problem is, when people go on mad national pride/racial/ethnic things, they become completely irrational.
For statistics evidence, speak to an official U.S. Census employee to provide you with accurate population percentages. Speaking about being rational, learn Spanish then visit East Williamsburg to be able to communicate with the hispanics that you will see in any Saturday afternoon in the summertime, ask them if they are Puertorican or not and count how many are Puertorican and how many are not. You will then feel you visiting Puertorico without having to buy a plane ticket and you'll get to socialize with new people in your life, the Puertoricans that you care less about. You'll then learn that we are likable, decent, respectful and high status people and you'll then have a different mindset afterwards.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Just because theres a parade for a certain ethnic group in that neighborhood doesn't mean they're the largest group there. Bensonhurst & Ridgewood still have Italian feasts, even though they aren't Italian dominated areas anymore, and Woodside/Sunnyside still have St Patty parades, even though Irish people have a small presence in either neighborhood.
Excluding the Puertoricans from East Williamsburg and Loisaida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City