Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Remember, the median HOUSEHOLD INCOME in New York City is $48,631. That means HALF live on less than that.
Median household income for Manhattan is $64,217...Manhattan is a rich burb.

So if others, most in fact, with larger households than yours can do it, so can you.

But you MUST get a decent rent deal or everything goes out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Who on EARTH would think you CAN'T live in NYC on 75k a year?
It's a stupid question.
Duh.
Or are you trying to make us feel inadequate for not making 75k a year?
Either way, it's still a stupid, immature question.

Again....duh.

Someone is projecting their own feelings of inadequacy.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Yes, if you dont blow 60% of your income on housing alone, or believe that a decent entertainment budget is 35% of your income.

My friend earns $ 65k and lives comfortably in a studio apartment on the Upper East Side. She cooks and shops frugally (ie she doesnt blow $150+ on a pair of shoes). has no cc debt and takes vacations 2x a year. Its definitely possible.
Exactly! Unless you have extremely extravagant needs and wants then you will never be fine with 75K. Since you live frugally and are solo with no kids then you should be ok. You should try Craigslist. I found a deal with my junior 1 bedroom for $940 (although the neigborhood was not that great nothing bad happen to me.). I am planning on moving to Jersey City or Hoboken when i get back on my feet.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
I can't tell if you're joking/pulling my leg or not... but I don't think this is a stupid question. I'm 40 years old. $75K doesn't seem like it buys much in NYC so I'm genuinely concerned. I made $65K when I lived in central Jersey a couple years ago and it was hard to make ends meet. I certainly would never be able to buy a house....
It depends where you live. People have this notion that Manhattan=NYC. There are affordable areas in the boros, Westchester, etc. It's not like the OP is buying a house or anything...

Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Someone is projecting their own feelings of inadequacy.
No. Not at all.
I just think it's strange that any ADULT would question what 75k would buy.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
My career prospects in NYC would pay me around $75K

Would I even be able to live on this income?
It's just me, no kids.

What are typical rents in the outlying areas like Brooklyn and Queens or maybe even Jersey City, Hoboken, etc? What are the commute times like from these areas? Would the commutes be stressful and very long?

Realistically I know I won't find a job making more than $75K. I am middle aged but may be able to find a friend who will agree to be a roommate, so perhaps I could get a 2 bedroom and split with him. I'm way too old to consider rooming with strangers, I'm not a 20 something college student.

I have always wanted to live in NYC but wonder if it's just too far out of reach, too expensive, too stressful...
Wow! You are leaving Greenville. Yes you can definitely live in NYC on 75K. Brooklyn and Harlem have become trendy places to live. You should be able to find an apartment in either area. Be prepared for 1 bedroom rents anywhere from $1200 and up in downtown Brooklyn (I grew up there). New Jersey around the Newport Mall is great too.....the path train is right across the street and is only a few minute ride to Manhattan.

There is also a water taxi that goes across the water into Manhattan. You only live once....I say go for it!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
You can definitely live in NYC on $75k, even in Manhattan. Although if you want to have more flexibility to have a few more nights on the town, you should look hard at the other boroughs as well. I have friends that make this or less and "survive" happily without even roommates. Responsible, realistic lifestyles certainly make $75k doable.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
No. Not at all.
I just think it's strange that any ADULT would question what 75k would buy.
Except the OP was quite clear that he had lived in Jersey before on a slightly lower salary and had trouble making ends meet. So he had real life experience and just wanted to get some feedback to see if other people had similiar experiences.

You did what you always do. Roll your eyes, criticize, and then slink back into the shadows. Why even respond if you dont have something worthwhile to say? Desperate for human interaction?

By the way, little girls with no IQ say "duh" to prove their point. Are you from NYC or the valley?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Of course.

75k gross will net you around 54k. 30% of that on rent would allow you a 1350/mo apt. If you find a roommate you can live in a pretty nice setup. Food and utilities will prob cost you another 20% which is $900/mo. Take another 15%-20% for discretionary spending (about 170-225/week) and you'll be able to have a good time as well.

That'll leave 30% for savings/retirement accounts/ emergency/ vacation.

You can't be a baller on 75k gross but you won't live in poverty either. IF you're smart about it, you can live fairly comfortably.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,176 times
Its sad that this is even a question....

Whose been giving you information about NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City