Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM

244 posts, read 644,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Its sad that this is even a question....

Whose been giving you information about NYC?
I've read a few posts on this forum where people suggest that anything under $125K or so is really tight.

And, honestly, I just can't imagine how anyone swings rent when it's $2500-3000 per month. Just about all 1 bedrooms are in this range and this is the low end. Unless there's some sort of inside scoop I don't know about! If there is, do tell me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
$900 a month on food? I guess that's the budget if you live on nothing but takeout and restaurant food. I got by on less than half of that and that included me going out to eat several nights a week. Not anywhere fancy except rare occasions. And you can find a 1 bedroom in the outer boroughs for $1350, you aren't bound to having a roommate. You could get a nice 1 BD in Forest Hills for that... which is a lovely area btw.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,650 times
It's possible. My GF makes a little more then that. Brings home about 4k a month. Depending on your debt, you could afford a small place in Manhattan or a large place in say Forest Hills, Astoria, Bayside. If you are only finding 3k, then change the max to 2k. We found plenty of huge one bedrooms for 1500. It's possible.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
It's possible, although you probably would just barely get by in some of the citys more expensive neighborhoods. There's still some safe neighborhoods in the city that aren't extremely expensive.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,198 times
I say live in Brooklyn or Queens. With 75K I don't see why anyone wouldn't be able to survive.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 PM

244 posts, read 644,022 times
Maybe my question should have been more clear. I don't just want to "survive" - but is it possible to "live" on $75K? Can I afford a 1 bedroom apartment and go out to dinner at least once per week and go to the theatre once in awhile ... that sort of thing.

I'm 40 years old. I've been a starving college student (a long time ago) and I've done the "poor thing" when first starting out in my 20s.

Unfortunately I'm fairly recently divorced and starting off on my own from scratch all over again. I am considering NYC because jobs would pay me the most there, but would making $75K in NYC-area make me feel like I'm just "surviving and struggling" to make ends meet at all times?

Of course I love NYC, but what is the point of all the wonderful theatre and restaurants if I can only partake once per month or less.

I guess my question isn't as clear as it could be. What I'm trying to get at is could I have a Life on this sort of salary, or would I feel like I'm struggling and being frugal and never able to do anything...

From everyone's responses...it sounds to me like this salary range would make me feel extremely limited and like I was struggling...always...and not able to take advantage of NYC...

Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
From everyone's responses...it sounds to me like this salary range would make me feel extremely limited and like I was struggling...always...and not able to take advantage of NYC...
You must not have been reading everyones, or anyones, responses then.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You must not have been reading everyones, or anyones, responses then.

Exactly.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
Quote:
I'm 40 years old. I've been a starving college student (a long time ago) and I've done the "poor thing" when first starting out in my 20s.

Unfortunately I'm fairly recently divorced and starting off on my own from scratch all over again.
Are you still paying student loans?? Do you have any kids from the divorce? Are you a guy or a lady? You can live rather ok on 75K but don't expect to live in a luxury building. You can live in a safe neighborhood in either a studio or a modest 1 bedroom. Just as long as you budget yourself you will be fine. If you're have extragavant needs and wants then 75K will not cut it.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:46 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Quote:
Maybe my question should have been more clear. I don't just want to "survive" - but is it possible to "live" on $75K? Can I afford a 1 bedroom apartment and go out to dinner at least once per week and go to the theatre once in awhile ... that sort of thing.

Unfortunately I'm fairly recently divorced and starting off on my own from scratch all over again. I am considering NYC because jobs would pay me the most there, but would making $75K in NYC-area make me feel like I'm just "surviving and struggling" to make ends meet at all times?

Of course I love NYC, but what is the point of all the wonderful theatre and restaurants if I can only partake once per month or less.

I guess my question isn't as clear as it could be. What I'm trying to get at is could I have a Life on this sort of salary, or would I feel like I'm struggling and being frugal and never able to do anything...

If you:

1) Live in the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens) and not try living in Manhattan. In the Bronx for example it is possible to find an apartment in a pretty good neighborhood for around $1,000 a month (1 bedroom).

2) Do not create any debt like credit cards or maintaining a car. (if you do not already have any).

3) Use your cell phone as your primary phone rather than having a home phone and thus 2 phone bills to pay every month.

4) Share the expenses of an apartment with a roommate or family member (this would be just to save even more money but not a necessity).

You will live comfortably here and be able to enjoy the many things that NYC has to offer. Have lived here on 75k before....was paying $800 rent for apartment in the Bronx, had a car payment @ $300 a month, car insurance @ $2400 for the year, electricity @ about $150 a month, food @ about $250 a month, cell phone bill @ about $100 a month (had no home phone to save on money), took the express bus to Manhattan everyday to work with a Metrocard, also had a teenage son. Still had enough money left over to buy designer clothing/handbags (sometimes), eat at nice restaurants (at least 4-5 times a month), go to movies, travel and enjoy what NYC has to offer. Keep in mind though, I had no debt....stopped using credit cards a long time ago and instead use my debit card or cash.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-03-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City