Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Anon im sorry but i dont get your point. Well just agree to disagree. I know what i see and have lived having grown up in that area. No one I know who grew up there and is actually doing okay for themselves can afford it or cares to pay the highly inflated market rents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I remember... it's actually in my journal 7/19/10, almost exactly one year ago. I was eating on the 2nd floor of the McDonald's across from the 137th Street 1 train. Saw a girl who gave a guy an attitude after he said some sexually degrading sh*t to her (got the story when I went outside from the 'audience' that was watching the whole thing unfold). He beat her, almost literally to death, with a baseball bat as I sat there halfway into a McChicken and Diet Coke just watching it all. So don't tell me about gettin' smart with these guys. I'd rather play dumb than see where that is going to lead. The truth is that I really was dumb for ever trying to make a go of it in NYC as a prissy white girl without a lot of savings or connections. This is what happens when you are naive (aka dumb) and wind up in the wrong hood, drawn in by the easy commute and cheap(er) rents. I love NYC but laugh when they call these areas 'safe'. I went back to the Midwest and learned to never be open-minded ever again. I'm not racist, I just get it now and will stick with my own kind. Oh yeah, and that part above? You snatched that right before I edited it. You're right, no one should ever tolerate that kind of behavior. I'm just saying that if you stay there, know the consequences. Wish you weren't so damn quick lol. No one deserves that kind of treatment. I think when you live around it for awhile you become desensitized. It's easier just to write it off than to look at it for what it really is. If I was being totally honest I'd tell this girl to run for her life. But that all depends on if you have the means to run in the first place. I didn't. Maybe I just should have become a lowlife welfare case with the rest of them. My upbringing taught me differently and, even in the worst of moments, I refused to give in. Seeing these babymamas with their EBT cards and multiple kids by multiple fathers taught me a great deal. Some of us are human beings and true Americans. And some of us are animals that need to be deported. Eff NYC being a 'sanctuary city'. It's high time that stopped, seeing our national debt. My attitude is that if I can't afford to have kids and have to work 80 hours per week I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for yours when you weren't even born here and came here illegally. They multiply faster than the cockroaches. Actually they are so effin' nasty they give the cockroaches a good name.

I LL march with you to DC, let;s go!!! That's sad that you think you got to stick with your own kind, don;t let the some scumbags change your complete perception. I agree with the whole welfare issue......the system is broken. Drug test, get a job within 3 months, stop having kids if you cant feed them or give them up for adoption if you cannot take care of them.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:18 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post

a I grew up in jackson heights, right next door to another dominican neighborhood- corona- but was always kinda blown away by how "anything goes" uptown really is. one of the only places where a girl walking hand in hand with a guy will still get hollered at.
This is basically it. The Uptown Manhattan/West Bronx culture is entirely different from anywhere in the city. I remember on the corner of my block some Dominican dude knocked a girl out and started stomping her out. Keep in mind that many men walked by and didn't do anything, most likely because the dude was a drug dealer. This up here is literally a concrete jungle. In these places you have loud Merengue and Bachata music blasting 7 days a week but especially loud (like room shaking loud) on the weekends. You walk outside and you have the whole neighborhood sitting in front of the building, the older people playing dominoes, the little kids running around getting wet in the hydrant, and the drug dealers standing watch, doing business, all while flashing jewelry next to their Benz and BMW's. The nutcracker (a mixture of different rums and juices) is the preferred drink while weed is the preferred drug. The stench of weed is overwhelming, so much so that many times it seeps into the apartment. Women are harassed, it is as simple as that. The dude would wait for the female to pass and then he would say something. If she reacted negatively towards him, he would proceed to absolutely berate her. These dudes have a lot of pride, so to show him up in front of his friends is a no-no. I suggest those women living here either grow a "don't mess with me" attitude or react positive to the cat calls. Dominican girls are made tough.

The above environment could shake even the toughest New Yorker down to his/her core, a transplant would get eaten alive. This up here is no joke, hell it intimidates me when I have to walk by 7-8 guys on the corner. I've been everywhere in this city, including Dominican neighborhoods in Corona and Cypress Hills and it does not compare to Uptown and the Bronx. To be honest, I am so proud of the Uptown culture that I degrade any other Dominicans who live outside here. They are not part of the core group. To me they are fake Dominicans. If you're Dominican and you have never been to Washington Heights, then to me you are not Dominican. They have it easy, while us up here have to struggle day in and day out.

