Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 11,714 times

Advertisements

I moved here two months ago (around East Broadway Dominican Side) because I was told the area was getting better. Well, after a month of listening to loud music, men hanging on the street corner, smoking a joint outside (yep), drinking from paper bags (also in public) and making their women carry up their bags while they lounge and holler at other girls (REALLY not making that up, I've seen it more than once), I can't help but wonder when it will change.

Tonight, in the middle of the heatwave was the last straw. After a long day at work, I'm walking home only to get my butt slapped (I wish I was kidding) by not one, not two, but 3 guys on a bike. After that they added, "We got the white chick!"

I'm actually Peruvian, and just light skinned, but I have to say it's been really hard not to generalize how these people live. I'd feel better if I knew young professionals were truly moving in.

Does anyone know how it will change, or predict?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Another victim that fell prey to the trap... to the OP, you really shouldn't be saying stuff like that on this cite... people like grigou and abklyndude will assume you are simply a local disguising as a transplant...

Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm being candid. I'm sorry if I want to live in a safe, clean area. I work hard and it's not asking much.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 PM

337 posts, read 968,572 times
You think that's bad? They sometimes grab women by the hand.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
You think that's bad? They sometimes grab women by the hand.
Yeah they do that all the time. Usually Dominican women fall for it. Well you can always yell rape! Since your Peruvian why dont you go live in Junction boulevard Queens with all the other Andean South Americans? If anything there is always Mott Haven, Harlem, and Bushwick for your taste!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 PM

I work on the UWS and wanted to be closer. I didn't want to say it but yes, I've noticed that Dominican women enjoy it even when the men also laugh at them. It's disturbing.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsterV87 View Post
I work on the UWS and wanted to be closer. I didn't want to say it but yes, I've noticed that Dominican women enjoy it even when the men also laugh at them. It's disturbing.
It's not disturbing, it's a cultural misunderstanding. That's just the way it is in Dominican neighborhoods. I should know, I lived in one in Manhattanville. The only time it truly sucks there is the summer, I know what you are saying. It always gets better once the weather drops. If you can deal with another month or so I would stay. Save your money then and hop out when the time is right. The cooler weather will buy you time then and you can find a neighborhood that is more... civilized for your tastes.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-23-2011 at 12:44 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,603 times
Default Damn

Too bad I would have loved slapping your butt my little peruvian princess lol. Just joking but on a serious note, they are lucky you didn;t call the police. Or someone didn;t smack the crap out of them but being a Dominican neighborhood I guess they would got away with it. Animals...I guess you should report the incident, otherwise they will take it as a sign that you like to get your buttocks grabbed. I told my girl if someone grabs, then you punch back hard or stab'em with pen. I don;t see it changing for the better. They have settled into this area for sometime and they are not moving anytime soon. In fact, their population has increased over the years. Just take a look at the parades and the "class" they exhibit. Its a freak fest!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
It's not disturbing, it's just a cultural misunderstanding. I'd rather be around them than be in Bushwick. They respect women in their own way... they're just lively and playful. I lived in a Dominican neighborhood and found life much easier there simply by playing along. Have a good laugh, a stiff drink and a good A/C unit and just get over it already. Unless you want to pay out your ass in rent. I'd rather laugh off a few lame experiences than that.

Being a chick it would have been easier for you, considering they might have thought they had a chance of f-king you, no offence. But as a guy who is not one of them living in a neighborhood dominated by them, its not easy. I moved to my block and I had a trouble for a minute. I basically had to fight most of them one on one. Luckily, I whooped some ass and some were even. Eventually, I called the "homies" and I guess you can say weapons were flashed and that kind of ensured the peace. To this day, I ignore them and they ignore me while I handle my business. I am sure they talk **** but I don;t understand spanish, so I guess its all good.

Why do you think its okay for a stranger to grab and touch your ass? You kind of send the wrong msg, don;t you think? I believe men should respect women. If someone grabbed my sister, I can guarantee they will be lucky to have a hand. No joke.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
As a guy if you go to the following hoods of Washington Heights, Inwood, University Heights, Morris Heights, High Bridge and Kingsbridge and you see those Dominican girls, your tounge will drop to the floor and will be real difficult to get back up. I remember I was on a bus on MLK boulevard, and this Dominican chick was wearing a two piece, you can see her nipple poping out and every guy was staring, she didnt mind the looks. Then again it was a hot day she was probably off to the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City