Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
WithDisp...that logic doesn't fly. I don't send my kids to public school, therefore, according to you, I should not be paying for them. It has never been the case that you pay for things that you only use...so why are you asserting that to be the case?

Our taxes go towards public transportation, like public schooling although I personally don't use it, because as a whole, our society is better off with an educated population, or in this case, with public transportation instead of everyone using a car.

You should try getting a show on Fox News, you would do well there.
Private schools pay taxes for their buildings and staff, and those general fund taxes go towards all our societies resources. That's the norm.

... but imagine the NYCDOE, was at a budget shortfall and created a new tax- one that all institutions of learning may gain some future knowledge from general public schools, and charged a 20% tuition hike ontop of all private school tuitions which would be used to pay for public schools.
That's basically extorting the 'competition' because you have ties to the gov't.

I'm not complaining about taxes going towards roads, or public transit.

The issue is that there is a monopoly that exists over the transit infrastructure of New York, that NEEDS cars to sustain itself financially, yet diverts all that divisions profits to other sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
In 2009 the MTA, and NYS legislature allowed the passing of a transit mobility tax. Which is payroll tax on EVERY employer, and even non-profits in that 12 county region where money goes directly into the MTA.

It's an equal tax too- if you work in Chelsea, which is served by numerous buses, a few subways, and the LIRR, you pay the same tax rate as someone who lives in Putnam who sees 6 Metronorth trains a day.

Also, every car registration STATEWIDE and car rental STATEWIDE holds additional taxes (this stems from the 2009 law) to help fund the MTA.

Mind you, in 2009 when these fees and taxes were enacted it was to prevent massive service cuts. Almost all of which, were still cut.
I understand but unfortunately we do not get to choose which taxes we will pay based on whether we use services or not. If that was the case my tax dollars would not go to pay for schools, libraries, police and the fire department because I do not use any of those services.

That will never happen.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:42 AM

420 posts, read 805,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
No, it was $76.
You sure? I could swear I spent $72 on the unlimited ride every month when I lived here back then.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I understand but unfortunately we do not get to choose which taxes we will pay based on whether we use services or not. If that was the case my tax dollars would not go to pay for schools, libraries, police and the fire department because I do not use any of those services.

That will never happen.
I can understand not wanting to pay for schools or libraries....but if a fire might happen in your own home or apartment building, do you have your own fire engine to put it out? As for the police, if god forbid that you become a victim of crime, are you a vigilante or something? Are you going to take matters into your own hands? lol

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Private schools pay taxes for their buildings and staff, and those general fund taxes go towards all our societies resources. That's the norm.

... but imagine the NYCDOE, was at a budget shortfall and created a new tax- one that all institutions of learning may gain some future knowledge from general public schools, and charged a 20% tuition hike ontop of all private school tuitions which would be used to pay for public schools.
That's basically extorting the 'competition' because you have ties to the gov't.

I'm not complaining about taxes going towards roads, or public transit.

The issue is that there is a monopoly that exists over the transit infrastructure of New York, that NEEDS cars to sustain itself financially, yet diverts all that divisions profits to other sources.
NYC doesn't need cars to sustain itself. If every single tunnel and bridge into and out of NYC were closed (except for buses), I doubt the city would grind to a halt. Manhattan is the economic hub of the city and most of the people get to their jobs in Manhattan by transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
You sure? I could swear I spent $72 on the unlimited ride every month when I lived here back then.
I'll see if I can find a link to the past fare hikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I can understand not wanting to pay for schools or libraries....but if a fire might happen in your own home or apartment building, do you have your own fire engine to put it out? As for the police, if god forbid that you become a victim of crime, are you a vigilante or something? Are you going to take matters into your own hands? lol
To be fair, chances are that the person who's paying more taxes to support police protection probably lives in a safe enough area where they don't actually need that protection. As far as fires go, those can happen anywhere, so you're right about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City