I can't stand Inwood. So much drugs. It is even worse than here in Uni Heights. Audubon is another worthless strip. To close it off, I have to say that things up here are better now. The environment I described above was ten fold back in the late 80's/early 90's. Cause along with everything I mentioned, you had gun's fired literally every hour, resulting in multiple deaths. Hell the 34th precinct had 128 murders one year, easily the highest total in the cities history (not sure about the 75th precinct). Back then, the population was really against what they perceived as outsiders. This is shown by the Wash Heights riots in the early 90's. In fact, detectives created a special terms for the murders uptown, the uptown murders. It got this name because every time the detectives went to investigate the murder, the community would not help them, and instead always answer "Me no speakie english". They just would not co-operate and it was very true that many of residents back then did not now a lick of English. Also many of the people who were involved in the drugs had used fake identities here, to escape prosecution, so when a person with a fake ID got killed, they really died as a nobody. Detectives where also very wary about the dangers they faced Uptown, they knew the everything go's/no rules up here, eventually they just took every murder of a Dominican and threw it in the garbage, saying "Ah there goes another Uptown murder". It wasn't till that white boy was killed by the Dominicans, that the cops finally decided to do something.

Anyways, our culture is one of having fun and enjoying ourselves. That means booze, women, music, and weed. We just bring it to America.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
This video sums it all up. Please watch it in it's entirety. I was there, and it was the only time I ever felt for my life.

‪Dominican Day Parade 2010 : Out of Hand (Part 1) Cops mace crowd, then crowd revolts‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,433 times
As a Dominican (and first time poster here), i find these posts racist and insulting, i come across every single day with with whites, puerto ricans, blacks, peruvians and many more from different races who are truly POS....crack heads,low lifes,thieves,drunks,drug dealers,pimps,prostitutes,welfare leaches,criminals, and on and on...)but i know , unlike the racist views in this thread,that these low lifes do not represent the majority of their races, my point is you dont point your filthy fingers at us just because you had one bad experience(supposedly).

i truly believe that we Dominicans are one of the hardest working and productive people in this great country, we are far from perfect, but we do contribute a lot to this country.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
This video sums it all up. Please watch it in it's entirety. I was there, and it was the only time I ever felt for my life.

‪Dominican Day Parade 2010 : Out of Hand (Part 1) Cops mace crowd, then crowd revolts‬‏ - YouTube
Bull****... what that video sums up is a bunch of young idiots acting up, not a whole comunity.
but by your logic, then what do you have to say about this? http://str8nyc.com/2009/09/29/new-vide-nyc-puerto-rican-day-parade-2000-sex-attacks-documentary/ (broken link)

Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You mean Michigan.
Well, I call Michigan the new 'Mississippi of the North' lol That what happens when a state is populated by 'tards who believe manufacturing is going to make a comeback and focusing on one industry is a smart move. Yes, Bronxguyanese, but at least people don't have old refrigerators and rusted-out trucks from 1972 sitting in their front yards rotting (with the exception of certain very blighted sections of Detroit and Flint). The true crown for that sits squarely in Alabama. Also for putting decals of 'Angry Tweety Bird' on their cars, tattoos of 'Yosemite Sam' with two revolvers on their forearms. The brightest and best baby! Even the poorest Dominicans I saw dressed better than them, which is kind of funny now that I'm thinking about it

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-23-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amildas View Post
As a Dominican (and first time poster here), i find these posts racist and insulting, i come across every single day with with whites, puerto ricans, blacks, peruvians and many more from different races who are truly POS....crack heads,low lifes,thieves,drunks,drug dealers,pimps,prostitutes,welfare leaches,criminals, and on and on...)but i know , unlike the racist views in this thread,that these low lifes do not represent the majority of their races, my point is you dont point your filthy fingers at us just because you had one bad experience(supposedly).

i truly believe that we Dominicans are one of the hardest working and productive people in this great country, we are far from perfect, but we do contribute a lot to this country.
The low lifes hold the streets though. Which doesn't bode well for the community as a whole.

It's wild in Dominican neighborhoods.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Well, I call Michigan the new 'Mississippi of the North' lol That what happens when a state is populated by 'tards who believe manufacturing is going to make a comeback and focusing on one industry is a smart move. Yes, Bronxguyanese, but at least people don't have old refrigerators and rusted-out trucks from 1972 sitting in their front yards rotting (with the exception of certain very blighted sections of Detroit and Flint). The true crown for that sits squarely in Alabama. Also for putting decals of 'Angry Tweety Bird' on their cars, tattoos of 'Yosemite Sam' with two revolvers on their forearms. The brightest and best baby! Even the poorest Dominicans I saw dressed better than them, which is kind of funny now that I'm thinking about it
Were the dominicans wearing Jordans?

Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Dominican hoods of bronx and uppee Manhattan are no joke and both equally mirror each other. I used to go to bronx community college and since i look Spanish and also knew spanish from school and living in mott haven, I quickly picked up Dominican culture. Its nice and colorful. I always have dominicans saying to me things like que lo que, mi gente. Even when I visited a couple of weeks ago guyana and met some dominicans who resided down there and told them mis padres desde el campo in la vega, and how I'm from washing tong heights. I had them fooled. Its really great infiltrate the dominican culture and learn the good and the bad as well as ques and norms, this goes for any culture. There is alot of good in dominican culture but both men and women in that society get caught up in the the hustle and want to struggle at life in that fashion. I hope they learn some English. Im tired of ordering food from a dominican chucho frito spots and i have to tell them in Spanish in a dominican accent of what i want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City