Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,451,872 times

Advertisements

hey guys, i know these areas aren't Dominican but are places like Northeastern Brooklyn and the South Bronx still the same way like it is as you guys described Uptown Manhattan in terms of crime, drug dealing, and just the "ghetto subculture." Or even worse?

Bc I was reading on another thread on how these areas aren't that bad but after looking at these posts I'm thinking if Uptown is bad I wonder how all these aforementioned areas are.

Also I do agree with the real estate hype being blown way out of proportion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM

180 posts, read 335,512 times
I'm willing to bet that all of the females in this thread who are saying they have never had problems with these types of people are ugly and unattractive.. and therefore, aren't having these same problems as the decent or cute looking girls are having.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM

455 posts, read 652,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inwood-neighbor View Post
Sadly racist, yes, very much so. This has nothing to do with race. It has to do with education and poor distribution of wealth around the world. Period. No money, no food, no education, no for a lot of things which I completely believe people should get and deserve to get. It is a touchy subject and should be dealt with care and respect. I live in Inwood, on the east side. I am a single white female and I have had no problem with anyone. I travel a lot and have never been worried about my place being vacant (that says a lot about the good side of it) it is safer than most people think...

Anyhoo... Don't get mad at your fellow neighbors, get mad at your government officers who are mostly extremely selfish and corrupt; and end up nothing to help out the situation - to educate, to provide security, proper health, etc. That's all I'm going to say.
Ok. I have lived in Washington H for a long time. The problem with some of the residents is that they don't assimilate to the American culture/system. When people don't assimilate to the American Culture (ie: learn the English language, adopt American customs, etc) and remain to live and work by the customs of their native land then they will most likely be left behind. I know a lot of residents who don't speak a lick of English yet receive foods stamps, section 8, welfare, social security, etc. Second born generations who speak Spanglish, don't graduate HS, etc. For some of the residents, there is no point in trying hard since they can get by without putting an effort. The funny thing is that it's usually these same people that ***** and complain about the government.

Before you blame the government, people need to look in a mirror. You control your life unless you allow other people to live it for you.

The whole welfare system needs to be re-vamped.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:31 PM

So are places like Northeastern Brooklyn, the southern parts of Queens, and the South Bronx still the same way like it is as you guys described Uptown Manhattan in terms of crime, drug dealing, and just the "underclass subculture?"

Old 04-13-2012, 03:49 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
So are places like Northeastern Brooklyn, the southern parts of Queens, and the South Bronx still the same way like it is as you guys described Uptown Manhattan in terms of crime, drug dealing, and just the "underclass subculture?"
Crime is higher in places like Northeastern Brooklyn and South Bronx. Washington Heights/Inwood is/was notorious for it's drug trade so I'm sure it's still up there. And yes, the underclass subculture is actually worse in places like Brownsville and the South Bronx.

For comparison, the police precinct that covers Washington Heights recorded 3 homicides in around 2007 or 2008. That same year, Brownsville had around 30.
T

Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Crime is higher in places like Northeastern Brooklyn and South Bronx. Washington Heights/Inwood is/was notorious for it's drug trade so I'm sure it's still up there. And yes, the underclass subculture is actually worse in places like Brownsville and the South Bronx.

For comparison, the police precinct that covers Washington Heights recorded 3 homicides in around 2007 or 2008. That same year, Brownsville had around 30.
T
Thank you so it just makes me conclude that although NYC is the second safest city it has a pretty long way to go from being a "crime free city."

Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,685 times
Quote:
Thank you so it just makes me conclude that although NYC is the second safest city it has a pretty long way to go from being a "crime free city."
Yeah, certain neighborhoods of the city are up there with the worst cities in the USA. But as a whole, it's the safest big city in the USA I believe.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,923,457 times
Quote:

Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,570,308 times
I just think it's sad that we turn such a blind eye to illegals in this country. They shouldn't be here, period! They are a drain on the system. Republicans will never do anything because it's cheap labor, Dems because they'd lose votes. Simple as that. And the American public never demands anything because they are either too lazy, too dumb, or a combination of both.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Lol, taking it back with this thread. The Dominican related thread always seem to become contentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City