Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM

86 posts, read 306,832 times

Advertisements

Again highways will never be torn down, but they can be beautified. Just plant trees on the side of overpasses and expressways, and create walkways and bike lanes on the side of highways and you can make them attractive to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Again highways will never be torn down, but they can be beautified. Just plant trees on the side of overpasses and expressways, and create walkways and bike lanes on the side of highways and you can make them attractive to look at.

This is true, I agree. But I can't understand why the highways and roadways in Florida have nicely cut grass along side the roadways.

Yet here along the Belt Parkway we have dirt and weeds, off the exits we also have dirt and weeds, nothing here is ever taken care of. Over near Bay Parkway it looks as if the dept of sanitation has not been to the highway in a year. NY is really disgustngly dirty.

Why can't our landscaping be taken care of the way opther states do, we should be ashamed of ourselves because our City is disgusting.

and it is also because we have pigs living amongst us, throwing garbage out their car windows.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree if your destination is along 87, however we were discussing LI to Westchester, which would not involve CBX and would be a complete waste of money as we have the Throgs Neck Bridge already.

All bridges are not a waste of money, just the one you are proposing for LI to Westchester.
It's not a waste of money- hell it was proposed and set to be build by Moses years and years and years ago. Originally to Oyster Bay to CT, inter-state made it too difficult, and people on LI continued to axe the deal.

It would save truckers tens of thousands of hours a year. Remember, the majority of the population of New York City, as well as New York State live on the physical Long Island, and a LOT of their goods come from Upstate's thruways.

Also, you are aware western Westchester is almost completely served by the 87, aren't you?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
This is true, I agree. But I can't understand why the highways and roadways in Florida have nicely cut grass along side the roadways.

Yet here along the Belt Parkway we have dirt and weeds, off the exits we also have dirt and weeds, nothing here is ever taken care of. Over near Bay Parkway it looks as if the dept of sanitation has not been to the highway in a year. NY is really disgustngly dirty.

Why can't our landscaping be taken care of the way opther states do, we should be ashamed of ourselves because our City is disgusting.

and it is also because we have pigs living amongst us, throwing garbage out their car windows.
Union Labor, and the fact we have multiple seasons which is much tougher and costlier to maintain.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
We now have the Whitestone Bridge, Throggs Neck and Triborough, all of which connect LI to Bronx, we do not need one directly to Westchester, however I would consider one to CT or RI. It would be a waste of money, and asserting that even Robert Moses wanted it does nothing to support your cause...he wanted highways and bridges everywhere, including right through the East and West Village.

Verdict: Waste of money. I have ruled.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
Quote:
I would rather pay it to the MTA than Saudi Arabia, and the only astronomical cost would be status quo. Yes one good storm and the LIRR is a disaster, but guess what? People telecommute, reschedule meetings, and life goes on. So what's the problem here? Geez.

And your question continues to be the root of the problem: How will people DRIVE? The point is YOU DONT DRIVE! You take public transportation, with expanded rail service, street cars, etc. The CBX would be rerouted out of the city. And I care little for the occupation by LI and Westchester residents...they should be worried about it, not me. These jobs should be for city residents.
Next time take a AM peak Metro-North to Stamford and White Plains and see how people city residents are doing the reverse commute.

Having an attitude of NYC only and screw everyone else does nobody any good.

How out if the city??? where???? To the TZB!? I don't care how good public transportation is sometimes people need to drive for personal and business reasons. The key is to have CHOICES. The New York City metro area does this very well with commuter rail and express buses in the suburbs and express/local buses in the city and the subway.

The ignorance in this thread is just amazing.

Last edited by OrangeHudson; 07-21-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
I would rather pay it to the MTA than Saudi Arabia, and the only astronomical cost would be status quo. Yes one good storm and the LIRR is a disaster, but guess what? People telecommute, reschedule meetings, and life goes on. So what's the problem here? Geez.

And your question continues to be the root of the problem: How will people DRIVE? The point is YOU DONT DRIVE! You take public transportation, with expanded rail service, street cars, etc. The CBX would be rerouted out of the city. And I care little for the occupation by LI and Westchester residents...they should be worried about it, not me. These jobs should be for city residents.
I knew somebody was gonna throw the "giving our money to Saudi Arabia/Al Qaeda/Evil terrorists" spiel...even though the US get most of it's oil from Canada, but that's besides the point. Like I said before Mass transit can be part of the solution, but it's not the end all be all. Tokyo has an excellent mass transit system, but they have traffic that would make LA look like Boise, Idaho. Besides you ever seen those videos of commuters literally being forced onto pack subways cars in Tokyo during rush hour?? No thanks. Even Western Europe which is known for it's extensive mass transit network also has an extremely dense road network. Germany is only 2nd to the US in total road/highway mileage. People love having options. Imagine if you were forced to date only unattractive women who have money...instead of having the freedom to pick and choose. Not such a good idea. You gotta give people the opportunity to choose one or the other without the guilt trip/save the environment/cars are evil BS.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Next time take a AM peak Metro-North to Stamford and White Plains and see how people city residents are doing the reverse commute.

Having an attitude of NYC only and screw everyone else does nobody any good.

How out if the city??? where???? To the TZB!? I don't care how good public transportation is sometimes people need to drive for personal and business reasons. The key is to have CHOICES. The New York City metro area does this very well with commuter rail and express buses in the suburbs and express/local buses in the city and the subway.

The ignorance in this thread is just amazing.
Yea people kill me with the everything revolves around NYC mentality. It's like you can point out who haven't been outside of the 5 boroughs. I got a lot of flack back in the day when I went to get my drivers license a few years ago..."Man what you need to drive for? You don't need a car in New York!!!" "You don't need a license man...this is New York not the south!" that's not the point dummies. I don't like being dependent on one thing and being a one trick pony. At least I can travel anywhere in the country and not worry about how I'm going to get around, or complain about why Houston doesn't have subways like New York...just go the Rental car place..show my license and I'm on way...No stress on my chest!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Yea people kill me with the everything revolves around NYC mentality. It's like you can point out who haven't been outside of the 5 boroughs. I got a lot of flack back in the day when I went to get my drivers license a few years ago..."Man what you need to drive for? You don't need a car in New York!!!" "You don't need a license man...this is New York not the south!" that's not the point dummies. I don't like being dependent on one thing and being a one trick pony. At least I can travel anywhere in the country and not worry about how I'm going to get around, or complain about why Houston doesn't have subways like New York...just go the Rental car place..show my license and I'm on way...No stress on my chest!

Exactly! I'm not some anti public transportation person, but I cannot stand people who think car owners and drivers are some sort of evil people who should be punished. Usually those are the people who have never owned a car or had a driver's license.

When I used to live in Queens I owned a car. It was parked most of the week when I took the subway to work, but boy did it come in handy on day offs and the weekends. I was able to go shopping (outside of my neighborhood), see family (scattered throughout the area), explore the area, take trips, doctors on Long Island etc.

Does anyone wake up and say I cannot wait to drive on the CSB? No! the highway is ugly and eyesore,but the idea of tearing it down or any other highway in this area is just out of their mind.

Last edited by OrangeHudson; 07-21-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
We now have the Whitestone Bridge, Throggs Neck and Triborough, all of which connect LI to Bronx, we do not need one directly to Westchester, however I would consider one to CT or RI. It would be a waste of money, and asserting that even Robert Moses wanted it does nothing to support your cause...he wanted highways and bridges everywhere, including right through the East and West Village.

Verdict: Waste of money. I have ruled.
The main problem with your ruling is that it displays a fair degree of common sense. And as we all know, things don't always go that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City