Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
 
80 posts, read 174,477 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Currently the Puerto Rican population can be found in every socioeconomic strata of the city and the metropolitan area. A massive change when compared to the early arrivals in the 1950's time frame (Mostly poor agricultural workers I believe).

What areas especially have you seen a big increase versus the old PR strong holds? A good number of the new "Yuppies" and "Hipsters" I have come across have been none other then Puerto Rican ancestry (Among other Latin American groups such as Argentines, Brazilians, Chileans, Venezuelans).

Like all groups, those later generations born in the United States soon simply consider themselves racially White, Black, or Mixed Americans of Puerto Rican ancestry versus simply Puerto Rican. I think it's a good thing considering self isolation is one of the reasons why the PR community has had so many issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 PM
 
4,947 posts, read 10,811,510 times
Reputation: 8577
What was the point of starting this thread?
Where is this supposed to go from here?
Were you just thinking out loud?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Reputation: 3600
Puerto Ricans are declining in the city, their populations are slowly being replaced by Dominicans and various other Latino groups. Still, they are the majority in most of the South Bronx, East Harlem, Bushwick, Cypress Hills, Woodhaven, and the western half of Ridgewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 PM
 
80 posts, read 174,477 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
What was the point of starting this thread?
Where is this supposed to go from here?
Were you just thinking out loud?
What moderate or affluent income areas have you seen an increase in Puerto Ricans?

What areas have you seen declines in the Puerto Rican population?

Would you say the image of Puerto Ricans in New York City has improved? How much so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Puerto Ricans are declining in the city, their populations are slowly being replaced by Dominicans and various other Latino groups. Still, they are the majority in most of the South Bronx, East Harlem, Bushwick, Cypress Hills, Woodhaven, and the western half of Ridgewood.
I would say I have seen an increase in the Puerto Rican populations of neighborhoods such as Morris Park, Throggs Neck and Pelham Parkway in the Bronx; Park Slope, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst in Brooklyn. A decline in percentages in former strongholds like Mott Haven, Longwood, and East Harlem; huge decline along the Grand Concourse.

I feel the Puerto Rican community is missing a great opportunity along the Grand Concourse and already missed out on East Harlem.

I would say Puerto Ricans are still associated with the urban underclass due to high poverty rates and other social issues dominating their inner city communities but at the same time this is changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourboy718 View Post
What moderate or affluent income areas have you seen an increase in Puerto Ricans?

What areas have you seen declines in the Puerto Rican population?

Would you say the image of Puerto Ricans in New York City has improved? How much so?
There's a decent amount of Puerto Ricans where I live, the ones around here are more working/middle class though and definitly don't fall under the "ghetto" label that most people give them. They also speak English just as well as any American born citizen [well, any citizen that was born in the states].

Many of them moved here from Bushwick to get away from that neighborhoods problems or increasing rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Reputation: 2363
I think University Heights has more Puerto Rican flags per capita than any other neighborhood in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Reputation: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourboy718 View Post
Currently the Puerto Rican population can be found in every socioeconomic strata of the city and the metropolitan area. A massive change when compared to the early arrivals in the 1950's time frame (Mostly poor agricultural workers I believe).

What areas especially have you seen a big increase versus the old PR strong holds? A good number of the new "Yuppies" and "Hipsters" I have come across have been none other then Puerto Rican ancestry (Among other Latin American groups such as Argentines, Brazilians, Chileans, Venezuelans).

Like all groups, those later generations born in the United States soon simply consider themselves racially White, Black, or Mixed Americans of Puerto Rican ancestry versus simply Puerto Rican. I think it's a good thing considering self isolation is one of the reasons why the PR community has had so many issues.
Self isolation, hahaha, I know many pr who are half pr and italian or half pr and black american. Many puerto ricans in nyc are part of different economic strata levels. I used to work in a coop where apartments went for or valued at million dollars and there were a few puerto ricans that lived thier and eventually sold thier apartments to white waspy transplants for a million bucks or so. They all bounced and headed to the sunshine state. My many puertoricans in nyc are middle class or whats left of it and working class to poor or low income. Puerto ricans can befound in most parts of the city. Primarily in the south and east bronx, harlem, les, village, bushwick, williamsburg, alphabetcity, im not sure about queens puerto rican population. There are alot of ricans that are into different subcultures, from hip hop ghetto, to goth, punk, and hipsterish. I dont speak for all puerto ricans, I was raised and grew up in a puerto rican enviornment in the south bronx and closely mingled witj them and every person assumed I was pr while growing up and still do to this day. They are great people and are part of the american experience and the nyc experience. In mott haven many puerto ricans have left to eithet east bronx, upstate or out of state with white hipsters and very poor and non english speaking dominicans and mexicans. Its sad tue number of ricans is declining here in nyc, but hey things change.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-18-2011 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Reputation: 3600
Ridgewood, Woodhaven, and Ozone Park in Queens have large Puerto Rican populations. Lindenwood in Howard Beach also has a sizable PR population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 PM
 
80 posts, read 174,477 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
There's a decent amount of Puerto Ricans where I live, the ones around here are more working/middle class though and definitly don't fall under the "ghetto" label that most people give them. They also speak English just as well as any American born citizen [well, any citizen that was born in the states].

Many of them moved here from Bushwick to get away from that neighborhoods problems or increasing rents.
Well Puerto Rico is part of the United States, a commonwealth status. Only the primary language of course is Spanish. Those born in the states will speak fluent English considering they attend the schools here.

I definitely see many escaping the rents like all traditional groups, however I see others embracing the gentrification. Even new arrivals from the island or 2nd and 3rd mainland born taking advantage of the luxury condos being built in neighborhoods like Williamsburg and Bushwick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I think University Heights has more Puerto Rican flags per capita than any other neighborhood in the city.
University Heights is a very diverse Latin American neighborhood. You may see the most flags but there are more Puerto Ricans per capita in areas like Mott Haven, Longwood, the L.E.S., Bushwick, ect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Self isolation, hahaha, I know many pr who are half pr and italian or half pr and black american. Many puerto ricans in nyc are part of different economic strata levels. I used to work in a coop where apartments went for or valued at million dollars and there were a few puerto ricans that lived thier and eventually sold thier apartments to white waspy transplants for a million bucks or so. They all bounced and headed to the sunshine state. My many puertoricans in nyc are middle class or whats left of it and working class to poor or low income. Puerto ricans can befound in most parts of the city. Primarily in the south and east bronx, harlem, les, village, bushwick, williamsburg, alphabetcity, im not sure about queens puerto rican population. There are alot of ricans that are into different subcultures, from hip hop ghetto, to goth, punk, and hipsterish. I dont speak for all puerto ricans, I was raised and grew up in a puerto rican enviornment in the south bronx and closely mingled witj them and every person assumed I was pr while growing up and still do to this day. They are great people and are part of the american experience and the nyc experience. Its sad tue number of ricans is declining here in nyc, but hey things change.
What I mean by self isolation is considering themselves "Un-American". I know there are tons of PR-Italian, PR-Irish, PR-DR, PR-AA, PR-insert here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Reputation: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
There's a decent amount of Puerto Ricans where I live, the ones around here are more working/middle class though and definitly don't fall under the "ghetto" label that most people give them. They also speak English just as well as any American born citizen [well, any citizen that was born in the states].

Many of them moved here from Bushwick to get away from that neighborhoods problems or increasing rents.
Increasing rent is always the main culprit to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top