Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM

172 posts, read 447,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
That's one week. The next work week is 24 hours. I've heard a FF's wife complain, "He's alway home!" Remember, in most of the US, it's a 56-hour work week, at straight.

As I said, when you work, you work. Still, there are quite a few more expensive cities, and a lot of NYers getting by on a lot less.

I always wonder about the source of that stat, every time i see an elderly relative, who's now collected his pension for twice as long, as he was a FF! Still has a great singing voice, as well, God Bless him!

You gotta do something about that anger ...

so I work 48 hours and then the next week I only work 24??? negative, but that would be cool with me!

I could only think of 1 city that is more expensive then NYC, SAN FRAN and their Fireman get paid a lot more then us.

there have been many studies on it, differing from 5-10 years about life expectancy. Even if it's 1 year, it's not a good thing!

i really don't have anger issues my man, I just get annoyed at people like yourself who think they know all about firefighting!!
until you crawl down a hallway on your stomach at 4am, your ears and neck burning, can't see 2 inches in front of your face, not until then can you really know!!

sounds more to me like you failed the physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkid1 View Post
Big Jake- 56-hour work week average? What kind of jobs are you talking about?
FDs outside the northeast generally only have 3 platoons. In the NYC area, I think the 3 airport FDs are staffed by PAPD officers, who work a 56-hour week, only they supposedly get 16 hours OT every week!
The 3-platoon schedule has FFs work 3 days out of 9, WOWOWOOOO.
LAFD - Firefighter Platoon Duty Shift Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombero2811 View Post
sounds more to me like you failed the physical.
Naw, the psychological!

Didn't have enough anger!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
FDs outside the northeast generally only have 3 platoons. In the NYC area, I think the 3 airport FDs are staffed by PAPD officers, who work a 56-hour week, only they supposedly get 16 hours OT every week!
The 3-platoon schedule has FFs work 3 days out of 9, WOWOWOOOO.
LAFD - Firefighter Platoon Duty Shift Calendar

Naw, the psychological!

Didn't have enough anger!
that 3 platoon schedule has FF's work 72 hours during those 9 days??? what's your point?? and what does WOWOWOOOO mean?

i don't know if you're being facisious or not, but it wouldn't surpris me if you failed the psych, what did you do, draw a stick figure with matches in his hand in front of a burning house?
I still would put money on you failing the physical though!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
that 3 platoon schedule has FF's work 72 hours during those 9 days??? what's your point?? and what does WOWOWOOOO mean?
You're lucky that there's no math section on the FF exam. 7/9 = .777 x 3 = 2.333 x 24 = 56, which is the number of hours worked each week. Common sense also appears not to be your strong suit: W = work, O = off.
Quote:
i don't know if you're being facisious or not, but it wouldn't surpris me if you failed the psych, what did you do, draw a stick figure with matches in his hand in front of a burning house?
I still would put money on you failing the physical though!
You're also lucky, that there's no spelling section. I know there's some reasoning involved in the exam, which makes me wonder, how you found your way through that grammatic fog.
If you're really on the job, you must have passed the physical. Still, I can't help but feel, that you've banged your head on one too many standpipes since! Somehow, you've lost your sense of humor.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You're lucky that there's no math section on the FF exam. 7/9 = .777 x 3 = 2.333 x 24 = 56, which is the number of hours worked each week. Common sense also appears not to be your strong suit: W = work, O = off.

You're also lucky, that there's no spelling section. I know there's some reasoning involved in the exam, which makes me wonder, how you found your way through that grammatic fog.
If you're really on the job, you must have passed the physical. Still, I can't help but feel, that you've banged your head on one too many standpipes since! Somehow, you've lost your sense of humor.
1 day on 1 off, 1 on 1 off, 1 on followed by 4 off. that equals 72 hours in 9 day cycle. do you get it now buff?

Guess I was lucky though, got a 100 on both written and physical.

You're pretty witty, NOT!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
1 day on 1 off, 1 on 1 off, 1 on followed by 4 off. that equals 72 hours in 9 day cycle.
Which equals 56 hours in 7 days. It arithmetic, not calculus!
Quote:
Guess I was lucky though, got a 100 on both written and physical.
Well, there's no way to know if you're telling the truth.
Quote:
You're pretty witty, NOT!
Such a riposte!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 PM

127 posts, read 236,174 times
It's arithmetic not calculus hahahaha big jake slow down make it easier!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Which equals 56 hours in 7 days. It arithmetic, not calculus!

Well, there's no way to know if you're telling the truth.

Such a riposte!
Take it easy Buff! That's all you'll ever be, a Buff.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkid1 View Post
It's arithmetic not calculus hahahaha big jake slow down make it easier!
Another clueless individual

Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM

206 posts, read 294,311 times
Let me sidestep the ****show for a moment and say that if you go to the tutorial class the FDNY provides, you will be prepared for the exam. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be, although the personality questions at the end left me a little confused as to how they are going to factor them into the grade if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City