Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times

Advertisements

MTA will screw the customer once more in 2012. Hopefully, the world ends on dec 21 2012.

The MTA Tuesday will unveil a 2012 budget that doesn't cut service or hike fares - but riders may not escape completely unscathed.
Implementation of a previously approved $1 MetroCard surcharge has been delayed but not abandoned, and is expected to go into effect next year.
"It's been more complicated than expected," a transit source said of necessary software changes for MetroCard vending machines and turnstiles. The surcharge is intended to encourage riders to refill MetroCards instead of buying new ones, which will reduce MTA expenses on production, sales and cleanup. The combined savings and revenue is estimated to total $20 million, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority says. The preliminary 2012 budget will include funding to increase staff assigned to elevator and escalator repair, and maintenance.
The NYC Transit division plans to conduct regularly scheduled maintenance on the equipment before malfunctions occur.
NYC Transit officials have conceded elevator and escalator breakdowns are a major source of rider frustration.

Read more: $1 fee for MetroCards may be on the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
No this is actually a good idea. It will bring more money to the mta and it only chargers a dollar for a new metro card. If you want to save the dollar dont get rid of your metro cards. This bill is set to become a law 2013 so you have a lot of time to save your old metro cards.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 AM

For all we know the old metrocards will not work with the new software and we would have to buy a new metrocard on a specific date. MTA will also increase the fares and tolls on 2015 by 7% again.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:12 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,196 times
I get what DSNY is saying, but seriously, how much more can the MTA charge for every little BS thing and how much more can they "cut" lines, service,etc? Do you know how many ongoing safety hazards that they have that are never fixed..?.....even over the span of a month? They don't have time for the basics, but they can think of a million ways to keep jacking up the prices. I've lived here for a few years and it's gone from $72 to $104/month to ride the trains/buses.

Given, they can continue to hike it up as MUCH as they want and we can all whine as much as we want. They could probably bounce the monthly pass up to a flat $200, tomorrow, and ain't nobody gonna do jack sh*t about it. You know why? Because if you hate this place, you just move...like I'm going to!

Reading things like this and how the Hudson River became a huge toilet flush, the other day, just make me smile and confirm every reason I have to save money and get the hell out of this dump. No offense to my NYC buddies on this thread. I like you, but I hate this city with a burning passion as each day goes by. I feel bad for the people in this city. They work so hard and are rewarded with taxes, tolls, fees, fines, horrible weather, crowds, filth....y cucarachas ....well at least the middle class. Upper class is a different story, I suppose.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
I don't see how this is good for the consumer in anyway. Sure, it's only $1 and additional revenue to close their budget gaps, but they aren't using that to offset fare increases. The prices will still continue to rise at the same pace. The NYDN did a piece today stating that the MTA is projecting 2 more fare increases within the next 4 years. I think they're putting it lightly, I expect 3-4 more increases within the next 5 years.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 AM

The MTA needs to make improvements before hiking anything.

Some sort of air conditioning or industrial fans at the subway stations.

Seperate the A train Line into 2 sections: Manhattan A and Brooklyn/Queens A.

Get rid of panhandlers and subway artists (singing, dancing, etc)

Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Look at washington d.c, london or any other big city they charge a lot more for a subway ride then nyc does. Also if you ever been on the buses at least 20 percent dont pay for their ride. I am on the buses often and count it which pisses me off.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
Seperate the A train Line into 2 sections: Manhattan A and Brooklyn/Queens A.

Get rid of panhandlers and subway artists (singing, dancing, etc)
As a matter of fact, there was a proposal about two years ago to revise service on the A line as follows: all A trains would have gone to the Rockaways, with one branch going to Far Rockaway, and the other going to Rockaway Park (providing regular service all day long, as opposed to through service only during rush hours). The C line would have been extended to Lefferts Boulevard. Guess what happened? When residents of Ozone Park got wind of the plan, they started screaming and yelling about losing their express service, and MTA quietly backed off.

Regarding your second complaint, as a former conductor, I'm with you 100%. The problem here is, how do you go about doing it? Previous attempts to enforce laws about panhandling have not met with much success. As to the other characters in the subway, there are laws on the books about noise; you cannot have amplifiers in the subway, for instance--although as I'm sure you know, that hasn't stopped many of these "performers."

Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM

398 posts, read 698,493 times
Disregarding subway performers for now, how about we just get better/more train service? Waiting for 1/2-hour+ on the hot platforms for a rush-hour train is too long. People pile up and the situation becomes dangerous.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
Disregarding subway performers for now, how about we just get better/more train service? Waiting for 1/2-hour+ on the hot platforms for a rush-hour train is too long. People pile up and the situation becomes dangerous.
I will tell you as a Tower Operator with MTA: there is no such thing as a 30-minute headway on ANY line during rush hour. If you've ever had to wait that long for a train, it means that something has happened (and that something could be the result of practically anything), and trains have had to be rerouted. You have a specific incident? Ask me; if I was working at a tower that controlled the part of the line where you were, I'll tell you what was going on.

Just because our friendly local newspapers are staffed by people who know nothing about real journalism, that doesn't mean you should believe everything they report. Particularly as regards subway service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City